PDA

View Full Version : 20% off Coupon to Home Depot

joseph j shields
04-03-2007, 9:53 PM
Attention thrifty shopper....

Here is a link to 20% off coupon to Home Cheapo!

http://circleyellowpages.com/hdcoupon.pdf

FYI... I just used this at Lowes (they will honor any HD coupons!) Got a nice infrared grill for 20% off!! :):):):):)

Enjoy the saving!!!

-jj

Jim O'Dell
04-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks! But where were you around 4:30 when I went in and got some primer that I could have waited on?!?!?!?:D I do need some paint, some guttering material, and some drainage supplies. I'll make sure to get them all at once. Thanks again, this will save me about 40.00. About the amount I was going to be short for building my first shop bench when these drainage problems resurfaced with last weeks rain. Jim.

joseph j shields
04-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks! But where were you around 4:30 when I went in and got some primer that I could have waited on?!?!?!?:D I do need some paint, some guttering material, and some drainage supplies. I'll make sure to get them all at once. Thanks again, this will save me about 40.00. About the amount I was going to be short for building my first shop bench when these drainage problems resurfaced with last weeks rain. Jim.

Glad I could help you save some cash:D:D:D:D

-jj

Don Bullock
04-03-2007, 10:57 PM

FYI... I just used this at Lowes (they will honor any HD coupons!) Got a nice infrared grill for 20% off!! :):):):):)

Enjoy the saving!!!

-jj

It says, "Void if sold, transfered or copied..."

You copied it and transfered it via the Internet. Somehow I don't think a store will accept it this way, but thanks for trying.:(

skip coyne
04-03-2007, 10:59 PM
I wonder if I can use it at Harbor Freight ;)

Craig D Peltier
04-03-2007, 11:04 PM
When I moved to seattle area.I got approx. 5 10% off coupons.That was nice. So about twoo weeks ago.I signed up saying I moved to the same address as they were mailing them before.I still havent got coupon, maybe there on to that.

Mike Heidrick
04-03-2007, 11:29 PM

You copied it and transfered it via the Internet. Somehow I don't think a store will accept it this way, but thanks for trying.:(

As not to encourage dishonesty I deleted my comment.

Anthony Anderson
04-04-2007, 12:23 AM
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it is okay to be dishonest when using these coupons? A person is only as good as their word. I know that Home Depot does not have the best customer service, but I would not risk getting someone in trouble just to save a few dollars. No offense intended, and with all due respect. Bill

scott spencer
04-04-2007, 6:12 AM
Thanks Joseph. I'll give it a try and will let Lowes/HD determine whether or not to honor the discount.

Jim O'Dell
04-04-2007, 8:24 AM
Well, lets try this from another angle. Joseph, where did this coupon come from? Maybe we could then access an original, get the savings, and still be following the rules to the letter. I guess I missed that part when looking through the coupon. There area a lot of things it can't be used on, but guess I missed the part Don caught. (Good eyes, Don!) Jim.

Tim Malyszko
04-04-2007, 8:40 AM
Just and FYI, there was a big issue a little over a year ago with the Home Depot 20% off Friends and Family Employee coupons showing up on Ebay along with many forged copies. Because of this, most (if not all) Home Depots won't take anything other than the real thing and a number of Lowe's (all the one's in and around St. Louis, MO for sure) will not take either despite what the ebay coupon sellers said.

The majority of the 20% coupons out there, even if they look genuine, are copies of the originals with the expiration date changed. Home Depot went to a one time use "20% employee barcoded card" not too long ago and as far as I know, these are the only genuine 20% off Home Depot coupons out there and are technically non-transferrable, so the only people that should be using them are the one's that HD issued the card to.

So, if you have a 20% off coupon that has no expiration date, or one that was printed out on regular paper, or even on with a perforated edge, more than likely it's a forgery and not valid.

You may not think it's a big deal to use one, but a woman in St. Louis was recently arrested for running an illegal coupon ring. If I can find the article, I'll post a link to it, but in summary, she was buying up all sorts of stuff with fake and stolen coupons and selling them on ebay along with the coupons, netting her a nice chunck of change.

My point... Both Lowe's and Home Depot have been on to these forged coupons for over a year now, so it may not be worth your while, or embarrassment to try and scam the BORGs out of a few dollars.

joseph j shields
04-04-2007, 9:28 AM

Hey Don,

FYI... I have already used it at both HD & Lowes! (Saved a boat load at Lowes on a new grill)

FYI... the link came from Tech Bargains...

http://www.techbargains.com/dealsearch.cfm?vendor=384

-jj

Jim O'Dell
04-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks, again, Joseph! I'll definately go in and ask if it is a valid coupon before I load up the cart and try to use it. Jim.

