PDA

View Full Version : Help please!

Geoffrey Frey
04-04-2007, 12:04 AM
Hello all. I am new to the Creek, although I have been lurking awhile, I haven't posted before. I'd like to say thank you for all the great info you guys (and gals) provide.
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about a stupid mistake I made. I'm making a deacon's bench for my in-laws (out-laws:p ), and when I was assembling the carcase (20" deep x 48" long) I was a bit rushed, which was likely my first mistake, and my second dough-headed mistake was not to check for square. Needless to say, it's not sqaure and I'm out by about a half inch :mad: . I had completely forgot about it until I started to make the seat, which of course won't fit. My question is, what's the best way to fix (or hide) this goof? Should I just cut the seat to fit, or would that make it difficult to open and close because it wouldn't be square? Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Sorry if this is a bit long winded, not very good at explaining things sometimes...

Geoff

Mike K Wenzloff
04-04-2007, 2:23 AM
Hi Geoff--welcome!

How was the carcass joined? Is it possible to cut it apart and rejoin it--albeit a bit shorter than planned and then cut the seat to fit?

Take care, Mike

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-04-2007, 8:34 AM
Either do what mike suggested or cut the seat out of squareto fit and tell 'em the Decon was Dyslexic.

Geoffrey Frey
04-04-2007, 10:39 AM
The case is just joined with screws and glue. I'll maybe try and cut it apart. I never thought of that. Thanks for the help!

glenn bradley
04-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Hope it works out. A little shorter and square will beat original length and crooked any day.

Mike K Wenzloff
04-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Oh man, Geoff--this could turn out really well because of how you built it!

Remember to remove every single screw. You may, depending on how/what joints are screwed together, be able to remove the screwa and "wiggle" the carcass around and encourage it to come apart. If so, the joinery will still need cleaned up [glue residue, wood bits etc.].

Hate to say it, but be less in a hurry on the next glue-up. Make a dry run with the clamps before glue is used, including however you plan on squaring the carcass during assembly.

Have fun, relax. Take care, Mike