PDA

View Full Version : Electric Chain Saw?

Burt Alcantara
04-03-2007, 11:30 AM
I'm beginning to slice and dice larger logs. My bandsaw is not happy. It's a 14" Grizzly G0555. The last log was about a 10" diameter. The blade got stuck and came off the wheels. Besides that, it screams at me and flexs all over the place. I can't control it enough to get straight cuts. I'd almost do better with an ax.

I'm thinking an electric chainsaw would be cheaper then a 3 hp Agazzani. Plus the fact that I'm in a basement with 82" to the ceiling so getting a monster bandsaw into the shop would be highly problematic.

Since all of my wood is indoors I'm reluctant to cut blanks with the Stihl in 20 degree winter and 100 degree plus summer weather.

What electric chainsaw would you guys recommend for cutting blanks up to a 16" diameter?

Thanks,
Burt

Reed Gray
04-03-2007, 11:45 AM
I think it is the same as with the gas saws, Stihl or Husky. Note that neither are as strong as an gas one, but you can use them inside. Don't push them through the wood, let them cut at their own pace, or you will burn them up. A big bandsaw does work much better than the electric chainsaw, and the resulting blanks are a lot more even than any chainsaw job.
robo hippy

Scott Loven
04-03-2007, 12:09 PM
FYI: Just saw a review of Electric chain saws (http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/articles/showarticle.asp?articleID=2484&position=1&type=article&partID=1).
Scott

Barry Richardson
04-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Burt, I recently got a 16 inch Makita UC4000 and Im very pleased with it. It was quite a bit pricier that the others I looked at, but it has a great reputation and very positive feedback on Amazon. It's made in Germany. I've been using it to chunk and slab mesquite and desert ironwood and it has no problem with these woods other than requiring frequent sharpening. Ony had it for about a month so I can't comment on life span. Barry

Paul Engle
04-03-2007, 12:53 PM
If you want to use a chain saw get the slabbing attachment, works good for blocks and etc. NorthernTool.com has em.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp2?No=21&storeId=6970&N=100.
Check out the link, attachment is for under 20" bar up to 17 wide , 139$ plus shiping.
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/11879_med.gif (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200316891_200316891)

Patrick Lane
04-03-2007, 1:26 PM
Easy solution:
Step 1: Buy the new monster band saw.
Step 2: Put monster band saw in kitchen or living room.
Step 3: Act like you don't see it when questioned about it.

Ok, really I can say I probably wouldn't get a Remington unless it was on clearance. I got one at Walmart for $25 and used it quite a bit before killing it, but it eventually had to be gotten rid of due to a blade tensioner that there was no way of repairing. On the plus side, my brother and I did cut up two pretty large maple trees(way bigger trees than this was designed for). So you could definitely say we more than abused it before it broke. :)

Ed Breen
04-03-2007, 2:58 PM
My Remington has a metal cog and plastic cam, the cog ate 1/2 of the cam and I had to shim it with 2 small washers to get the second hour of use. I just bought a tiny B&D 18 volt, it works for about 2 hours, and gets tired when I do. Think i'll stick with it.
Ed

Christopher K. Hartley
04-03-2007, 3:59 PM
Burt, for what you'll spend on an electric you can watch the sales and have a Poulan or small saw like that. You won't get trapped having to have electric especially if you have a chance to get wood away from the house. The roughly $100 Poulan lasted me almost a year and cut one heck of a bunch of bowl blanks and trees. It paid for it's self 4 or 5 times over. Just my thoughts.:)

Roy Antaki
04-03-2007, 4:12 PM
I have a Craftsman band saw that did not work satisfactorily, I learned that using the slower of the tow speeds gets you more torque. Also using a saw blade with fewer teeth per inch (like a 1/2" 3 tpi) allows for a faster cut. I got mine from Hartville and it made a world of improvement.

I did end up buying an electric chain saw. Considering budgetlimitations, I bought the 18" Poulan from Amazon at less than $80 delivered, it does not get that much use, but it works fine when needed. For outdoor work I use my Stihl.

Jim Becker
04-03-2007, 5:26 PM
I have a Remington 16" electric chain saw that I use for convenience when my Stihl gas-powered one isn't the right tool for the moment...like when inside the shop. It wasn't expensive and works very well for slicing and dicing turning stock as long as it's not too big. (I also cut down a tree with it next to the old deck with no problem...)

Ian Abraham
04-03-2007, 6:26 PM
If you are going to be cutting much look at a decent electric saw from one of the good saw maunfacturers. Stihl, Husky or Dolmar/Makita would be my choices.

The top line Stihl electric is actually magnesium construction and has as much power as a little gas saw. OK it costs more than many gas saws too, but it's built to last, and be repaired when something does wear out.

The little plastic ones might be OK for pruning a few shrubs, but when you start cutting up real logs you are going to kill them pretty quick. But they do make real chainsaws with electric motors still.

Cheers

Ian

Pat Salter
04-03-2007, 10:49 PM
I use a Remington and have no problem with it. I just don't force it. I let it do the work and decide the speed of the cut. (for those of you that are wondering, yes, I'm lazy :D ) you should also see if there isn't something you can do about the bandsaw, don't give up on it.
what kind/type of blade are you using? Many sugguest using a 3tpi blade. I use an 8tpi only because that's what the saw at work has (for those of you that are wondering, yes, I'm cheap :D ). I do have problems if the piece i'm working with doesn't sit flat on the table/bed. as the piece is cut it may start binding the blade. I just cut up some monday and I was cutting up to 11" thick with little problems.
The best thing about the electric chainsaw is that I can use it indoors without worrying about fumes.

Burt Alcantara
04-04-2007, 11:46 AM
The blade I'm using is a 1/2" 3tpi made by BDSaw. For normal flat boards it cuts great with no problems. I guess I should make a log sawing jig so I can get a clean flat cut as reference.

I do have a Stihl 390 but it's almost impossible to start. I'm doing special exercises at the gym just to develop muscles to start the saw. It is, however, gas.

Burt