Don Bullock
04-04-2007, 1:22 PM
Hey Don,

FYI... I have already used it at both HD & Lowes! (Saved a boat load at Lowes on a new grill)

FYI... the link came from Tech Bargains...

http://www.techbargains.com/dealsearch.cfm?vendor=384

-jj

JJ,

Thanks for the link to the "original." I printed that one out and will try it next week. I'm wondering if they'll let me use it for one of these:

RIDGID
Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander
Model EB4424
Price: $199.00/ea

Noah Katz
04-04-2007, 1:32 PM
Note that it also says it's good at only a few specific retail locations.

James Carmichael
04-04-2007, 1:54 PM
Yep, won't be long until they're issuing discounts on RFID cards.

Gary McKown
04-04-2007, 2:48 PM
Hmmm. The way I read the fine print, those few specific locations are only for something called The Home Depot Supply.

Front of coupon says ANY HD, etc.

Dan Drager
04-04-2007, 4:44 PM
Large Box stores issue Coupns to bring in more Business. It is a means of getting you into the store. Their mark up and profit margins are WAY above 20%. Joe has already used this one multiple times at 2 different stores with apparently no crimminal intent. The fact that Lowes will accept it show they just want you there, regardless of your coupon. Now if the coupon is "fake", with numbers or dates changed,well that is a different matter, But to insinuate that using a copy of a coupon is illegal or dishonest is ridiculous. Lighten up and go buy a new tool. You'll be happy and I promise that HD or Lowes will be happy with your business as well.

scott spencer
04-04-2007, 4:54 PM
Large Box stores issue Coupns to bring in more Business. It is a means of getting you into the store. Their mark up and profit margins are WAY above 20%. Joe has already used this one multiple times at 2 different stores with apparently no crimminal intent. The fact that Lowes will accept it show they just want you there, regardless of your coupon. Now if the coupon is "fake", with numbers or dates changed,well that is a different matter, But to insinuate that using a copy of a coupon is illegal or dishonest is ridiculous. Lighten up and go buy a new tool. You'll be happy and I promise that HD or Lowes will be happy with your business as well.

I agree with Dan. More often than not, I'll ask for a discount on any expensive item I buy, and more often than not I'll get a price break for asking. The stores decide whether or not to honor a coupon or any discount....there's nothing immoral about asking if they'll honor it. It'd be different if I lied or deceived someone to get a price break, but simply asking if they'll honor a coupon puts the decision on their shoulders.

Bless me Father for I have not sinned....I asked if I could save $40 on a grill today! The sin would be if I burned the $40 of steaks I bought with the savings! :D

Anthony Anderson
04-04-2007, 5:07 PM
Scott, I am not saying you are a coupon sinner :D :eek: (non religious form of the word, just so the mods are happy:D). But, Scott, if you go in and tell them that you downloaded and printed this coupon from the internet, from a woodworking forum, that someone passed along from a discount site, then I have my doubts that the clerk, or the manager for that matter, will honor the coupon. Now if you do come clean on everything, and they honor it, without modifying the rules and restrictions on the coupon, then I will be very surprised. I have to go now...I need to get to Home Depot with that coupon:D (not really:)). With respect and humor, Bill

I agree with Dan. More often than not, I'll ask for a discount on any expensive item I buy, and more often than not I'll get a price break for asking. The stores decide whether or not to honor a coupon or any discount....there's nothing immoral about asking if they'll honor it. It'd be different if I lied or deceived someone to get a price break, but simply asking if they'll honor a coupon puts the decision on their shoulders.

Bless me Father for I have not sinned....I asked if I could save $40 on a grill today! The sin would be if I burned the $40 of steaks I bought with the savings! :D

joseph j shields
04-04-2007, 5:16 PM
if you go in and tell them that you downloaded and printed this coupon from the internet, from a woodworking forum, that someone passed along from a discount site, then I have my doubts that the clerk, or the manager for that matter, will honor the coupon.
Anthony,

FYI... this is exactly what I did. I told the store manager I downloaded this coupon and asked if they would honor it.... which they gladly did!

I really don't understand a lot of the comments on this post:confused::confused::confused:

The retailer has the choice to honor OR not honor the coupon. It's just
normal business.

