PDA

View Full Version : Which fence to use... 40" Bies Home or 30" Unifence Çommercial?

Greg Koch
04-03-2007, 9:27 PM
I need some help.

I bought a Delta 36-680 contractors saw that came with a nice Delta T2 fence. I later acquired a Bieseymeyer 40” Home Shop fence system (36" fence arm) during an Amazon sale and have been using it for quite a while. I really like it for it’s simplicity and accuracy. The 40” gives me a good amount of “right of the blade” cut capability, but I have never used more than 18 ~ 20 inches or so, thus far. I think a 30” system would be just fine, but the 40” was on sale. In my small shop, it’s OK, but still a bit of a beast to move. I’ve wanted to make some jigs, aux fences and other “goodies” for the fence, but haven’t yet and am reluctant to do anything that would require drilling into the fence sides. I have a spare set of 40” rails/tubes I got when the first set was shipped scratched, but I opted to keep them when the second shipment was scratched too.

Last week, Lowes was blowing out their stock of Unifences for $165. Having heard a lot of good things about the fence, especially the versatility of the Uni-T fence arm available for it, I picked one up. This is the 30” right cut Commercial version with the 43” fence arm, and includes the table and legs. The 30” should be enough for me, and I can not see myself needing longer anytime in the near or distant future. I like the ability to adjust the fence and use it as a cross cut stop also.

Before I get the Uni-T, open up the box and try the Unifence out, I thought I’d get some input from the group. Are there any members with the Unifence, and how do you like it…specifically the versatility with the Uni-T if you have it, or have seen/tried it.

I could also just list the Unifence on craigslist and make a few bucks….

I could sell the Bies system and get more/break even on the Unifence/Uni-T system, so the $ is not a problem.

So, if you would...

I’d like to get comments/opinions on which system you would suggest I use: the 30" right cut Commercial Unifence/Uni-T (43" fence arm) or the 40" right cut Home Shop Bieseymeyer (36" fence arm)?

I realize there are a lot of personal preference involved, but I’m looking for accuracy, reliability and versatility as the main considerations.

I have no ideas about using any other fence, just one of these 2 that I have now.

Thanks for all replies.

Homer Faucett
04-03-2007, 9:47 PM
You are absolutely right that this is totally personal preference. I just sold my Delta Contractor saw with a T2 fence, and bought a Sawstop. I'm waiting for an Incra TSLS to be shipped, and picked up the Unifence at Lowe's a few weeks back to use the saw in the interim. I've used the Bies before and liked it. I used the T2 a lot and find it to be a great fence (a light Bies, if you will).

IMHO, I'm not a fan of the Unifence. In the last 10 days or so that I have used it, I just don't find it to be as smooth or as stout feeling as the T2 or Bies. It's aluminum, and it really takes two hands to move the fence, just because it does not slide smoothly. With the Bies and the T2, I just lifted the lever and slid the fence with one hand. I also like the heft and stability of the steel.

Totally preference, but I'd probably stick with the Bies and buy a copy of Jim Tolpin's book: Tablesaw Magic. It will give you plenty of good ideas for jigs to use on the Bies. If I had my choice between the T2 and the Unifence, I'd choose the T2, hands down. The Bies is a step up from the T2.

Others may disagree, but that's my opinion after using all three. By the way, if you decide to build some kitchen cabinets, you may find the 40" rip capacity comes in useful.

Jim Becker
04-03-2007, 9:58 PM
Homer, I'm troubled that your UniFence doesn't slide smoothly...the one I had on the Delta contractors' style saw I owned a number of years ago was smooth as silk and could almost be adjusted with one finger. I preferred it to the Biesemeyer style fence on the next saw and I'm tickled that my current machine has a fence system very similar to the UniFence. But...the bottom line is that it's personal preference. Each type has advantages and disadvantages.

Greg Koch
04-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Homer,

Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate your honest opinion and comments from experience..., personal preferences included.

Greg Koch
04-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Jim,

"Each type has advantages and disadvantages."

Could you briefly comment/compare on what you think those are for both the Biese Home system and the Unifence Commercial system?

Thanks. I'd like to hear all so I can make a decision and use one/sell the other.

Jim Becker
04-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Major ones...Biesemeyer type fence offers easier jigging and "simpler" design.

