PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum chuck setup used for veneer press

Matt Haus
04-04-2007, 3:11 PM
Thanks to those who have answered my questions. I want to know if any of you have used your vacuum setup to run a veneer press. the particular model of pump is the Gast 0523. Just curious if this can be used as a duel role (vacuum chuck on a lathe and veneer press).
Thanks.

Leo Pashea
04-04-2007, 3:47 PM
Yes, that model Gast is fine for both applications. I use mine for both applications you mention, and it works well. (You will want a bleeder valve for your lathe application, as you won't always want, nor need, the maximum inches of mercury that pump will draw.)

Matt Haus
04-04-2007, 4:23 PM
Thanks Leo,

I bought one with a regulator and have not recieved it yet. I am assuming that the regulator will control the vacuum, so I am not going to put in a bleeder valve. It's this one:

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/silogix/JLE200703160001_1.JPG?vvid=61613140&allow_mailing_list=1&allow_track_link=1&track=023775c487-d4952&sp=1

Jim Becker
04-04-2007, 4:42 PM
I plan on using my Gast pump for that purpose as well for its current work at the lathe.

Bill Boehme
04-04-2007, 4:51 PM
Even though it may be a bit of overkill, the regulator is a nifty idea because it does operate with pressure feedback to insure that the amount of vacuum that you want doesn't change as you are turning. With a simple bleeder valve it is possible that the amount of vacuum could change. It is probably a very slim likelihood, but one scenario could be that the pores in the wood could open up after the moisture is sucked out and allow a significant decrease in vacuum with the potential for losing a bowl. Another scenario that is probably even less likely is that during sanding a porous wood could have its pores clogged and result in a significant increase in vacuum which has the potential for imploding a bowl.

Bill