-jj

Glenn Clabo
04-04-2007, 5:24 PM
It's like my conversation with a young nephew who was upset with the "discount" given to those of us who are over 55. I tried, and think failed, to make him understand that it's ALL about getting people to buy. If they take the coupon...and you save some money...that's what it's all about.

Lou Morrissette
04-04-2007, 6:18 PM
Glenn, when did you turn 55? ;) :D

Lou

David Wambolt
04-04-2007, 6:44 PM
I used an original 20% off coupon recently at Home Depot when I bought a Dewalt DW3750 Pressure Washer. $999 and it saved me over $200 with accessories. They didn't hassle me one bit and I even checked out at the Pro Desk. A manager must approve any coupon that is 20% or higher at HD, so I had to wait like 15 minutes for a manager to show up.

Anthony Anderson
04-04-2007, 7:35 PM
Please don't take any offense JJ. None intended. I read the restrictions on the coupon and it didn't seem like the coupon could be reprinted or copied (from internet or hard copy). BTW, I said I would be surprised, and I am...surprised. Good Luck, and I hope you save a lot of money. Regards, Bill

Anthony,

FYI... this is exactly what I did. I told the store manager I downloaded this coupon and asked if they would honor it.... which they gladly did!

I really don't understand a lot of the comments on this post:confused::confused::confused:

The retailer has the choice to honor OR not honor the coupon. It's just
normal business.

-jj

Don Bullock
04-04-2007, 7:48 PM
...But to insinuate that using a copy of a coupon is illegal or dishonest is ridiculous. Lighten up and go buy a new tool. You'll be happy and I promise that HD or Lowes will be happy with your business as well.

Dan, in all due respect, perhaps you need to lighten up yourself. I'm the one that pointed out that the cupon can't be copied or transferred. That's exactly what the cupon says. I was not saying that he, or anyone else did anything illegal. All I was trying to do is point out that the cupon might not be good if copied off the forum. After he posted the website with the cupon to print out I thanked him for sending us to the site with the "original" cupon. Nothing else.

If the LOML agrees, I'll go by HomeDepot next week when I get back from being out of town and I'll see if I can buy my sander with it.:D Since I'm buying a SawStop next week:eek: , she may not be in the mood for me to also buy the sander.;) :D

Gilbert Vega
04-04-2007, 7:49 PM
I took a copy of the coupon to the appliance manager and asked him if they would honor the coupon. He asked where I got it and I told him I had downloaded it from the internet. He said "sure we'll take it". I bought a new dishwasher and saved $240 plus I got free delivery (rebate) and a $75 dollar gift card on top of that.:)

joseph j shields
04-04-2007, 8:06 PM
I took a copy of the coupon to the appliance manager and asked him if they would honor the coupon. He asked where I got it and I told him I had downloaded it from the internet. He said "sure we'll take it". I bought a new dishwasher and saved $240 plus I got free delivery (rebate) and a $75 dollar gift card on top of that.:)

Gilbert,

Awesome :):):):):)

-jj

John Terefenko
04-04-2007, 9:27 PM
I have tried several times to load the link that was provided for the coupon and it will not come up. Can someone please help. Is this the correct link???

joseph j shields
04-04-2007, 9:34 PM
I have tried several times to load the link that was provided for the coupon and it will not come up. Can someone please help. Is this the correct link???
John,

The link is to a pdf file. You need to have Adobe Acrobat reader.

If you don't have Acrobat, go to this link and download it... it's free

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

-jj

Ryan Myers
04-04-2007, 9:51 PM
I just used the coupon today to buy a Rigid VS Laminate Trimmer. Cashier asked me where I got the coupon because it is missing the barcode or numbers. I just said off the internet and played stupid:p. She called the managers office, apparently they said it was ok. Saved me $20, so thanks for the coupon. I guess this qualifies as a gloat too.

Randall Davis
04-04-2007, 9:59 PM

I printed it last night and used today at my local HD in MI

Steve Jensen
04-04-2007, 10:05 PM
I think as long as you're honest and don't lie about where it came from then there's no harm if they decide to accept it. I get email coupons from Circuit City all the time, they but are printable but have a code and can only be used once. I've never tried using a coupon like this, but I will try when I buy my table saw and I will tell them exactly where it came from. If they take it, I will still sleep well and feel good about myself. :D

John Terefenko
04-05-2007, 9:01 AM
I have acrobat reader installed and I open PDF files all the time but this one says an error occurred when loading so there has to be something in that file. From the place that it was printed what coupon is it. There are about 6 Home Depot coupons on that site??

Matt Meiser
04-05-2007, 9:30 AM
John, it could be your Acrobat version. I've seen some of the older versions throw errors when opening newer files.

