PDA

View Full Version : Lousy pics but the turnings are alright

Paul Zerjay
04-03-2007, 2:14 PM
After introducing myself, I thought I'd post a couple pics. Sorry about the quality, I'm no good at the pic thing, as far as turning, I'm still learning there too.The first pic is a sphere. Curly Maple spalted 8-1/2" dia and 3/16's wall thickness. Lacquer and beal buff. Then there is a Walnut vase (if thats what you call it) thats 6" dia and 8" tall, and again 3/16's wall thickness. Danish oil only, still waiting to buff. I used to turn everything as thin as possible, but got tired of the finished product feeling like a balloon.
Paul
Oh yeah, I still gotta clean up the top edge of the vase before buffing, don't I?

Mark Pruitt
04-03-2007, 2:19 PM
Paul, those are great, especially the sphere. I'm sure you've noticed this already, but the first thing that struck me was that the spalting lines form a shape that somewhat resembles the Eastern US, Central America and the northwestern part of South America. You can even "see" the Yukatan Penninsula if you use your imagination. And no, I ain't smoking anything!:cool:

Jason Slutsky
04-03-2007, 2:22 PM
I'd say much better than "alright". The sphere is what caught my eye first because I saw what I thought was a globe...anyone see N America and the northern part of S America??

Jason Slutsky
04-03-2007, 2:25 PM
You beat me too it Mark! I guess we're both nuts:eek:

I'd save that one Paul...that's a one-of-a-kinder!

TYLER WOOD
04-03-2007, 2:25 PM
No Mark, I saw it too. looks like an old map that only part of the area had been explored. They would only fill in the areas that had been explored. I personally like the walnut vase or whatever it is considered. I love the contrast between the sapwood and the heartwood. Both pieces are splendid examples of fine wood turning!! Good job and welcome to the creek

Bernie Weishapl
04-03-2007, 3:02 PM
Paul those are more than just alright including the picture taking. I really like the sphere as it looks like a faded map. Nice job on both.

Belinda Barfield
04-03-2007, 3:07 PM
. . . if you use your imagination. And no, I ain't smoking anything!:cool:

Paul,

Really nice pieces, especially the sphere. I too see a map.

I'm going out on a long limb here. I ain't smokin' anything either and I see a woman in profile with an interesting nose and a mane of flowing hair.

I would type more but only have one arm out of the straight jacket at this time. :D

Christopher K. Hartley
04-03-2007, 3:17 PM
Paul, those are great, especially the sphere. I'm sure you've noticed this already, but the first thing that struck me was that the spalting lines form a shape that somewhat resembles the Eastern US, Central America and the northwestern part of South America. You can even "see" the Yukatan Penninsula if you use your imagination. And no, I ain't smoking anything!:cool:Ya Mark, you may not be smok'in anything but there is no doubt about you trip'in on Mustard. Yucatan Peninsula, sheesh, give me a break!:p :D :D :D

Now Paul, if I haven't already said it, Welcome!! You obviously have been doing this for a while and have some very nice turnings. I really do concur with Mark, but don't tell him I said so. I'd sure like to see some pics of your other work and your shop. I'm always looking for new ideas. Besides I made a 2007 resolution here on the Creek, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48768 and I intend to keep it. Great Job Paul!:)

Mark Pruitt
04-03-2007, 3:25 PM
I'm going out on a long limb here. I ain't smokin' anything either and I see a woman in profile with an interesting nose and a mane of flowing hair.

I don't see the woman, but I am gettin' a bearded old man who needs to pick his nose.:eek: Is that YOU, Hartley?:D

Ya Mark, you may not be smok'in anything but there is no doubt about you trip'in on Mustard. Yucatan Peninsula, sheesh, give me a break!:p :D :D :D

Now Paul, if I haven't already said it, Welcome!! You obviously have been doing this for a while and have some very nice turnings. I really do concur with Mark, but don't tell him I said so. I'd sure like to see some pics of your other work and your shop. I'm always looking for new ideas. Besides I made a 2007 resolution here on the Creek, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48768 and I intend to keep it. Great Job Paul!:)
No comment, except to say, 61665!!!

Mike Vickery
04-03-2007, 3:36 PM
Alright! those both look excellent to me. But what do I know the picture looks pretty good to me as well. A seemless background would probably help the photo but the actual photography looks good to me.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-03-2007, 3:43 PM
I don't see the woman, but I am gettin' a bearded old man who needs to pick his nose.:eek: Is that YOU, Hartley?:D

No comment, except to say, 61665!!!Hey, how'd you know I grew a beard?:mad: No one on here knew that but Rusty and I know he didn't talk to you!:eek: One thing you can know, I may have Mayo in my beard and maybe even some gray stuff (maybe?)but never Mustard!!:D :D :D Now understand Mark, Mustard isn't all bad...I do like it on my Dogs!!:p

George Van
04-03-2007, 3:48 PM
Paul, as the others have said, that sphere is a real eyecatcher! I'm anxious to see what you will put on your next spere, maybe the other side of the globe?

Neal Addy
04-03-2007, 5:45 PM
Very nice work! Pics aren't bad either. Like others said, that sphere is top shelf work.

Keep 'em coming!

Ed Scolforo
04-03-2007, 6:01 PM
Paul, beautiful pieces that say you're an accomplished turner. Thanks for sharing.
Ed

Jonathon Spafford
04-03-2007, 6:42 PM
Wow... those are beautiful! That globe is especially cool! Agree it looks like any old map! The walnut vase it also awesome... the contrast between heartwood and sapwood looks great! Wonderful turnings!

John Chandler
04-03-2007, 7:54 PM
Very nice turnings. The pictures look fine too.

Curt Fuller
04-03-2007, 9:10 PM
Wow, both of those are beauties. I really like the sharp contrast between the sapwood and heartwood on the walnut vase.

Neal Addy
04-03-2007, 9:53 PM
Paul, I keep finding myself coming back to these. Really nice.

Maybe you shouldn't post these together. That sphere really steals the show but the Walnut piece is a fine turning on its own.

Paul Zerjay
04-04-2007, 8:01 AM
Kind words... Thank you all.

Steve Schlumpf
04-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Paul - nice turnings! Like everyone else here I also like the sphere and the way the spalting plays with the imagination. I also like your vase and the contrast between the amount of sapwood and heartwood. Very nice work!