PDA

View Full Version : RO Sanders- air vs electric

Mark J Bachler
04-03-2007, 8:42 AM
I am in the need for a new random orbital sander. I was wondering how the newer electric sanders such as Festool stack up againt air sanders like Dynabrade.

Dan Clark
04-03-2007, 10:09 AM
I can't comment on Festool versus air sanders, but here's a 33 page guide written Gerry Work that covers the range of Festool sanders and abrasives:
http://festool.ndic.com/Web_files/Getting_the_most_from_Festool_sanders.pdf
It's got some great info on what works best. Hopefully it will be useful.

Regards,

Dan.

John Michaels
04-03-2007, 11:03 AM
I've never used a Festool sander, but I've seen a local cabinet maker use a Dynabrade. It was amazing at how fast it took material off. The Dynabrade needs a super capacity air compressor to run it though.

Mark Singer
04-03-2007, 11:09 AM
I have 2 Festool sanders..the 6" Rotex and the 150/3 . I also have a 2" Grex ROS and their die grinder...I love them all! For shaping forms the Grex and Rotex are terrific. The Festool has dust collection and the air sanders don't.....that is a big difference

Larry D. Wagner
04-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Mark

I have not used Festool, but have used several other brands of ROS's and I own two air ROS's and I think for speed the air is superior, but not without a price. It takes a tremendous amount of air to run these units and from my experience in manufacturing some years back, I know the most expensive commodity we used was air, due to the size of compressor needed to supply the air and it ate electricity.:eek: Just my .02 worth!

Larry:) :) :)