PDA

View Full Version : Chuck for Nova

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Since I got the Nova DVR I asked about a spindle adaptor or just buy a chuck. I now have a question that didn't enter my mind till working on it tonight. Since this thing will reverse and the faceplate that came with it has a set screw should I buy a Super Nova chuck that has a set screw. I know my Vicmarc doesn't have one. It seems to me if you reverse this thing that the chuck and wood could come off. Is that a valid thought when reversing? Thanks.

Travis Stinson
04-04-2007, 12:17 AM
I've never used the set screw on any of my Nova chucks when reversing Bernie. Of course, I only use reverse to sand. If you did any actual turning in reverse, I could see using a set screw.

Jonathon Spafford
04-04-2007, 2:14 AM
What Travis said.... I don't think a set screw is necessary for reverse turning as long as you are only sanding... if you keep the RPM's down and make sure the chuck is tight on the lathe you should be good.

Paul Zerjay
04-04-2007, 6:30 AM
When you hit the off button, does the DVR have a brake? The 3520 does, and I've not had my chuck come completely off, but it has started to unthread, even with the tailstock advanced. That said, I still don't use the screw. Lightweight work doesn't make any difference. On heavier stuff I just dial the speed down to a stop.

George Tokarev
04-04-2007, 6:51 AM
Brakes and inertial overrun can get you in a tad of trouble, because when you start forward again you'll stuff the chuck against the bearing. Same as failing to tighten any other time, it can make chuck removal difficult. Lot of people use secondary washers, I prefer to snug down and stay tight.

Betting Vicmark makes a locking insert. Teknatool does. Need to ask the question of them. I've never turned with the lathe reversed either, unless you count outboard. No reason to do so that I can fathom.

Bob Hamilton
04-04-2007, 7:50 AM
Hi, Bernie:
The inserts on all three of my chucks have a set screw hole for locking them on for reversing. However, since I have never used reverse except for sanding I kind of stopped tightening them down after the first few times I mounted them. My DVR (not an XP) does not have a brake and does have a fairly soft start, so I have never had any problem with the chuck loosening.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2007, 9:09 AM
Thanks for the info. That helps a great deal. I definately appreciate it.

Jim Becker
04-04-2007, 11:37 AM
The OneWay chucks also support the set screw arrangement to secure the device when reversing the spindle. But they should only be used on lathes that have the necessary design on the spindle...a flat area for the set screw to engage the spindle. OneWay lathes have this. It sounds like your new Nova may, also. Most lathes do not and using the set screw on them can and will damage the threading.

Burt Alcantara
04-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Bernie,
On my 1624 the chuck is attached so tightly to the insert that if I take the chuck off I have to be careful not to take the insert with it. Since I don't have a spanner wrench I do a lot of jiggling to get them separated.

I use the grub on the insert but didn't even know there was one on the G3. Never had any problems with loose chucks going both ways.

Burt

George Tokarev
04-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Get a thin-section set of channel locks and you should be able to reach behind the chuck body easily. I've had good results with this, rather than the inertial takeoff method using the pin spanner from my original Novas, which was my old method. Mine are the kind where the section is made of a series of plates rivited together versus cast.

Kevin McPeek
04-05-2007, 12:25 AM
I have had a chuck loosen while reverse turning. I only use the set screws when I am working on something that I will do real turning in reverse. Otherwise they live in the magnetic bowl I keep for when I change jaws. Thats saved lots of screws from the wood chip demise.
I do recommend not leaving the screws in the insert/faceplate if they are not tight. I had a screw back out a little then the chuck came loose and it boogered up my threads a little, also make sure you back them way out or remove them completely before taking off the chuck/faceplate. DAMHIKT

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks everyone. I got it that no one uses the set screw anyway so I ordered the Vicmarc chuck since I already had one with different jaws for it already. I order a small set of inch jaws.