PDA

View Full Version : Knot bleed through

Jay Knoll
12-23-2003, 8:02 PM
Hi all

A couple years ago I built a double door garden gate out of 2"x12" pine. They are big, each gate is 68" x28". I made them like big bread boards, glued them up with biscuits and WEST system epoxy. As you can imagine, there were some knots, which I coated with the epoxy. I then used BIN stain blocker on the whole thing, primed over the Bin, and then followed by three coats of Chineese Red paint.

Well, after about 4 months in the Florida weather, the knots bled through. I was so upset about the bleed through I decided to let the doors "season" a bit more before I tried solving the problem.

So here I am with gates with a tight coat of paint, no cracking etc, but with the bleed through.

Any suggestions on how to solve the problem? I hope to do the work in situ, rather than taking the hinges off the posts and lugging the things inside.
Thanks in advance. By the way the Xmas wreaths look great against the red, even with the bleed through!

Jay

Jason Roehl
12-23-2003, 8:12 PM
Jay, you maybe needed to use 2 coats of BIN, that's sometimes what it takes. At this point, I'd use Sherwin-Williams Woodscapes Exterior Latex Solid Color stain as a primer. Use 2 coats just to be sure, but then the tannin will be sealed in, and you can paint over it with whatever exterior paint you are using.