PDA

View Full Version : Curving Text To Match Profile

Frank Defert
04-03-2007, 4:26 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a bookmark that is a rectangle with curved top and bottom. What I am trying to do is engrave text to follow the arc of the curve at the top so it can be seen where the bookmark extends out of the book when marking the page.
The text, font style and size and spelling is all in place, just need to know how to get it to curve to the arc using Corel 12.

Thanks Frank

Mike Null
04-03-2007, 4:35 PM
Frank:

The term you're looking for is "fit text to a Path" in case you want to consult the help file.

1. select the text
2. under the text drop down select "fit to path"
3. an arrow will appear and you point to the place you want the text

From there look at the options on the control panel and move the text where you want it. There is a text orientation option on the left of the tool bar which will give you several options as well.

Sometimes you can simple drag the text to the position on the path.

This is usually easy but can be trying.

Brian Robison
04-03-2007, 4:57 PM
If you draw a circle, fit text to path puts the text at the top center. How do I get it to the bottom center?

Dave Jones
04-03-2007, 5:06 PM
Just drag it around the edge of the circle until it's at the bottom and then hit the mirror text icons to get it right side up.

Mike Null
04-03-2007, 7:55 PM
Frank:

Here's another option for the job you described. Type the text then use the interactive envelope tool to shape it however you want.

Larry Bratton
04-03-2007, 8:59 PM
Frank
I use this Corel Tips and Tricks, it might be useful to you. Good luck!

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Content/1152796556932

Frank Defert
04-03-2007, 11:43 PM
I can.....create the text,highlight the text,drop down the text window and select fit to path...but now when I take the heavy black arrow to show the text where to go I get a fault window that says " the object you have selected is invalid".

I am trying to install it on a bookmark template that I have saved in Corel and have used with a couple dozen different graphic and text configurations, just none of them curved.

I am able to create a circle from scratch and it works fine and am even able to move the text around with the mirror tool which is what Dave Jones describes above. Thank you Dave.

What am I missing with my old bookmark template?

Thanks....Frank

Mike Null
04-04-2007, 6:31 AM
Try opening the template for editing and applying the curved text. A template can't be modified unless you do that. Then you'll have to save it as a drawing or a new template.

Brian Robison
04-04-2007, 9:14 AM
Well, I still can't get the text under the curve. Corel V12?

Mike Null
04-04-2007, 9:35 AM
Brian:

There are several options on the tool bar which you need to check. I have removed my vers. 11 and am working with X3 so I can't be specific.

As I recall just drag it to the bottom and use the two mirror buttons to flip it and reverse it.

Frank Defert
04-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Mike,

A fresh template and everything worked out. Thank you for your help.

:) Frank

Brian Robison
04-04-2007, 4:03 PM
When I do that it ends up back at the top again.
Didn't mean to hi jack your thread Frank, sorry.

Mike Null
04-04-2007, 7:27 PM
Frank:
Sorry not to be of more help. I do not use templates but rather use the lock object feature on the "arrange" menu so my knowledge of templates is limited.

Frank Defert
04-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Brian,
Hope this helps, this is how I did it with Corel 12.

Draw a circle and "fit to path" some text. Now your text is on top of the circle on the outside. To move your text to the bottom on the outside ( upside down ) locate the drop down box in the centre of the task bar titled "text placement" and select the icon that shows this position. Now to move the text to the inside of the circle and right side up in the task bar select "place on other side". Now the text is at the bottom, right side up, but inside the circle. To move it to the outside of the circle select " verticle placement" in the task bar and place the text in the desired position in relation to the line. Finally to adjust the distance from the line select "distance from path" and fine adjust its final position.

And no such thing as highjacking my thread, the more the greater the chance for learning, so all are welcome.

Frank

Gary Hair
04-04-2007, 11:18 PM
I am not sure about previous versions but in X3 you have to change your text to artistic text, not paragraph text, in order to fit to a path. The alternative is to select the path first and then it automatically creates artistic text for you.

Brian Robison
04-05-2007, 7:40 AM
I must have something funny clicked. Everytime I mirror it puts the text back at the top of the circle. I'd love to have one of the presets set up for the bottom centered.

Chuck E Cobb
04-05-2007, 7:44 AM
Here is a tutorial on fitting text to path, a good tutorial site too.

Fit to path (http://www.webdesign.org/web/vector-graphics/coreldraw/fit-text-to-path.3447.html)

hope this helps

Chuck

Brian Robison
04-05-2007, 7:55 AM
AHHHHHHH! That was it. The little "place on other side" button! Now lets see if I can make a preset from it.

Brian Robison
04-05-2007, 7:58 AM
Yeah Baby!
Preset worked too. Now I have it set super easy!
Place text to path, hit preset I made labeled Bottom Center and BAM!
Thanks, ya'll are great.