PDA

View Full Version : You say timber, I say Lumber

Tim Wagner
04-03-2007, 10:25 PM
How do you refer to your wood?

Saw (pun intended) a diy show, and in it the one guy aussy, he said in australia, they refer to 2X4's and other premilled wood as timber, and the logs, and freshly cut logs as lumber. here in the us it's the coplete opposite.

how do you say it?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Timber in the forest still standing........Logs we call cut timber.......lumber after the log's been sawn.

Jonathon Spafford
04-04-2007, 2:45 AM
Hey... that is funny! I am sure it is them that got it wrong ;)

Ian Abraham
04-04-2007, 6:59 AM
Nah.. but then we have Xmas in the summer and drive on the left hand side of the road too :D

Actually in NZ sawn wood is called timber. That's sawn out of a log, when the log is still standing, it's called a tree. A lot of trees all together is called a forest...

Nope.. no confusion here :D

Ian

Randal Stevenson
04-04-2007, 8:05 AM
Nah.. but then we have Xmas in the summer and drive on the left hand side of the road too :D

Actually in NZ sawn wood is called timber. That's sawn out of a log, when the log is still standing, it's called a tree. A lot of trees all together is called a forest...

Nope.. no confusion here :D

Ian

Ok, so your roads were designed by left handers:D
Here a Forrest is a blade, and a lot of tree's together, means there are still projects to build.;)

Fred Voorhees
04-04-2007, 8:10 AM
Timber in the forest still standing........Logs we call cut timber.......lumber after the log's been sawn.

.......WORD!:D

Chuck Saunders
04-04-2007, 8:26 AM
I can't see the Forrest, too many trees in the way. Or is that Timbers?

Greg Stanford
04-04-2007, 8:32 AM
When I cut down a tree, I yell "timber"!
Do you yell "lumber" in Australia?

Tim Wagner
04-04-2007, 6:38 PM
When I cut down a tree, I yell "timber"!
Do you yell "lumber" in Australia?

that question was asked and the responce was, "we say get out of the way" LOL

Curt Fuller
04-04-2007, 9:02 PM
I've always thought "Timber" was what you yelled just as you heard the crack from the tree starting to fall. It means "Look out, I have no idea where this sucker is going."

John D Watson
04-06-2007, 7:56 PM
I chop trees, I saw wood, I lumber around the house on weekends and along with Curt I get out of the way for TIMBER.