PDA

View Full Version : Best Gast vacuum pump?

Matt Haus
04-03-2007, 6:44 PM
I have been looking online for the best (more likely adequate) vacuum pump for the process of vacuum chucking. Lot's of you have the setup. What gast model do you have and how do you like it? I just don't want to get one that is under rated.

Travis Stinson
04-03-2007, 7:01 PM
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007040317562549&item=4-1540&catname=electric
This one is a real workhorse, can't beat the price. ;)

Christopher K. Hartley
04-03-2007, 7:10 PM
I second Travis. I just got one and it works great. Just remember it is 220V. I would also order filters and mufflers from them as well. If you would like more info just PM me.:)

Paul Zerjay
04-03-2007, 7:21 PM
I have the 522 model. Bought off ebay. Homemade spindle adaptor, and make my chucks from 3/4" plastic available from woodcraft. Also bought the beal spindle tap from woodcraft. Setup works great. Usually 22hg merc.

Gilbert Vega
04-06-2007, 1:04 AM
I have the 522 model. Bought off ebay. Homemade spindle adaptor, and make my chucks from 3/4" plastic available from woodcraft. Also bought the beal spindle tap from woodcraft. Setup works great. Usually 22hg merc.

How much does the shipping run? Can you eloborate on the plactic you bought at Woodcraft?

Paul Zerjay
04-06-2007, 7:59 AM
Hey Gilbert,
You have to watch yourself on ebay, different vendors charge different shipping amounts and sometimes you can get burned. I can't remember the exact amount, but I think my total bill was around $62.00. The plastic I was talking about is here http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=897
I glue two 4"x4" pieces together and then use the beal tap to make a chuck. If needed, I add a faceplate onto the plastic, cut a groove to match the pvc pipe, and put my section of pipe into that. For cushion, I use "foamies" available in the childrens craft section of walmart, 50 cents a sheet.
Paul

Pete Jordan
04-06-2007, 8:17 AM
Hey Paul,

How about a pictorial of the process?

Ed Scolforo
04-06-2007, 5:04 PM
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007040317562549&item=4-1540&catname=electric
This one is a real workhorse, can't beat the price. ;)

Matt: I bought this pump from SC and had a heck of a time trying to figure out why I couldn't pull more than 12" mercury with it. I went over EVERYTHING about a dozen times, wasted hours changing tubings, filters, emailing fellow Creekers for advice, anything I could think of. Still only pulled 12". So I finally sent the pump back,(SC paid the shipping) and the replacement one worked great right out of the box! Go figure.
Ed

John Shumate
04-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Is this pump comparable to the 120v version that sells for ~$370 with the same specs? Also, does it come with a cord and 220v plug?

Thanks,
John

David Epperson
04-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Matt: I bought this pump from SC and had a heck of a time trying to figure out why I couldn't pull more than 12" mercury with it. I went over EVERYTHING about a dozen times, wasted hours changing tubings, filters, emailing fellow Creekers for advice, anything I could think of. Still only pulled 12". So I finally sent the pump back,(SC paid the shipping) and the replacement one worked great right out of the box! Go figure.
Ed
These being rotory vane pumps, I'd first suspect a scored vane, or the vanes were sticking and not sealing when they should. Not a difficult thing to fix, but they are ticky. Not sure I'd take a new pump apart if it was still under warrenty. But if had been an older one, that's where I'd look. I don't think a new set of vane seals would be that much $$$.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-08-2007, 5:22 AM
Hey Paul,

How about a pictorial of the process?Hey Paul I second Pete's motion!! I'm in the process of starting to build mine and that pictorial process would be great. If you don't have pics of the process how about the finished product. Thanks:)

Bill Boehme
04-08-2007, 5:25 AM
Thought that I ought to add this tidbit of information: If you do not have the operating instructions for your Gast pump, go to their web site and download it. It is a PDF file that is just a few pages, but there is some useful and also very important information. One of the most important pieces of information is the proper shutdown procedure. If you just run the pump and then flip the power off when done without a proper cool down procedure, you will significantly shorten the life of the vanes and will have to settle for not being able to get the spec'd vacuum. The procedure involves running the pump for a specified number of minutes with the vacuum port blocked and then a specified number of minutes with the vacuum port full open. Don't get sucked into the trap of complacency when you don't see an obvious problem jump out and bite you in the rear when you don't follow proper procedure and everything seems to be OK. It is one of those subtle cumulative failures that come up on you gradually. On the other hand, if you like to tinker with your pump and don't mind the frequent expense of a rebuild kit and down time -- forget that I said anything.

Bill

Christopher K. Hartley
04-08-2007, 5:31 AM
Thought that I ought to add this tidbit of information: If you do not have the operating instructions for your Gast pump, go to their web site and download it. It is a PDF file that is just a few pages, but there is some useful and also very important information. One of the most important pieces of information is the proper shutdown procedure. If you just run the pump and then flip the power off when done without a proper cool down procedure, you will significantly shorten the life of the vanes and will have to settle for not being able to get the spec'd vacuum. The procedure involves running the pump for a specified number of minutes with the vacuum port blocked and then a specified number of minutes with the vacuum port full open. Don't get sucked into the trap of complacency when you don't see an obvious problem jump out and bite you in the rear when you don't follow proper procedure and everything seems to be OK. It is one of those subtle cumulative failures that come up on you gradually. On the other hand, if you like to tinker with your pump and don't mind the frequent expense of a rebuild kit and down time -- forget that I said anything.

BillBill this is a great piece of information, thanks!!!!:)