PDA

View Full Version : Houston in June...any suggestions?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-03-2007, 10:35 PM
The LOML and I are going to visit out youngest son and his beautiful bride in Houston in June. They've already planned a trip to NASA for us. Anything else you'd recommend?

Dennis Peacock
04-03-2007, 11:18 PM
The LOML and I are going to visit out youngest son and his beautiful bride in Houston in June. They've already planned a trip to NASA for us. Anything else you'd recommend?

The Peacock Ranch....just off I-40 in beautiful and luxurious Conway, Arkansas. :D

Nancy Laird
04-03-2007, 11:43 PM
I'll second the suggestion of the Peacock Ranch in Conway! The scenery is lovely, the hosts are very hospitable, and if you can talk Tracy into some of her homemade lasagna, you'll have a meal that you'll remember for a long time!

Nancy

John Chandler
04-04-2007, 12:15 AM
The battleship Texas is in LaPorte - basically a suburb of Houston.

Brad Schmid
04-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Hmmm,
Not knowing what you like to do, I can list a few things for ya.

Since you already have Nasa on the list...
Nasa is cool, we take the kids at least once a year and usually spend the better part of the day. Make sure you take the train tour to mission control, etc. But, while your there, you might like to plan a jog over to Kemah boardwalk or down to Galveston for dinner afterwards.

Also lots of fun to be had in Galveston: Moody Gardens, Lone Star flight Museum, Seawolf Park, of course the beach, etc.

Tons of Museums and theaters all over Houston, (probably 30-40 different ones). Could always catch an Astros game at MinuteMaid Park (it's a nice stadium to watch a game) and in June they'll have the roof closed and the AC on if its real hot.

If ya'll like to shop, there's always the Galleria and Katy Mills Mall (massive) as standouts.

Then there's always San Jacinto Battleground, Houston Zoo, George Ranch historical park, and Downtown Aquarium...

'Course if ya like the nightlife, there's plenty of that to go around too, not to mention thousands of restaurants (theres 3551 restaurants within a 15 mile radius of where I work and that's 20 miles from downtown).

Then theres always Battleship Texas or Houston Raceway Park (drag racing). Probably will also be at least one event, either a festival or something at one of the convention centers....

Well, if thats not enough to keep you busy, you could stop by Katy and maybe we can get our SMC contingency together for some BBQ and cold beverage at one of the local establishments:D

You tired yet??? :D
BTW - in what part of town does your son and his wife live?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-04-2007, 1:23 AM
Brad.............Didn't even think about the baseball park but I'm sure my son did! My wife's a rabid baseball fan and he inherited it. She wants to attend a game in every major league park. I go along and I want to have a beer in every major league park. As I do the city driving, I limit myself to one but hey....guy's got to do something during a ball game!

Mike and his wife live in Pearland. Keep in touch, I think he's got something planned.

Martin Shupe
04-04-2007, 3:02 AM
The battleship Texas is in LaPorte - basically a suburb of Houston.

Don't forget the San Jacinto Monument....10' taller than the Washington Monument. Right across the street from the big grey boat.

Mitchell Andrus
04-04-2007, 8:30 AM
Backstage tour of the Astrodome.

Jim O'Dell
04-04-2007, 8:30 AM
My best thought would be a hotel with good air conditioning! (and not in a flood prone area). :D :D Jim.

Tom Hamilton
04-04-2007, 9:29 AM
Hi Ken: You've got a pretty complete list already, enough to keep you busy for the first day or two.

You might enjoy Bayou Bend, the former home of Miss Ima Hogg. If has one of the finest collections of America/European furniture in the country. Here's a link: http://www.mfah.org/bayoubend/main.asp?target=home.

Also, The Cutting Edge, a great woodworking store, with special emphasis on turning is about 15 minutes from Pearland: www.cuttingedgetools.com/ (http://www.cuttingedgetools.com/).

Oh, when you're outside it will warm and humid. I promise.

When you get your schedule together please let me know. We'll have a meet and greet in my shop.

Best regards, Tom, in Pearland, with an air conditioned shop.

Eddie Watkins
04-04-2007, 9:49 AM
Shorts!:rolleyes: I don't think San Antonio is too far away and they have a ea World there.

Eddie

Curt Harms
04-04-2007, 10:25 AM
My best thought would be a hotel with good air conditioning! (and not in a flood prone area). :D :D Jim.
I think the hottest(most miserable) I've ever experienced was in Houston. I was there for a few days, the high one day was 107 and humid. It wasn't fit to be out past about 8:30 in the morning. Winters are nice though;)

Curt

John Chandler
04-06-2007, 9:15 PM
Shorts!:rolleyes: I don't think San Antonio is too far away and they have a ea World there.

Eddie

San Antonio is about 200 miles from Houston.

Jim Becker
04-06-2007, 9:37 PM
I'm glad it's going to be "Houston in mid-April" for me. I'm saving San Antonio for May...and neither one for the hot steamies if I'm lucky! :)

Jim O'Dell
04-06-2007, 10:20 PM
The worst I've been in heat was Houston in mid July for the dog shows. Try loading eveything back in the van for 4 dogs, and all their crates and our luggage, in the 105 heat with rain. Doesn't make for an enjoyable 4 1/2 hour trip back to Fort Worth! You start out the trip wiped out, and then have to fight Houston traffic! Not fun. I don't know how you Houstonians do it day after day. Jim.