PDA

View Full Version : Shelving

Bruce Volden
04-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Getting ready for the move to the new acreage. SWMBO is insisting on building some free standing shelves in one of the bed rooms. They will be getting painted / faux finish......:( (I like REAL wood). My question is what is the most cost effective material for this application?? MDF, poplar, ply????
The length will be less than 5' with 4' height.

Bruce

Von Bickley
04-04-2007, 11:32 AM
For painted projects, I like birch plywood with poplar face frames.

Five foot is a long span for shelves if you are going to have much weight on them.

Ben Grunow
04-04-2007, 9:45 PM
As a trim carpenter, birch and poplar is all we use. SOunds like you have some long shelves on your hands. Be sure to add a 3/4 x 2 strip to the front edge (or some moulding or something on edge) to eliminate the bending.

I hear a lot of mdf shelving ideas from time to time but I really dont understand how it can be used horizontally as it sags under its own weight even over a foot or so.

Ben

Mario Lucchesi
04-05-2007, 7:43 AM
I would also use plywood as has been suggested above, Not MDF.

Ted Miller
04-05-2007, 8:15 AM
Bruse, If I was spanning 5' I would go with two pieces of 3/4" ply glued then face frame it with pop. If I was going with one sheet of anything it would not span farther than 20" without support of some kind unless the shelves were for looks and zero weight on them...

Bruce Volden
04-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks guys, I am going to have wifey read this tonight. I can and do tell her things quite often, but when she reads my same sentiments from others it only then make sense to her. Once she asked me a car question, I told her, then she aked her brother and got the same answer I had given her :D

I will be proceeding with ply and supports as needed. Thanks again!!

Bruce

Al Killian
04-05-2007, 4:13 PM
With the span of 5', I would add a support to the fron and back. I just built a case for my dad that was 7' tall by 5' wide and used birch ply for the frame and shelfs. Pop for the edges and supports. The Supports where 7/8" thick and 1, 5/8"" tall. I cut a rabbit into them for the shelf to rest on. Then I glued and screwed them to the shelfs. Hope this helps you some.