PDA

View Full Version : DW735 Planer Stand and Dust Collection?

Dan Clark
04-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Hi. Because of the sales and rebates, I decided to pull the trigger on a Dewalt DW735 planer. I'll deal with the short blade life issue when it happens, but a portable stand and dust collection are near-term issues.

For the planer stand, I'd like to build something simple for near term use - with wheels, and folding infeed and outfeed wings. Any suggestions? What do you use?

For dust collection, I see several options:
- Let it spray all over the place (Very dusty and messy)
- Get a big DC (Expensive)
- Get the DW735 dust collection attachment (may be OK)
- Get a mini-cyclone, and attach it to my shop vac or Festool DC (Good idea?)
- Other?

Suggestions? What do you use?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks and regards,

Dan.

Sam Shank
04-04-2007, 10:54 AM
The fan on the planer is very powerful, and will push the chips away with ease. A trash can separator hooked to your shop vac will be more than adequate. I just use my shop vac, and I have to empty it very frequently.

Jim Becker
04-04-2007, 10:56 AM
For a planer...unless you really don't use it much, a shop vac isn't going to cut it for collection. The volume of material produced when planing even a reasonably narrow board is substantial. Honestly, without a regular dust collector, the best solution may very well be to wear a dust mask, just let the chips fly and sweep them up after the fact...and outdoors if that option is available. I know this isn't consistent with Sam's response, but it is my best answer based on a number of years of responses from others on the same or similar questions.

Rob Bodenschatz
04-04-2007, 10:58 AM
I bought the Dewalt stand:

http://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-DW7350-Planer-Integrated-Mobile/dp/B0000CCXU9/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-1201435-7036146?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1175698474&sr=1-1

It's very solid & works great. I think I got some sort of deal where I paid less than $99. You could build one pretty easily as well. Buying the stand was a quick solution for me.

I have the Delta 50-760 dust collector and it does a great job with my DW735. You can find one for under $300 if you shop around. You'll just fine with that level of dust collection.

Pete Brown
04-04-2007, 11:01 AM
I also have the 735.

When I ran it without any DC attached, the table was covered in chips (which made feeding in the next pieces difficult because they would get mashed on the table and rollers) and eventually the blower clogged. I was using it extensively to dimension a ton of maple.

I use my cyclone to get the chips out.

I think any suction you can hook up will be helpful, at least to help keep the table more clean. I don't think you necessarily need to go buy something; try what you have first. THe exception being if your current vac is small, you'll be emptying it every 5 minutes. I've filled (and overfilled - grumble) my cyclone drum several times over in a long dimensioning session.

Pete

PS: I built a low stand on wheels that rolls out of the way, below infeed/outfeed height of my other tools. I did this because my shop is tiny. A taller stand in a permanent location would be better.

Sam Shank
04-04-2007, 11:18 AM
That's right Jim. You do have to empty the vac very often. I find that about 2 6-8" boards going from 15/16 to 3/4 = one empty.

The dust isn't fine, though, and it's so much easier to empty a shop vac than a dust collector (I have one with bags).

Jeff Miller
04-04-2007, 11:25 AM
I do not know how well this would work, but I was talking to a guy at Lowes and he said he knows someone that built a sealed box and ran a flex hose into it ,a door for cleanout, and a filter for the exhaust and set the planer on top. He said it worked.

Brad Ridgway
04-04-2007, 1:42 PM
I am in the process of building the planer stand in the last issue of shop notes. You can grab the cutting diagram off the website and probably make sense of how to put it together (save the trim) pretty easily... Currently just building the rolling carcass - may add the support later depending on how much snipe i run into...

-brad

Sam Shank
04-04-2007, 1:58 PM
Jeff, I'm sure that would work. The chip ejection fan on that planer is very powerful. If I did a lot of planing, I would probably either build that or upgrade to a cyclone collector.

Rob Wright
04-04-2007, 3:09 PM
Dan, I have the planer and at first thought that I could use a shop vac and trash can seperator . In theory all of the chips should be in the can, and the shop vac just what small dust made it through. The funny thing is, when I went and purchased a trash can seprator and tried to use it, the sperator lid WILL NOT STAY ON THE CAN. There is some much air pressure/force from the chip ejection fan that I could not even get the lid to say on with bungy cords, tape and then ratchet straps. It made a huge mess becaus I couldn't seal it tight enough to the can. The shop vac was ineffective at pulling enough pressure to even think about sucking the lid to the can. I then went back to wood craft and bought the dust collection kit. The "bag" attaches to a drum with a draw string, and it ends up working similiar to a single stage collector with a felt bag, but the bag is so pourus that a lot of fine dust is created. I will sell you mine if you want.

