PDA

View Full Version : First Real lathe projects - Pen Pics

Doug M Jones
04-02-2007, 9:56 PM
After some problems with getting all the tools and supplies, I was finally able to get some pens turned.

The one on the left is cherry from Penn's woods. I cut the rabbit for the center band a little deep and the transmission ring shows a little.

The middle is rosewood from Steebar, better but still have a ways to go.

The one on the right is an acrylic blank I picked up at Woodsmith after a seminar on dovetail joints last week.

The acrylic was fun as I finally got some "curlies". I had mostly small chips and sawdust from the wood blanks, is that due to the dry wood or my poor technique.

I need to practice more with the camera. sorry for the quality of the picture. I can't retake the shot as LOML has given the pens to some friends.

Let me know where I can improve, I value the advice I receive from all creekers.

Thanks

Doug

John Chandler
04-02-2007, 10:20 PM
It looks like you did fine - you already mentioned what you saw wrong. Did the acrylic one give off an unpleasant odor? What did you use to polish them? Keep up the good work.

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Doug you did just fine. Those are some beauties. Nice job.

Corey Hallagan
04-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Very nice pens! Great job.

corey

Jonathon Spafford
04-03-2007, 1:41 AM
They look super to me! Nice wood and nice shape! Sometimes they get made too fancy and then they are painful to write with... often simpler is better! Way to go... keep the pix coming!