PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Adapter

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2007, 10:52 PM
I just got the DVR and the spindle is 1 1/4 X 8. All of my chucks are 1 X 8. Can I get one of those spindle adaptors from Packard Woodworks to put on the DVR so my chucks will fit both lathes? Thanks.

Marc Martindale
04-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Hi Bernie,

I'll need one of those too if I get the Nova 1624, I just posted a reply to the question about Benjamin's Best Chisels, and noticed PSI has an adaptor for us for only $16.30 at Amazon.com. Two reviewers liked it. I think I'll try that one versus the $60 one at Packard. They do mention it doesn't have a set screw for reverse though...

Marc

George Tokarev
04-03-2007, 7:25 AM
All your chucks are straight threaded? If you get a good extension, all you'll do is carry your spindle forward. If you get a bummer there'll be no end of frustration. Go with the larger dollar and reputation. Packard's is a bestwood, I think, but they will take things back if it's too far OTL.

Time to get a chuck with proper insert as a go-to for precise work. Not sure whose brand you've got, but try to make it a body/insert that takes the jaws you already have. As mentioned, if you are going to reverse, you'll want an insert with a grub screw hole made for that purpose. In NOVAS it's an "L" stamped one.

George Van
04-03-2007, 8:30 AM
Bernie, I have a Bestwood 1-1/4” spindle extension. I also with the last purchase from PSI ordered a 1-1/4x8 – 1x8 adapter to try as the price tempted me and it will give me the opportunity to use the 1x8 accessories I had from my PM45. I will check the run out of both when I'm down to the shop today and let you know the results. After that you can make your own decision. As George states Bestwood is a good company.

Bruce Smith
04-03-2007, 9:06 AM
Bernie, I could be wrong but seems to me I saw an add from Oneway somewhere that said they would make make an adapter for whatever size your headstock was. You would probably have to email them and get a quote. One thing for sure and that is if Oneway may one it would certainly be on spec. Good Luck.......

George Van
04-03-2007, 9:16 AM
Bernie, I could be wrong but seems to me I saw an add from Oneway somewhere that said they would make make an adapter for whatever size your headstock was. You would probably have to email them and get a quote. One thing for sure and that is if Oneway may one it would certainly be on spec. Good Luck.......

I bought a spindle adapter with my 2436 to use my 1 1/4x8 faceplates. It runs true. Kevin said they are not made by them but are out-sourced locally.

George Van
04-03-2007, 10:15 AM
I just got back from the shop and here are my results comparing the adapters I have available, feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Oneway 2436 spindle runout .0000 with M33x3.5 to 1-1/4x8 spindle adapter .004

PM3520 spindle runout .001
With Bestwood spindle extension .002
With PSI 1 1/4x8 to 1x8 spindle adapter .0015

Bernie Weishapl
04-03-2007, 3:25 PM
Hey thanks to all for the info. Looks like the PSI is not to bad. I will probably buy a insert for my Vicmarc for more precision but the others which include a Apprentice and 2 Grizzly chucks I figured a spindle adaptor would be fine.

George thanks for the test and info on those. That helps alot.

Jim Becker
04-03-2007, 5:31 PM
The risk with the spindle adapter is a poorly milled on will bring runout and magnify any "rotational defects" in the face plates and chucks you use with it. I also agree that buying quality is a good idea, especially if you are going to spread it over multiple devices. But consider if you really need to use multiple chucks...I've only ever found a need for one.

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2007, 12:04 AM
Thanks everyone for the info. Me thinks a new Super Nova 2 is in order. I think since this has a reverse I need one with a set screw.

George Tokarev
04-04-2007, 7:25 AM
I also agree that buying quality is a good idea, especially if you are going to spread it over multiple devices. But consider if you really need to use multiple chucks...I've only ever found a need for one.

One at a time, right? If you're turning for pleasure you have to weigh the convenience of transitioning to a prepared chuck to the time-consuming chore of changing jaws. If you're turning production, no contest. Cheapest and most efficient tool I own is my pin chuck. For less than the price of a chuck body I have a way of instantly mounting/remounting anywhere I can support a 1"x1" hole, and the joy of leaving my chuck pre-loaded with my 50mm jaws.

The proper insert for a SN2 is the "L," Bernie.