Ryan Myers
04-05-2007, 9:32 AM
My acrobat will load that coupon attached to the link on two different computers. I just tried it again. I think you may have a problem with your acrobat installation.:eek:

Don Bullock
04-05-2007, 10:06 AM
I just used the coupon today to buy a Rigid VS Laminate Trimmer. Cashier asked me where I got the coupon because it is missing the barcode or numbers. I just said off the internet and played stupid:p. She called the managers office, apparently they said it was ok. Saved me $20, so thanks for the coupon. I guess this qualifies as a gloat too.

Ryan, it's not a "gloat" without pictures.;) :D

I'm sorry if I caused any problems by asking if the cupon was OK since it was copied from the Internet. I just didn't want anyone to be surprised at the check stand. It's great to hear that some have used it. Posts like this really save many of us money. I've been able to save a bundle form cupons, free shipping codes and super Amazon deals that have been posted here and have posted some myself. Thanks to all who post them.

Marion Rood
04-05-2007, 4:45 PM
If the LOML agrees, I'll go by HomeDepot next week when I get back from being out of town and I'll see if I can buy my sander with it.:D Since I'm buying a SawStop next week:eek: , she may not be in the mood for me to also buy the sander.;) :D
So according to my rules, safety equipment is not deducted from the tool budget--as it is needed to run a safe shop. Now I would say that a sawstop is safety equipment--not a tool. ;) So transfer the cost of sawstop back into tool budget and you have more than enough to buy sander. :D:D:D:D
Marion

Jeff Miller
04-05-2007, 7:32 PM
I don't know if I should feel bad, but I used it to buy a delta T-2 fence today at Lowes. The sale price was $127.50. The manager accepted the coupon, that took it down to 102.00 then with tax it came to $108.63 out the door. I am happy:D:D:D:D really happy.

scott spencer
04-05-2007, 8:24 PM
...The manager accepted the coupon....

If you like the fence and liked the deal, you should definitely be happy! :)

John Terefenko
04-05-2007, 9:43 PM
Tried using that coupon today at a Home Depot and was turned down. They said that the coupon was last years employees coupon and that it was fradulently spread around the net. They have a notice in each Home Depot from headquarters regarding it. Lowes happened to be honoring it as you can see from others because evidently they are not aware of this notice. Is it right or wrong you make the call. I guess if you ask and they say yes then the onus is on them. Good luck. There are also rebate offers that are going around too from what I understand.

Ryan Myers
04-05-2007, 10:11 PM
HD or Lowe's will usually honor one anothers sale on similiar products. I recently purchased 900 sq ft of carpet at HD because they would match Lowe's 30% off special order carpet. The carpet was simliar to that of Lowe's but actually better. They even through in the pad for free. Then I convinced them to allow me 12 mos 0% even though they were not having that promotion either. All I had to do was ask and believe me when I say I am not the persuasive type.

If your after a tool(s), Lowe's is currently having a 15% off sale in the tool section. So use it to your advantage at HD and forget the coupon.

thomas prevost
04-06-2007, 3:09 PM
Not much has changed at Orange borg. Each store appears to be an independent business where policy is determined each manager. I down loaded this coupon and the 2 for 1 plants. Both from HD 'club' site !!! The store manager would not accept either!!! Nasty as usual, stating as he had in the past, policy at the store was at his descretion. This is the third time he would not honor coupons. Twice before he stated the local ad was run by national and he did not have items nor would issue rain checks or similar items at the discount.

The CEO's recent statement made good press but little else. I understand the blue borg is to open 3 more stores in the area and 84 Lumber has doubled their staff in 3 yrs. where HD is considering closing one due 'limited traffic'.

Al Willits
04-06-2007, 3:22 PM
Kinda says I'd ask before I dragged anything up to check out, they take it, your good to go, if not, nothing lost.

Enjoy the sander Don, I like mine and its been a good little sander for the price.

Al

Bruce Benjamin
04-06-2007, 6:38 PM
If I were you I'd send this info to the special email address that HD set up for feedback. When I sent them an email they called me the next day and talked to me about my comments. At the end of the conversation they offered to send me a $10 gift card for my trouble and a few days later I got it. I'd bet that the manager at that HD won't stick around long if you complain. I really do believe that the HD CEO is sincere but I also believe that he might be biting off more than he can chew. I have noticed a change in the level of CS at my local HD. I've been going there every few days for the past couple of weeks for a job I've been doing and they have been more helpful in the past.

Bruce

Not much has changed at Orange borg. Each store appears to be an independent business where policy is determined each manager. I down loaded this coupon and the 2 for 1 plants. Both from HD 'club' site !!! The store manager would not accept either!!! Nasty as usual, stating as he had in the past, policy at the store was at his descretion. This is the third time he would not honor coupons. Twice before he stated the local ad was run by national and he did not have items nor would issue rain checks or similar items at the discount.

The CEO's recent statement made good press but little else. I understand the blue borg is to open 3 more stores in the area and 84 Lumber has doubled their staff in 3 yrs. where HD is considering closing one due 'limited traffic'.

Jeff Kerr
04-06-2007, 8:53 PM
I tried to use the coupon tonight and my local store said "NO. It doesn't have a barcode and our management says it must have a barcode".

I had a cart full of tools. I appealed.

They asked if I still wanted to by the items.

I said no. Not without a discount and walked out.

Looks Like I'm going to Lowes tomorrow.

Dave Lehnert
04-06-2007, 9:51 PM
I tried to use the coupon tonight and my local store said "NO. It doesn't have a barcode and our management says it must have a barcode".

I had a cart full of tools. I appealed.

They asked if I still wanted to by the items.

I said no. Not without a discount and walked out.

Looks Like I'm going to Lowes tomorrow.
Well if the coupon was a fake they will most likely be glad you go to Lowe’s .I got a charge out of one of the other post that said “profit margin is way above 20%” I work in retail and if you make 20 to 30% margin you are considered GOD! Tools have a very low profit margin except the low end junk stuff. (Go figure)
The place I work we stopped taking internet coupons just because of this type of thing. Anyone can make a coupon on their computer. Yes! You can take it into a store and think. “If they accept it, no problem” But there is a law called Theft by deception.
A 20% off coupon on one item I could believe but on a whole cart load of tools? Come on. Just stop and think about it.

thomas prevost
04-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Bruce,
Why I said same ole was that I did complain once and got a similar $10 gift certificate and a note saying they were sorry. Similarly, many at the two ww clubs i belong to have done the same, but apparently, the complaints stop at first level with an appeasment gift certificate. management never hears of it and It is beyond them to put on a pair of Caharts and visit stores posing as a customer to see it from our side. apparently, it is cheaper to sacriface a store vs time of a $12M CEO to resolve the local problem.

Not only does the store hurt but so do the tool and hardware manufactures. The bad taste sends consumers to internet sales.

By the way both of my coupons had bar codes but the cashiers at this store are told not to scan any coupons without checking with the front end manager.

Pete Brown
04-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Guys, if it's fraud, you can't be upset that they won't take it. At the very least, this coupon was pointed out as being very "iffy" from early on. The case wasn't quite made from the start, so you can't really say anything much about the folks who tried it at the beginning, but there's little doubt now that the coupon was not meant for the general population.

These coupons (and other things) cost a real company real money. Making a value judgement based on the size of the company "they won't miss 20%" or trying to justify it by convincing yourself that you've been screwed by them before is just plain wrong.

A few months back, I shopped at a site and noticed that they had several expensive tools marked as $1.00. I knew it had to be a mistake, but for grins, I put it in my cart and checked out anyway.

Needless to say, the price was not honored. I also didn't expect it to be, and didn't complain or push the issue. In fact, I purchased several other things for the normal prices. Going back, I likely shouldn't have even tried the $1.00 thing, but I couldn't resist :)

Next we'll have people complaining that they didn't take the $100 bill someone printed up on their color printer. Time to get past it folks. By now, everyone knows it's fraudulent. If you're still planning on using it, you are knowingly participating in a theft. It may not feel the same as putting something in your pocket and sneaking out of the store, but it's the same thing. The store being big and unlikeable doesn't make it right.

It would negatively affect my enjoyment of a tool if I knew I got it through something like this - no matter how much money was saved.

Pete

Greg Peterson
04-07-2007, 12:21 AM
If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, then it must be a duck.

Where there's smoke there's fire.

If something seems to good to be true, it probably is to good to be true.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to not buy from the big boxes. Not honoring a suspicious coupon isn't one of them.

Jim McCarty
04-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Guys, if it's fraud, you can't be upset that they won't take it. At the very least, this coupon was pointed out as being very "iffy" from early on. The case wasn't quite made from the start, so you can't really say anything much about the folks who tried it at the beginning, but there's little doubt now that the coupon was not meant for the general population.

These coupons (and other things) cost a real company real money. Making a value judgement based on the size of the company "they won't miss 20%" or trying to justify it by convincing yourself that you've been screwed by them before is just plain wrong.

A few months back, I shopped at a site and noticed that they had several expensive tools marked as $1.00. I knew it had to be a mistake, but for grins, I put it in my cart and checked out anyway.

Needless to say, the price was not honored. I also didn't expect it to be, and didn't complain or push the issue. In fact, I purchased several other things for the normal prices. Going back, I likely shouldn't have even tried the $1.00 thing, but I couldn't resist :)

Next we'll have people complaining that they didn't take the $100 bill someone printed up on their color printer. Time to get past it folks. By now, everyone knows it's fraudulent. If you're still planning on using it, you are knowingly participating in a theft. It may not feel the same as putting something in your pocket and sneaking out of the store, but it's the same thing. The store being big and unlikeable doesn't make it right.

It would negatively affect my enjoyment of a tool if I knew I got it through something like this - no matter how much money was saved.

Pete
I can't agree more. Jim

thomas prevost
04-07-2007, 10:17 AM
There appears to be two different arguments here. My arguement is HD sends me advertizing via email with coupons to get me in the store. I get weekly flyers in the paper from them to get me in the store. Sending me email coupons and not honoring them is FRAUD!! Routinely pulling items off the shelf that are advertized in the flyer is FRAUD. Both occur routinely at the local store and the manager states it is HIS discretion to do so.

glenn bradley
04-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Those of you having problems at HD that don't have a Lowe's right nearby should really let HD Corp know. Otherwise you're stuck with the knuckleheads that are running the store poorly. My HD and my Lowe's took the coupons without a problem.

Larry Rasmussen
04-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Asked at customer service counter and was told yes, not by a manager though. Had a guy put a jointer on the flat cart. They called a manager at checkout due to no bar code. Manager politely told me they had had two or three of the coupons come in last few days. They were originally intended to be used by employees only, they got theirs after a Christmas party. She explained now they are floating around on the net and being copied. (As she was heading out to customer service to have a chat with the counter guy). I did not purchase but hardly see the refusal as a grounds for complaint.
Larry

David Cramer
04-07-2007, 1:34 PM
I've been very, very busy lately and have barely had a chance to check in. My response has nothing to do about the righteousness of using a coupon or not and which store do or don't take it.

I do know alot about mark-up percentages on power tools and believe me when I say this. It even blew me away. I worked in a homecenter and questioned my manager one day on much profit the store makes a DeWalt cordless drill. The drill was a 14.4 volt and the store at that time sold it for $221 and the store paid $209. A $12 profit. I then started looking up and writing down every item that I could for nothing but curiousity sake. The profit is made my Black & Decker, not the homecenter. Even the profit made by B & D is not as high as one would think. Money is made off volume, plain and simple. Sell alot and make alot or the product goes nowhere and evidently gets pulled due to taking up shelf space and not producing a profit.

Another case, the Makita Slider 10 inch slider that's been around for 8 plus years. Lowes and Home Depot had a war on that item a few years back and it was quite a wild ride. Lowes dropped $1 less than Home Depot. Then of course HD has to match or someone can come in and they have to meet Lowe's price and then take off another 10%. They went back and forth and then finally HD clearanced the item which protects them from having to match and take off 10%. About 2 years later, it was back on the shelves at Home Depot and another item was targeted.

My point is my friend at Home Depot looked it up for me and at Home Depot's last match price before clearancing it was $593. Home Depot was paying $595 for the item from Makita. They were losing $2 if they sold it at that price. That $2 doesn't include the logistics of getting the item to the store either. Lowes was then free to "up the price" and you can figure out the rest for yourself. There's alot of "dirty pool" that goes on between those 2 big homecenters that would really blow people away.

But, they don't make nearly what most people think on power tools. Those are called the "get them in the store" items. Even though I had worked at Builder's Square, it's irrelevant. Same principal, different store name.

This has nothing to do with who does or doesn't take an internet coupon or not, and what is legitimate and what is not. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with a good discussion. If you can get a discount, good for you. If you can't, pretend like it never exsisted and move on. That's my take on it anyways. :)

Dave

Kacey Zach
04-07-2007, 2:24 PM
I had no luck today with the coupon at 3 of the area BORGs. SE WI stores, the one on Good Hope Rd even had a bulletin telling the cashiers that these coupons are no good.

