PDA

View Full Version : New twist ... antler and arrow pen ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
12-23-2003, 4:01 PM
A hunter buddy of mine uses a bow when deer hunting. We got to talking and he wanted me to make him a pen out of antler so he would have something unique. We got to talking about how tough it is to get a deer with a bow, and the more I thought about it, I got an idea.

We talked awhile and I casually asked what happened to the arrows he uses. He says he always checks them for splits or damaged fletching and discards some. He had several lying around that weren' in good shape (mostly the fletching is damaged). I called his wife today and got her to get me one of these old arrows out of his discard box in the barn.

I took it home, turned an antler bottom and used the arrow shaft to make the top of the pen. The camo pattern is copywrited by "Realtree" so it not for sale or production runs, but I thought it was pretty cool. He'll get it when I go over to his place tomorrow. At least it will give him something to talk about at the hunt club.

Randy Gleckler
12-23-2003, 4:59 PM
So the Arrow shaft was the right size, and I'm guessing hollowed out... That's a really neat design. I'm sure he'll love it. It's almost too much for me but I think it's a great concept.

Randy

Dave Smith
12-23-2003, 6:13 PM
Now that is pretty slick Ron. Creative minds never rest. Your friend is going to really enjoy that pen.

Dave Smith

I don't get much sleep in Longview, WA.

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-23-2003, 6:15 PM
Ron, I am a Bowhunter also, and I think you may be on to something with this AWESOME idea! I have never seen anything like that before, and I really, REALLY like it! I know he will be thrilled when he gets the Pen................better get ready to do more, I have a feeling that these will be in demand among the Archery Hunter Crowd. Like the saying goes..........."It's a Bowhunter Thing, you wouldn't understand"! Did I mention that I really LIKE this Pen? :D

Joe Tonich
12-23-2003, 6:32 PM
Ron,

That is TOO COOL!!! I have a couple of hunting buddies that would love to get one of those, including ME. :D Next summer gonna have to get out some old arrows and make some. That is a great idea for a pen!!

Thanks,

Joe

Matt Bridges
12-23-2003, 10:24 PM
Now that is an awesome and unique idea. I'm sure your friend will love it and the pen looks great!

Matt

Scott Greaves
12-24-2003, 3:54 PM
Hey Ron,

That is a great looking pen! I'm sure he's going to enjoy that!

I have a friend that makes a few arrow pens. I thought you might like to take a look at some of his.

http://www.turtlewoodworks.com/pmggallery/kleinhenzrgal1.htm

Take care!

Scott.