UniFence offers two heights for safer ripping of thin material (makes room for your push block and hand next to the fence) as well as the ablity to slide the fence back and forth for a variety of factors including using it as a stop block for repeat miter cuts as well as "ending" the fence at the blade exit to accomodate stock that is moving a lot after cutting. (splitter required!) With the advent of the "UniTee" auxiliary fence, the "difficult jigging" objection to the UniFence frankly goes away. Ultimately, I think that the UniFence type design is a safer fence, but that comes at the expensive of learning new and more techniques for using it. While this is an opinion of mine, it's at least partially verified by the fact that so manyEuro type saws are equipped with a similar fence arrangement...and they often appear more stringent on safety accomodations, real or imagined.

Interestingly enough, the UniFence is pretty unique in the North American designed tool environment...the Biesemeyer style and derivatives seem to have the market saturated. I suspect that's partially because they work well and are simpler to fabricate and use. (Less moving parts, too)

Greg Koch
04-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Jim,

I appreciate your comments. They've helped me get closer to deciding. I've found a few users that have also commented on the Uni-T, but haven't found an actual user...yet.

Thanks!

(I just finished looking at your slider pics again, and it is interesting the fence arm does look very similar...)

Homer Faucett
04-09-2007, 5:12 PM
Homer, I'm troubled that your UniFence doesn't slide smoothly...the one I had on the Delta contractors' style saw I owned a number of years ago was smooth as silk and could almost be adjusted with one finger. I preferred it to the Biesemeyer style fence on the next saw and I'm tickled that my current machine has a fence system very similar to the UniFence. But...the bottom line is that it's personal preference. Each type has advantages and disadvantages.

In the interest of fairness and full disclosure, I had an opportunity to use the Unifence a bit more over the last few weekends with better results. I don't know whether there was a bur on the lock mechanism, or maybe a loosening of the lock mechanism for the Unifence, but it is sliding much more smoothly now than it was the first week that I used it. I have done nothing to adjust the fence (at least, not on purpose), so I cannot comment as to what changed the fence, except that I will say that it was MUCH colder in the shop this weekend than the previous weeks.

It is now pretty easy to unlock and slide with one hand, although I would still give the nod to my previous T2 fence and the T-glide fence (Sawstop Bies Clone) that I have used as far as smoothness and ease of sliding (but not by much). I'm also just a big fan of the beefiness of powder coated steel in the Bies and T2 over the aluminum in the Unifence.

However, if you will be cutting a lot of ¼" sheet stock, the Unifence is a LOT nicer than my T2 was for that, as Jim pointed out (although that is easily remedied with the Bies and T2). The stock cursor is certainly a lot better on the Unifence than it is on the T2, but a small piece of Plexiglas can fix that easily.

Good luck, whatever you decide. Getting a Unifence under $200 sure does make it an attractive buy, though.

Greg Koch
04-09-2007, 10:27 PM
I mounted the Unifence on my saw (removing the Bies Home fence) and was a bit disappointed too. It was not as smooth as the Bies (or my T2 before that) and had a "singing" sound to it....aluminum rubbing on aluminum. :mad:

I waxed the table top, extension top, and the rail tube..including inside where the steel bar, that locks the fence, slides... I did this 3 ~ 4 times, with the smoothness getting better and the "singing" getting less. Still wasn't totally satisfied, so I cut 2 small strips of "teflon" tape and placed them on the edges of the steel bar that slide on the aluminum tube. That made the fence head tighter on the tube, so I readjusted the 2 large screws to give the head a bit more room and made sure the fence was parallel to the miter slot. Then I use a thin slice of wood to adjust the height of the fence arm. Presto! Very smooth...one finger movement... and the singing is a lot less.

I'm probably going to sell the Bies Home system, but keep the spare rails (a member asked about them) in case I change my mind later on, so I will just have to find a fence.

I keep the fence arm positioned just past the table, so I have extra fence to help in long rips or wide crosscuts. I think I'm really going to like it.

Paul Johnstone
04-11-2007, 1:39 PM
I love the Biesmeyer. It's just so solid when locked in. I've used the Unifence too. It's also a good fence, but I really wouldn't use it's extra features (such as being able to slide the fence forward).

So, it's more of an emotional reason, but I like the Beisemeyer better.

Dar Lounsbury
04-14-2007, 10:36 AM
I have the Uni-Tee fence and I feel it works very well. It took a few minutes to shim the UHMW insert flat and flush but once that was done, all has been fine. Lots of slots with flat sides for jigs and the like. 30 seconds and the old fence can be back on saw. We use Beis at work and this works as well and has all the mounting slots in addition.

You really can't go wrong with any one of the three. They are all very good.