PDA

View Full Version : Faceplate Assembly Question

Christopher K. Hartley
04-03-2007, 8:33 PM
I recently purchased this Faceplate assembly with one 3" faceplate and a number of 4" faceplates(on Backorder). Here is my question. After looking at the 3" faceplate I wonder if it is mis-drilled or if it is the intent of the manufacturer to have the adapter screw down on the bolt heads? Any thoughts?:confused: Thanks for your help?

Robert McGowen
04-03-2007, 8:52 PM
No real clue of course, but it looks like 4 of the holes line up for screws just like a normal faceplate would, only using bolts, and the fifth out of place looking hole is for a different size or something different all together. Am I making any sense at all? :confused::D:rolleyes:

Curt Fuller
04-03-2007, 9:06 PM
The fifth oddball hole might be to stick something in it to tighten or loosen it from the base.

Jim Becker
04-03-2007, 9:10 PM
I'm thinking that with the Reed system, the 3" faceplate may be too small for the 1 1/4" x 8 tpi adapter for the heads of the screws or bolts to have room. (I assume that's your size) The threaded adapter is pretty beefy and thick. I likely would have a problem with mine, but never bought a new adapter when I brought Stubbalina into the shop...old lathe was 1" x 8 tpi and the Stubby is 1 1/4" x 8 tpi.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-03-2007, 10:18 PM
No real clue of course, but it looks like 4 of the holes line up for screws just like a normal faceplate would, only using bolts, and the fifth out of place looking hole is for a different size or something different all together. Am I making any sense at all? :confused::D:rolleyes:You make perfect sence, but even screws won't work unless maybe they are countersunk. The big hole is a place to free a tight plate.:(

Christopher K. Hartley
04-03-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm thinking that with the Reed system, the 3" faceplate may be too small for the 1 1/4" x 8 tpi adapter for the heads of the screws or bolts to have room. (I assume that's your size) The threaded adapter is pretty beefy and thick. I likely would have a problem with mine, but never bought a new adapter when I brought Stubbalina into the shop...old lathe was 1" x 8 tpi and the Stubby is 1 1/4" x 8 tpi.You are right on Jim I guess I'll just have to stay away from the 3" plates. You'd think their engineers would have figured this one out.:)

Travis Stinson
04-03-2007, 10:32 PM
You don't have a drill press? ;)

Pat Salter
04-03-2007, 10:58 PM
It could be drilled out, for balance, instead of adding a counterweight.

George Tokarev
04-04-2007, 7:32 AM
The assymetry of it provides you a ready reference for remounting a piece the way it was.

Pan head screws will hold just fine without countersinking. You can still use a VIX bit for centering in the straight holes.

Like you, I can't see any kind of accuracy resulting from screwing the adapter down on the heads. Let us know what alibi the Mfr comes up with.