Peter Melanson
04-08-2007, 6:57 PM
I tried to use it last might and they would not accept it. FOr one it does not have a bar code on it. Secondly it only specifies a few specific stores and states. The HD manager also stated HD does not give out 20% discounts ten is the max. Not sure if this is for real but where I live in colorado they would not accept it. However I still got a great deal on a dewalt 18V xrp drill and 18V impact driver for $235 total they sell for more than that seperatel fir each one. The deal is good for not much longer.

Peter

Jim O'Dell
04-09-2007, 12:00 PM
I just looked on the TechBargain website that had the coupon, and it is no longer there. That pretty much tells me it was a bogus deal. I'd be curious how the website received this information to put it out. If HD didn't authorize it, I'd think they'd be asking the same thing.
I'll not use it, although I may ask about it and if they had any feedback about how the site got it up in the first place. Jim.

edit: I just emailed Tech Bargain the following:
There has been a 20% off coupon for Home Depot on your site recently, but I notice it is no longer being listed. Several poeople on a woodworking forum I frequent have used it, others tried but it was denied. My question is how do you get the information to list a coupon if it doesn't come from the store themselves? If it is submitted to you, is there any verification that it is an actual offer before you list it? I would think that this would be standard practice for you knowing that if you list something that is not real, that it could come back to haunt your reputation. Any information you can shed on this subject will be greatly appreciated. Jim

I'll let you know if I get any response. Jim.

Shannon Seelig
04-09-2007, 7:20 PM
I used the coupon today at Lowe's for a Delta AP400 dust collector. I went directly to the service center and showed the coupon They called the manager over to look at the coupon and he gave me the ok. This was in the Appleton WI area. Just thought I would share in my mini-gloat. I know that these dust collectors aren't that great for big users, but for me in the basement for my tools will be good for now. It comes with 2, 5 micron bags so that is better than the 30 micron bags that it used to come with.

Nick Tuzzolino
04-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Copied the one off Joseph Shields' info and used it yesterday at HD. Bought an 8' ladder and the cordless 15 volt Dirt Devil (sucks great, by the way) and saved $26. Thanks Joe!

Steve Jensen
04-22-2007, 10:14 PM
I noticed the TS3650 is on sale at Home Depot for $499. I figured if they would accept the coupon it would be a no brainer. I called the store and talked to a guy in hardware and told him I had an Internet coupon and asked if they would accept it. Sure, he said, bring it on in. I drove up there and when I showed it to them (another guy) he said it was a fraud because it didn't have a barcode. Also, they said only employees get 20% off and customers get 10% max. I felt bad because the guy looked at me like I was trying to pull something.... like I fabricated the coupon myself. I explained where I got it and explained there were post of others using it successfully but he didn't buy it. I didn't buy the saw.

glenn bradley
04-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Steve,

Sorry you wasted the trip. My dad tried one HD that said no-way due to no bar code. He then tried another that didn't even bat an eye. I also used the coupon successfully (we live in different areas).

Brad Tallis
04-23-2007, 6:12 PM
Hello All-

Thought I'd add my 2 cents... I saw this coupon early on in this posting, so I printed it out and took it into our local HD. I asked if they would honor it, and the guy checked with his manager and he said yes.

Well, we needed to buy a new stove, so this 20% off would save me quite a chunk of change. Anyways, last night, we bought the stove. Saved almost $300.00 because of it.

Anyways, when we were checking out, another manager came up and said that the coupon was a scam. However, because the first manager signed it saying it was ok, they would honor it.

I haven't been able to read this newsgroup lately due to lots of travel on my part, but saw there were 5 pages of "info" about how the coupon isn't valid/is valid, etc.

Needless to say, I don't think it's a valid coupon and I feel bad that I got the stove at such a good price. I also have worked in the retail business (hobby shop) and know that the big items aren't what keep you in business. Whenever we sold an RC car or plane, the buyer usually said, "Well, you guys made a bunch off this sale..." Actually, we were lucky if we made $10-20 on markup. It was the little things like comic books where we made the most profit.

So, even though there are only a few days left on the coupon, I don't recommend using it... The guilt factor is bugging me. I feel like I should go back in and pay the difference...

Brad

thomas prevost
04-23-2007, 7:52 PM
Like I said before each HD store is run independently. I belong(ed!) to thier garden club and other email. I get coupons routinely from them via email. One recently for 10%( not the 20% everyone else is using here) and a buy one get one free shrub which must be downloaded on copy paper. The local store will not honor these down loaded coupons as as the manager states anyone can make copies and it is his decision not to honor them. So any one who get ANY coupon honored feel lucky. :(

Randall Davis
04-23-2007, 11:55 PM
So, even though there are only a few days left on the coupon, I don't recommend using it... The guilt factor is bugging me. I feel like I should go back in and pay the difference...

