PDA

View Full Version : Cigar Pens

Mike Leonard
12-23-2003, 7:41 PM
These were fun to make and pretty straight forward. They are pretty beefy pens but I like a bigger pen for my meat hooks. I still have a way to go in using this mini lathe and am no way near the class that Kevin Gertsy and Ron Smith are in. But I'm having a ball. Now where was that bowl blank I had?

Pen on the left is Cocabolo, the one on the right is Rosewood.

Thanks for looking

Jason Roehl
12-23-2003, 7:54 PM
I'm with you on the larger pens, Mike. I had never used a very large pen until I turned a few Flat Top Americans, but I fell in love with them instantly! I like how your Cigar Pens turned out, too! Fun, ain't it?

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-23-2003, 8:00 PM
Purty stuff there Mike! I also am fond of the "Beefier" Pens. They just feel good in the hand, and the balance is outstanding as well. Cigars, like the Flat Top Americans are really nice pens. The larger diameter also helps show off the wood better than the Slimlines. You have to rightfully take the credit for your turning prowess...........I wasn't even watching ya! :D Glad I was able to help you out............I am fairly new to turning in general, and even newer to Pens. Ken Salisbury has been an invaluable resource for me.............regarding any subject, not just turning. Thanks for sharing Mike, and thanks again to Ken for just being there..............most of the time! ;) Merry Christmas Mike!

Mike Leonard
12-24-2003, 8:24 AM
Thanks Kevin. I agree that "The Old Rebel" is definitely the Grand Master of the spiney thing. I was at Keith Outten's shop the other day and got to look at a pen that Ken had sent him. Absolutely superb craftsmanship.

A very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours.

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
12-24-2003, 8:35 AM
These were fun to make and pretty straight forward. They are pretty beefy pens but I like a bigger pen for my meat hooks. I still have a way to go in using this mini lathe and am no way near the class that Kevin Gertsy and Ron Smith are in. But I'm having a ball. Now where was that bowl blank I had?

Pen on the left is Cocabolo, the one on the right is Rosewood.

Thanks for looking

Great looking pens, Mike! I like the beefier pens, myself. Being 6'3" and 265 lbs., those slimline pens seem to get lost in my grip. Beautiful choices of wood, too. Sorry I missed you at Keith's Monday. I had to get back to Richmond for an appointment, or I'd have hung around a little longer to meet you. Keith sure has a lot of neat toys, doesn't he? Have fun and keep sending the great pics!

Ron

Scott Greaves
12-24-2003, 3:46 PM
Hi Mike,

Nice pens! I like your choice of materials! I like the cigar pens in general because they have some heft to them, and because they show off the wood. What I really like is the chrome cigar pen kit from Berea! It is beautiful and durable too! I just ordered some more the other day.

I have to agree, Ken is the Grand Master of pens! We're lucky to have him here!

Take care!

Scott.