PDA

View Full Version : Humidor pics

TYLER WOOD
04-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Here you go pic lovers. The humidor is almost finished, still not happy with the finish so going to sand off and redo with shellac and wax for higher gloss. Segmented piece (29 pieces total, so not extravagant), black walnut exterior and spanish cedar interior, it measures 11" tall and is 6 3/4" outside diamter. Holds 18-58 ring cigars 7" long. Has a base cap that holds lighter/matches and a cutter. Top cap and interior cap as seen. Comments, recommendations and critiques welcome. These will help with future pieces. I have orders for 3 humidors and 4 that will be for kitchen canisters, so comments will help increase the likelyhood of these selling.

So without futher mubo jumbo here it is!!!

TYLER WOOD
04-03-2007, 11:58 AM
more pics for your viewing pleasure

Bill Wyko
04-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Awsome Tyler. Exactly what I had invisioned it would be. I've been wondering when I'd get to see pictures. I wish we could hang out and smoke a good Arturo Fuente, sit back and admire it. I guess I'll have to do that with my Brother in Law. Great job. Make sure you post more pics when you finsh the finsh.:D

TYLER WOOD
04-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Oh I forgot to mention, it has been autographed by Rocky Patel. Very nice cigars.

Paul Engle
04-03-2007, 12:43 PM
You might want to add the humidity meter to the lid, ( along with the humidity pack to hold the correct humidity for the cigar) other wise looks great. neat idea with the ring holder.

TYLER WOOD
04-03-2007, 1:11 PM
Yeah they are on order right now. They just havn't come in yet. I will attach the hygrometer and the humidifier to the bottom of the inside cap. My next one will have a more recessed area for that. The lighter/cutter will also be located above the inner cap for more ease of access. That will get rid of the lower portion of walnut and save money, time and size.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-03-2007, 4:21 PM
Great idea Tyler, it will also keep that fine dust away from them when the strong winds begin to blow those tumbleweeds all over the place. :)

TYLER WOOD
04-05-2007, 9:31 AM
Ok not satisfied still with the new finish. Any ideas on how to get a glass sheen on something without a beall buff system? I am in need of getting this out of the shop to start the new ones and ness help on finish quickly. Not finish quickly cuz that can ruin a project, but help quickly:p

Brodie Brickey
04-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Ok not satisfied still with the new finish. Any ideas on how to get a glass sheen on something without a beall buff system? I am in need of getting this out of the shop to start the new ones and ness help on finish quickly. Not finish quickly cuz that can ruin a project, but help quickly:p

Grab a chunk of wood, put it in a chuck turn it smooth. Flatten the end next to the tail stock.

Drill out the center mark where the tail stock is. Insert large lag bolt with washer & 2 buffing wheels (14.95 each at woodcraft, you should be able to find it elsewhere for less). Screw it down tight.

You now have a "Brodie Buffing System". You wont' get three grit sets unless you turn extra chunks of wood, but you should be able to get a shine on it. I'll snap a picture tonight so you can see what I mean, mine is three wheels together and it works just fine.

TYLER WOOD
04-05-2007, 1:12 PM
What do I use on the buffing wheels? I know some use carnuba wax, but is that it?

David Walser
04-05-2007, 5:21 PM
Tyler,

I am very impressed with the your humidor. However, I don't think the "stand" is up to the same quality standards as the rest of your work. (The drill bit marks at the bottom of each "half-hole", the glue showing where the dowel is attached, the tear out on the edges of the holes, etc., all make the stand look unfinished.) I also don't know if you need a stand. Can't the cigars touch each other? If so, I think a simple divider might look classier and be more in keeping with the quality of the rest of the piece. I hope you don't mind this quibble. On the whole, it's a very nice humidor and I'd be proud to own it.

Glenn Hodges
04-06-2007, 7:07 AM
Tyler, check out these loose cotton buffs at $6.99.
http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/

Jason Christenson
04-06-2007, 9:22 AM
Yeah they are on order right now. They just havn't come in yet. I will attach the hygrometer and the humidifier to the bottom of the inside cap. My next one will have a more recessed area for that. The lighter/cutter will also be located above the inner cap for more ease of access. That will get rid of the lower portion of walnut and save money, time and size.

I don't know what your planning to use for a humidifier but I would highly recommend The Puck (http://www.cigarmony.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=92&products_id=598). You won't be disappointed, it is probably the lowest maintenance humidifier you could fit in a humidor that size.

Jason

TYLER WOOD
04-06-2007, 10:41 AM
David, thanks for the comments. That is one of the parts I am most displeased with and am rebuilding it. I had a friend of mine work on that part while I did the rest of the turning. He drilled the holes then turned it, I felt it should be done the other way around. I may not be able to help the drill marks in the bottom on the next one though. I like the idea of the holder if only for the fact that you can get to short cigars if you have long ones in there as well. If you have a lot of tall ones with only a shorty or two you would probably have to take a lot of the cigars to get the shortys out.

Jason, I do plan on using the puck in these. I have already told my dad that is what he needed to order. AS soon as the other three are built they will include that too. Thank you for the recommendation though. I was wondering if they would work as well as advertised.

Brodie Brickey
04-06-2007, 12:27 PM
What do I use on the buffing wheels? I know some use carnuba wax, but is that it?

You can use wax or you can use a tripoli white diamond or another "abrasive" to smooth out your finish.

John Shuk
04-07-2007, 6:05 PM
Very nice. Rocky Patel makes some great cigars as well!

George Franklis
04-08-2007, 3:33 AM
Usually the Beall system has tripoli compound on the first wheel, white diamond compound on the next, and carnauba wax on the third. The piece is buffed in that order.

Joe Tonich
04-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Tyler,

Just wondering if he used a Forstner bit for the holes? Looks like a lot of tearout which you'd get from a paddle bit. You can grind down the center spur if I'm not mistaken and get a flat bottom where you drill. Otherwise, maybe cut some cork sheeting to line the bottom of the holes for a better finish......;)

Great project...hmmmmmmm....I know a few Ceeegar smokers........:D :cool: