PDA

View Full Version : sarcraficial fence/Wax

Tim Wagner
04-03-2007, 10:18 PM
I wanted to make a sacraficial fence to fit over my stock fence. I saw one Norm Abram made that was, well the only way I can explain it is, if you looked at it end wise it would look like a squared off lower case h. I have some Melamine her I could use if you think thats ok, or I could get some cabinate grade plywood. Question is how high do you would be a good hight to make it on the tall side? blade side?

Secondly, I took the turtal wax off the table top like was suggested in another thread, but can't find any paste wax the drugstore or the grocery store. Johnsons was suggested, but if I can't find that, what other brandnames should I look for? I found some online (several actualy) and one was a staple wax that was silicon free and described as usable on machine surfaces. Can i find this at lowes, since I am not allowed to go to HD anymore (another storie).

thanks.

Joe Spear
04-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Too bad you can't go to HD. I got a can of Butcher's bowling alley wax there on clearance. They may sell the Johnson's paste wax also. Wal-Mart may have a furniture or floor paste wax. Any brand will do. Also try K-Mart or Lowe's. Renaissance wax is also great, at around $20 a can. (You use only a little, and it lasts a long time. Rockler may have it, or Lee Valley.)

Rick Schubert
04-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Tim, I built a fence similar to this link that has worked well for me. It is about 8" high.

http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/fence.html

I hope this helps. Rick

Mike Langford
04-03-2007, 10:56 PM
I've bought Johnson's at Lowes.....(in the cleaning aisle with the brooms,mops,air freshners,etc.)

Jim Becker
04-04-2007, 9:54 AM
Looks for "SC Johnson Wax" or the Butcher's product mentioned above. You can also use the Miniwax product...

Jeff Miller
04-04-2007, 9:59 AM
You can get "SC Johnson Wax" at Ace Hardware:cool:

Tim Wagner
04-04-2007, 7:52 PM
Got the SC johnsons. Now as far as the fence go's. I don't have a kregg jig for making pocket screws. the post in the link above has the horizontal peice inbetween the two vertical peices. can I screw from the outsides into the middle peice

Jim Becker
04-04-2007, 7:54 PM
I don't have a kregg jig for making pocket screws.
And your excuse is??? :D (sorry...couldn't resist...)

glenn bradley
04-04-2007, 8:02 PM
Lowes online:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=44690-1260-4650000203

I see some folks selling this as high as $12. Hmmmmm. I wouldn't go there. As far as height; tall side - 6 to 8" depending on your needs. I make it with the reverse side sporting a 1" high strip about 2" wide to allow thin strips to be cut while leaving some room to get by. Meaning it's reversible.

David Gunn
04-05-2007, 9:57 AM
Tim, you can put screws through from the outside. Drill pilot holes with countersinks first though. That way you make sure the head of the screw does not stick out at all.

Or you could get yourself a new toy..I mean tool.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=205297-39450-MKJKIT&lpage=none

I have this and use it a lot. There are several bigger sets,but I get by fine with this for only $20.

Lee Schierer
04-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I made a cover for my Beismeyer fence Fence Cover (http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/fence.html)

It has been good for what I do. I even use it to cut raised panel doors.

Kyle Kraft
04-05-2007, 1:59 PM
Lowes has JPW in the cleaning chemicals aisle.

Pete Brown
04-05-2007, 3:08 PM
Can i find this at lowes, since I am not allowed to go to HD anymore (another storie).
You have me curious as to why you're not allowed. Anyway, could a friend or relative go in for you?

I made a fence like what you're describing as a quick and dirty resaw fence for my bandsaw (it has worked quite well). The face is a piece of white melamine covered particle board about 8" tall. I used pocket hole screws to assemble it.

You also need to make sure you have a way to secure it to the real fence so that it doesn't move.

Pete

richard poitras
04-05-2007, 3:38 PM
you can also get johnson wax at meijer's stores in the paint area, i think it was about $6.00

Jim C Bradley
04-05-2007, 4:09 PM
I purchased Johnson's paste wax at Lowe's. HD did not carry it. I had some of the wax and was ready to use it on my table saw until I read "non-skid for floors."
The purchase I made at Lowe's did not say non-skid. It really ment that there was no non-skid added. I waxed the saw table. I'm afraid to lay my safety glasses on the table for fear they will slide off the far side of the table and land on the floor. THAT STUFF IS SLIPPERY!!!
The can, which contained a supply that will last several lifetimes, cost Four Dollars and change at Lowe's.
Enjoy sliding,
Jim Bradley

Tim Wagner
04-05-2007, 5:44 PM
You have me curious as to why you're not allowed. Anyway, could a friend or relative go in for you?

I made a fence like what you're describing as a quick and dirty resaw fence for my bandsaw (it has worked quite well). The face is a piece of white melamine covered particle board about 8" tall. I used pocket hole screws to assemble it.

You also need to make sure you have a way to secure it to the real fence so that it doesn't move.

Pete

Actualy it's the family member (my BIL) that said "Don't go To HD anymore. They are !@%$%&&%$") I guess when looking for a shoping cart, an employee told him the the carts were outside in the parking lot, and that If he needed one, he was welcome to go out and get one. He went outside alright, only to get in his car and swear to never visit another HD.
I am thinking now I might want to use wood, I feel the need to use glue also and I am not sure how glue would stick the the malamene,

you can also get johnson wax at meijer's stores in the paint area, i think it was about $6.00

I purchased Johnson's paste wax at Lowe's. HD did not carry it. I had some of the wax and was ready to use it on my table saw until I read "non-skid for floors."
The purchase I made at Lowe's did not say non-skid. It really ment that there was no non-skid added. I waxed the saw table. I'm afraid to lay my safety glasses on the table for fear they will slide off the far side of the table and land on the floor. THAT STUFF IS SLIPPERY!!!
The can, which contained a supply that will last several lifetimes, cost Four Dollars and change at Lowe's.
Enjoy sliding,
Jim Bradley

OK, Don't say nuttin, but I did sneak into HD to get some. got SC Johnsons Paste wax Original Formula. But remember, not a word!

Tim Wagner
04-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Tim, I built a fence similar to this link that has worked well for me. It is about 8" high.

http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/fence.html (http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eus71na/fence.html)

I hope this helps. Rick
Rick, Do those clamps go through the main fence, or do they just jam against the face it to lock it in place. I am interested in designing mine similar to yours. If I may.

edit: Hopefully birch plywood is ok. 1/4 sheet of that was 11 dollars. I also considered poplar, but a 1X12X6 was 28 dollars.

Wilbur Pan
04-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Secondly, I took the turtle wax off the table top like was suggested in another thread....
Can you tell me how you took the wax off? I put Turtle Wax on my jointer bed, and although I haven't had any problems so far, probably because a lot happens to the wood surface between the jointing step and the finishing step, but I figure, why take chances?

As an off topic tangent, is there a good way to take Turtle Wax off of plastic trim on a car? last time I waxed my car, I got a little too close to the door handles.

Jeff Miller
04-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Can you tell me how you took the wax off? I put Turtle Wax on my jointer bed, and although I haven't had any problems so far, probably because a lot happens to the wood surface between the jointing step and the finishing step, but I figure, why take chances?

As an off topic tangent, is there a good way to take Turtle Wax off of plastic trim on a car? last time I waxed my car, I got a little too close to the door handles.

For the car use a real soft bristle tooth brush.

On the jointer maybe laquer thiner?

Jeff

Tim Wagner
04-08-2007, 2:10 AM
well for me I took brake cleaner (because I have some) and that strips it right off. Can't say I would use that on your plastic trim though.

Joe Spear
04-08-2007, 9:10 AM
Lacquer thinner and brake cleaner may damage paint and plastic. Mineral spirits (paint thinner) takes wax off just fine.

Tim Wagner
04-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Lacquer thinner and brake cleaner may damage paint and plastic. Mineral spirits (paint thinner) takes wax off just fine.

sorry, i was referring to the saw top, were there is no paint or plastic. ;)

Tim Wagner
04-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Thought I would show some pictures of My Copy of Rick's Fence. I of course had to get the Kregg Rocket Pocket tool :cool: and do it right, right away.

I gotta find the right fasteners to lock the fence down, but for the most part there it is.

Rick, you mentioned using a ledger board clamped to your peice to ride along the top. Do you think for this reason I should make a solid trim peice for covering the end grain of the plywood on top?

thanks.