PDA

View Full Version : I pushed another one into the Vortex and I've

Ken Fitzgerald
04-04-2007, 1:41 AM
been practicing my pummels(sp?).

My youngest grandson, his older sister and my great grandson are here until Friday. Last night, Nicholas indicated he'd like to turn a pen so we cut, drilled and glued some tubes into the 3 sets of blanks. I took this afternoon off and I started out letting him use a roughing gouge on a cylinder I created. He showed more natural talent than me so we chucked up some scrap 2x2 so he could get used to turn corners off......Tool rest, heel, toe, rotate, move your body. He got tired of hearing me preach that sermon over and over. After he'd got used to that he turned his first pen, a slimline out of what I believe to be padauck(sp?). When it came to finishing, I elected to do that as I value his fingers. He did quite well. I'll try to get a photo with him holding it tomorrow.

Then I preceded to practise my pummels?.....Once again I thought I was at an auction and when Dave Richards was looking for someone to turn some spindles to be used as spokes on the wheel for his sail boat....I raised my hand. Each one has a series of pummels and I'd never turned one. Luckily, I had some scrap 2x2 and so......35 pummels later, I felt comfortable. These spokes/spindles are cherry wrapped maple. I hope this goes better than those knobs I just finished.

The next time someone wants something turned, would someone remind me I'm not at an auction?:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Jonathon Spafford
04-04-2007, 2:35 AM
How do you get yourself into those deals ;) You are getting to be a very popular production turner!!!

Congratulations on the new turner in your family! That has got to be fun... less lathe time yourself, but it has to be worth it ;) Great going!

Christopher K. Hartley
04-04-2007, 5:24 AM
Congrats on Nicholas entering the fold. Let's see now, lathe gift to grandson...new 3520B to replace it...But Honey, don't you think that's a great way to keep him out of trouble...:o Works for me.:D We're going to have to give you Recruiter of the Year!:) Good Job!!

Steve Schlumpf
04-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Congrats on being able to share your interest with Nicholas! Looking forward to the pics!

Nancy Laird
04-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Ken, for someone who got dragged kicking and screaming into the vortex, you sure have turned into a spinney type - production turning? recruiting? You are the poster boy for abysseration, I do believe? Great job. Only one question: how old is Nicholas??

Nancy

Dennis Peacock
04-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Wow Ken....how do you get yourself into those situations?????? :confused:

Hey, when you have time, I need about 35 knobs turned for a dresser. :p :p :D

Jim Becker
04-04-2007, 11:28 AM
And where are the photos of the official abysseration? ;)

Jim Underwood
04-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing that pen!

And I believe the word is "pommels" - the square part of a spindle turning.

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2007, 1:00 PM
Hey Ken I need 46 knobs for all our drawers in mesquite if possible. I also need 17 chain pulls out of purpleheart.:eek: :eek: :rolleyes: ;) ;)

Ken we were taught in the military never volunteer for anything. Keep your lips sealed and hands in your pockets. :p :D Congrats on getting the Nicholas started turning.

Dennis Peacock
04-04-2007, 1:33 PM
Hey Ken I need 46 knobs for all our drawers in mesquite if possible. I also need 17 chain pulls out of purpleheart.:eek: :eek: :rolleyes: ;) ;)

Ken we were taught in the military never volunteer for anything. Keep your lips sealed and hands in your pockets. :p :D Congrats on getting the Nicholas started turning.

Tell him Bernie!!! :rolleyes: :D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-04-2007, 1:40 PM
I'm sure glad that all the harrassment here is free! Otherwise I'd stay broke!:D

Barry Stratton
04-04-2007, 2:08 PM
Great job Ken!!!!! Excellent quality time with the grandkids!

And please add a 16' flagpole to your "volunteer to turn" list, shipped to MN. Hey, its only 1 item.......:D