2 yrs later, I now have a cyclone and have found that the 735's fan is strong enough to push the chips through 25-ft of 5" flex all the way to the cyclone even if I haven't turned it on. DAMHIKT.

I also built a smaller/lower stand with 4-swivil casters from HF. Rolls out of the way, I can use the top as an outfeed from the Table saw, and it rolls under my bench when not being used.

Great planer - and I just turned my blades around for the first time!:)

- Rob

Dan Clark
04-04-2007, 3:56 PM
Wow! This is great feedback. I was thinking about the garbage can lid approach. I think that would work if I hooked up my Festool CT. Like the Fein vacs, they really suck. :D

But one alternative that I wanted was to also use my old shop vac if I was using my CT for other things. It looks like that option won't work. :(

I'll have to rethink this a bit.

Thanks,

Dan.

Benjimin Young
04-04-2007, 4:24 PM
Hi. Because of the sales and rebates, I decided to pull the trigger on a Dewalt DW735 planer. I'll deal with the short blade life issue when it happens, but a portable stand and dust collection are near-term issues.

For the planer stand, I'd like to build something simple for near term use - with wheels, and folding infeed and outfeed wings. Any suggestions? What do you use?

- Let it spray all over the place (Very dusty and messy)
- Get a big DC (Expensive)
- Get the DW735 dust collection attachment (may be OK)
- Get a mini-cyclone, and attach it to my shop vac or Festool DC (Good idea?)
- Other?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks and regards,

Dan.

Careful with the cyclone/vac arrangement. I hooked my DW735 to a Lee Valley garbage can cyclone lid which was connected to a 1 HP 825 CFM DC. The DC could not keep up with the DW735 powerful blower and the dust kept blowing out from under the cyclone lid despite my best efforts to weight it down. I had to connet the DW735 directly to the DC which worked good but filled the bag pretty quickly. I now have a much more powerful 2HP DC and the Cyclone lid set up works fine with the DW735.
Enjoy your planer.

Steve Kohn
04-04-2007, 4:34 PM
When I bought my 735 I got a cloth hood with it for chip collection. It was a cloth chute that tied around the dust ejection of the 735, while the other end cinched around the top of a garbage can. The blower force of the chip ejection drove most of the chips and dust into the can.

See if you can find one of these chutes as an accessory parts.

Bud McCreadie
04-04-2007, 7:28 PM
I'm very happy with my 735. I built the Shop Notes stand last year and find it to be very sturdy and mobile. I use the purchased Dewalt 735 tables. For chip removal - sweep off the driveway.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/golfforedoe/Tools/th_100_1202.jpg (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/golfforedoe/Tools/100_1202.jpg)

Sam Shank
04-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Why not just hook up a filter to the outlet of the separator can lid and bypass the vac/dc completely? The filters are cheap enough, and I'm sure you could rig something up easily enough.

Allen Bookout
04-05-2007, 10:47 PM
I use the Ridgid Miter Saw Stand and Utility Vehicle for a stand for my DW735 and it works great. Use the rollers for infeed and outfeed instead of tables. You can mount the planer to a piece of plywood and then bolt the plywood to the table to line it up with the rollers. You could cut the rollers off and reweld them in line if you were so inclined. I know several that use this setup and like it. It has been on sale for $99 at the stores but I do not know if the sale price is still on or not.

I tried to put in a link but cannot get it to work correctly. You can do a search at Homedepot.com

[/URL]
[URL="http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0618401430.1175830720@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdhaddkikjekihcgelceffdfgidgim.0&MID=9876"]
(http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1491870352.1175831800@ @@@&BV_EngineID=ccgcaddkikjffljcgelceffdfgidglo.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+3966&pos=n24)

Jules Dominguez
04-05-2007, 11:10 PM
I purchased the accessory hose and fabric hood for my 735 shortly after I got it a year or so ago. The hood attaches to a plastic garbage can with a drawstring, and it works pretty well for me. Some of the fine stuff undoubtedly comes through the fabric hood, but it catches all of the chips and it's an easy job to take the hood loose and empty the can. Just don't forget to empty it before it fills up. DAMHIKT!

If you plan to use the planer both frequently and heavily, or are allergic to wood dust, or are just paranoid about fine dust, you'll want to hook it up to a good dust collection system.

If you connect it to anything that throttles the air flow from the internal blower, the chips could gum up the works and cause damage to the planer, so that's definitely not a good idea.

I initially considered using the planer at an open basement door and letting it blow the chips out into the back yard. I actually did that while planing wood to make a stand for it, and it's both a noise nuisance to the neighbors and makes a mess in the yard, so that wasn't a viable option for me.

Art Mulder
04-06-2007, 8:29 AM
For the planer stand, ...

Dan,

I built a flip-top stand (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51623) for my DW735. Works great, and fairly simple to build.

For DC, I have a 2HP single-bag import DC serving my basement shop. With an upgraded upper bag and a plastic lower bag, I think it does an adequate job.

You didn't tell us what kind of a shop you are in. Basement? Detached? Garage? Are you in a warm or cold climate?

The safety instructions for the DW735 advise that you should not run the planer without some sort of DC method connected. This is because they are afraid of you sticking your fingers in the chip connection pipe and getting them mangled by the blower fan.

If you plane outside, and don't care that much about dust, you could just hook on a chunk of 4" hose, do your planing, and then sweep or shovel up the pile of chips afterwards. If you plane inside, you will need some sort of DC.

Dewalt sells a sort of garbage-can attachment. It is a short length of 4" hose, which connects to a fabric bag that you attach to the top of a trash can. This is good for outdoor usage, or if you use a dust mask, as it will not stop fine dust from escaping. I've seen it used at shows, and it does catch all the chips, but the fine dust blows through it.

As for infeed/outfeed. I find that an odd subject. Lots of people say that you need them to prevent snipe on this model of planer. But I've had my DW735 since fall, and run a few projects through it, and had virtually no snipe at all. And I do NOT have infeed/outfeed tables. :confused:

James Suzda
04-06-2007, 9:20 AM
I have a "made myself" pre-separator copied after this plan from Woodcraft (http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid=408) hooked up to my small 1 hp Delta DC and the whole thing works pretty good. Unless the hose comes off the 735 then it makes a big mess in the garage!!
The garbage can is a lot easier and faster to dump than taking the bag off the dust collector.
Jim

Dan Clark
04-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I appreciate the great feedback.

My "shop" is my garage. Unfortunately, my shop has to share with two cars that insist on living there too! So space is a big issue.

I live in the Seattle area. Overall the weather is temperate, but opening the garage is a non-starter. Combine that with lack of space so installing a permanent DC is a non-starter too.

As much as I would like to build a nice table and a get a sophisticated DC, I realized that I just don't have the time now. I finally decided to just buy the parts Dewalt parts from Amazon. The standard cart, infeed/outfeed tables and the trashcan dust bag.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Regards,

Dan.

Sammy Shuford
04-06-2007, 11:44 AM
I have the dewalt stand, even though the plainer is a Delta.

It's good, solid stand, and easy to set the wheels down and move when needed.

Dan Clark
04-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Sammy,

Thanks. I feel like I made the right choice even though I'd love to build one.

Regards,

Dan.

Bruce Benjamin
04-06-2007, 7:02 PM
I guess it just depends on how big you shop vac is. Before I bought my HF DC I just used my old Craftsman shop vac and it got practically everything I threw at it from the planer. I don't usually run the planer for hours a day during a project but an hour of planing, (give or take) meant I'd empty the shop vac once. Now, that's not constantly running boards through the planer end to end but you get the idea. It worked fine for me. Now with the HF DC I don't have to empty nearly as often. I did the cannister filter conversion with a plastic bag on the bottom so I can keep an eye on the level of the wood chips.

Bruce

For a planer...unless you really don't use it much, a shop vac isn't going to cut it for collection. The volume of material produced when planing even a reasonably narrow board is substantial. Honestly, without a regular dust collector, the best solution may very well be to wear a dust mask, just let the chips fly and sweep them up after the fact...and outdoors if that option is available. I know this isn't consistent with Sam's response, but it is my best answer based on a number of years of responses from others on the same or similar questions.