PDA

View Full Version : Just thought I would say hi

Eric Parham
04-04-2007, 11:01 AM
I have a little time waiting for some glue to set up so I thought I would say hi . I don't get the chance to use hand tools all that often. This past week I have been working on a handrail for a set of stairs I am building. I need to match a rail that is already in the house and the only way I could see to do it happened to include the use of a few of my favorite tools:). It just feels good to sit in my shop and work on this thing I wish I could do it every day. Anyway just saying I love handtools!

Mike K Wenzloff
04-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Hi Eric--and welcome! Looks like a nicely done job.

Questions...what hand tools did you end up using, that you found useful, for matching the existing rail? Any pictures from the end so we can get a better view of the profile? Looks like a nice profile.

Take care, Mike

Von Bickley
04-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Eric,

Glad you joined us.... Welcome to "The Creek"....:) :) :)

Ryan Cathey
04-04-2007, 6:11 PM
I guess no one noticed but, I was wondering how old the building you work in is? That wall looks to be of an early construction. Anyways, nice work! Can't beat the hand tools for a custom job like that.

-Ryan C.

Eric Parham
04-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Mike, When I went to look at it I assumed I could find something ready made the would match. Only to find out who ever made it used a very small bead on the bottom and then a round and hollow to make a profile on the sides. Needless to say the only way I could make anything even close was to do it the same way. So out came the wood planes. I could not have done it any other way. Then I figured why not use a spokeshave to shape the top:) Anyway I use block planes and a shoulder plane quite a bit, but this was the first time I can remember where I really felt like I was building something fine mostly by hand and it was a very good feeling. I do a lot of timber framing but that has a much bigger and stronger feel to it.

Ryan,

My dark, damp and cold shop is in my basement. I think that part of the house is about 100 years old but I am not sure. It is far from ideal but it is the only thing I have:) So I make it work.

I think I have a cut off in my shop. I will look tomorrow and take a pic if I do. I made one out of cherry and a seccond out of cedar that will be painted. If I get back to that house soon I will take a picture of them installed.

-eric