Brad

If you give the three bills back, I would'nt mention it here:D

Steve Jensen
04-24-2007, 12:20 AM
It definitely is a scam. My HD said that the entire company is changing registers so when you enter coupon you must scan a bar code. Keep in mind this was from a seasoned employee and not the manager himself. I didn't get the discount or the saw but at least I know for sure now. I don't think the people who used it are bad folks or should feel guilty about anything as the store could have said no.

Dave Lehnert
04-24-2007, 12:28 AM
I Think the fact is the coupon has been proven to be a scam. Anyone who uses it is guilty. The fact the store decides to honor it does not make it right. They are just trying to provide good customer service based on bad information. Things like this are why we get hassled so much for ligament issues we may have with a given store. If we expect not to get ripped off ourselves we should not feel free to do the same to anyone. Even if it is a store. Fact is someone will have to answer to giving a 20% discount down the line. If it is true a memo was sent out to all stores that such a coupon was not to be taken .it is a real possibility that someone will lose their job over it.

Just my 0.02 worth

Steve Jensen
04-24-2007, 12:49 AM
If the store accepts it that is their fault, not the customers. Everything is life is negotiable, that includes coupons.

Matt Meiser
04-24-2007, 11:40 AM
If the store accepts it that is their fault, not the customers. Everything is life is negotiable, that includes coupons.

I've kept out of the ethics of this whole affair, but I've got to say that what you are suggesting isn't much different from swapping a price tag and trying to get them to sell something to you cheaper.

Glenn Clabo
04-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Agree....Because everyone here now knows it's not a "real" coupon it's like down loading a 100 dollar bill from the internet and getting mad when the store doesn't take it?

Steve Jensen
04-24-2007, 8:37 PM
I've kept out of the ethics of this whole affair, but I've got to say that what you are suggesting isn't much different from swapping a price tag and trying to get them to sell something to you cheaper.

In my case, it wasn't accepted and at the time I thought it was legiitimate. I was up front and honest about where the coupon came from. If they had accepted it why is that wrong?

If someone switches a price tag, that is deceptive and is the same as stealing. If you are honest about where the coupon came from and they accept it, how is that different than simply asking for a better price?

I just don't see how being honest and up front can be compared to switching prices tags in a decpetive manner. I think you may have misunderstood my statement.

Steve Jensen
04-24-2007, 8:43 PM
Agree....Because everyone here now knows it's not a "real" coupon it's like down loading a 100 dollar bill from the internet and getting mad when the store doesn't take it?

I wasn't upset they didn't take it. I merely posted my experience here like others. Speaking of downloading money off the Internet, I used a 10% off coupon Circuity City emailed to me, which I printed, to save $300 dollars on a plasma TV. So yes, I downloaded 3 $100 bils.

John Terefenko
04-24-2007, 10:06 PM
I can't believe this post is still alive. Just think of yourself as a Home Depot employee and you are taking advantage of an employee discount. Nearly all the times you go into Home Depot you help yourself. You have to strugle to get things after looking for a half hour for someone who works there and when you find one they know absolutely nothing about what you want. Then you take your item up to the fast checkout lane where you ring the price up and put it in the bag and walk out the store. So where was the help. Do not feel bad. Each Home Depot has the right to not accept it and just walk away.

Jason White
04-28-2007, 2:03 PM
I used it at the Home Depot today, but not without some suspicious looks from the cashier. He asked me where I got it. I don't think he believed it was real because there was no bar code to swipe.

Could these be fake?

JW

Enjoy the saving!!!

-jj

Bruce Benjamin
04-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Hmmm...I don't think that has occurred to anyone in this thread yet. :rolleyes: Ya think?;)

Bruce

I used it at the Home Depot today, but not without some suspicious looks from the cashier. He asked me where I got it. I don't think he believed it was real because there was no bar code to swipe.

Could these be fake?

JW

Steve Jensen
04-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Fake indeed.

Steven Triggs
05-28-2007, 7:57 PM

Wow! Does a $1200 diswasher make dinner too?:D

No, seriously, I didn't know dishwashers went up that high. What kind is it?

Gilbert Vega
05-28-2007, 8:35 PM
It doesn't make dinner unfortunately. It's the upscale GE washer to match the other gear in the kitchen. The washer is SUPER Quite. One can stand next to it and not hear it.

By the way, this price is nowhere near the top of the price scale for dishwashers.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-28-2007, 8:44 PM
it says valid through 04/30/07
Today is 05/25/07