PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw and insert

Fidel Fernandez
04-03-2007, 4:39 PM
I have a Delta X5 unisaw for over 3 years. I am using a zero clearance insert bought at Woodcraft. It fits a little lose.

This year I tried to use the original insert that came with the unisaw but id didn't fit anymore. I broke it trying to install it so I dump it in the trash.

I bought a new insert from Betterley tru-cut and it does not fit properly.
Is it possible the table saw has shrunk?
Has anybody experience something like this?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Rick Levine
04-03-2007, 5:03 PM
The insert I have has some set screws for leveling as well as tightness. If yours doesn’t you can probably drill and tap some in.

Nate Folco
04-03-2007, 5:22 PM
I have a Delta X5 unisaw for over 3 years. I am using a zero clearance insert bought at Woodcraft. It fits a little lose.

This year I tried to use the original insert that came with the unisaw but id didn't fit anymore. I broke it trying to install it so I dump it in the trash.

I bought a new insert from Betterley tru-cut and it does not fit properly.
Is it possible the table saw has shrunk?
Has anybody experience something like this?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Always remember to line dry your Unisaw, never put it in the dryer.

Greg Sznajdruk
04-03-2007, 5:47 PM
Fidel:

What were you using to install the insert?

It usually falls into place and may require some light finger pressure.

I would suggest that to break this insert would require a fair amount of force.

Greg

Jim McCarty
04-03-2007, 5:49 PM
Always remember to line dry your Unisaw, never put it in the dryer. What Nate said.:D

Fidel Fernandez
04-03-2007, 5:57 PM
I broke it when I tried to remove it. It did fit but very tight, when I tried to remove it by hand I couldn't so I had to use pliers.

Greg Sznajdruk
04-03-2007, 6:08 PM
Fidel:

The table top is cast iron and will expand and contract with temperature variations but I think you would need some pretty sophisticated measuring tools to see how much. The insert looks like some kind of Pot Metal or maybe aluminum it probably expands at a similar rate as the top.

Is it possible that there is a saw dust build up in the table top around the blade opening and that this may have caused the insert to bind?

Greg

Mark Carlson
04-03-2007, 6:38 PM
Fidel,

I just recently bought a Betterley Tru-Cut insert for a General 650. The fit length wise was very tight. Too tight, I could get the insert in but had a hard time getting it back out. I took some sand paper and sanded the red paint off the end on the insert and now it fits like a glove. The width dimension was fine because its has the spring loaded ball bearings to take care of any slop. You might want to inspect the inside edge of the insert hole to see if theres any imperfections in the cast iron that might be getting in the way.

~mark

Fidel Fernandez
04-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Mark,

Thanks, I just did that, I sanded it until it fit perfect. :o
I had problem with my biesemeyer anti-kickback. The insert cut for the anti-kick back was not long enough. I had to file it and now the insert fits perfect with the biesemeyer.

Anthony Anderson
04-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Fidel, I noticed that you are new to Sawmill Creek. Welcome and hope you continue to return. Great place to get answers and to help out other woodworkers. Regards, Bill

Gene Bukovi
04-04-2007, 12:40 AM
If you want to try another source woodworker.com makes there own. I just bought 3 from Dave Laird.

Gene