PDA

View Full Version : Benjamin's Best Source??

CPeter James
04-02-2007, 9:38 PM
Somewhere I saw mentioned a alternate source for Benjamin's Best and other items that Penn State sells. I have been unable to find it again. does anyone know who or where it might be?

I am getting ready to order some chisels and want to get the best price I can. One thing that I don't understand is why Penn State charges $8 or $9 shipping on each set even though you buy multiple sets. It is cheaper to just get the individual ones and skip the set "saving" and not pay all the shipping.

CPeter

Mark Cothren
04-02-2007, 10:00 PM
I got one of the BB 5/8" bowl gouges... and wish I had that money back.

CPeter James
04-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Why? I bought a roughing gouge and it is fine. What is the problem with the bowl gouge?

CPeter

Bill Bolen
04-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Go to Ebay and search for seller disorder. I've been buying from him for a year or two and he has never failed me. Prices always lower than PS. Many times I email him and he will invoice me for the chisel not waiting for the auction to end. Never charged more than $5 shipping either. Honest easy seller. good luck!
Bill

Marc Martindale
04-02-2007, 10:48 PM
I got my Benjamins Best and other Penn State tools from amazon at a decent discount from ordering through Penn State's own site, plus free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/s/102-0289108-4228176?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tools&field-brandtextbin=PSI%20Woodworking

Roy Antaki
04-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Long Island Woodworking Supply has some of the BB chisels. I have the 1/2" bowl gouge and it is pretty good for the money

http://www.longislandwoodworkingsupply.com/

Roy

Jeff Towle
04-02-2007, 11:13 PM
http://www.woodturningz.com seems to be able to get ANYTHING in the Penn State catalog for less $$ then PSI charges. Most of it isn't listed on their site but if you call them with the PSI item # they will quote you a price.
Also saw a bunch of BB stuff at the Peachtree booth at the WW Show this past weekend.

Mark Cothren
04-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Why?

Maybe my experience is unique. Since I only own one BB tool, that is very likely. My other gouges are P&N and compared to them the BB does not hold an edge near as well. What little I used it I was at grinder sharpening very often. Plus, the handle that came on the gouge was loose and appears to not have had much glue applied. No big deal to epoxy it in, but...:rolleyes:

Barbara Gill
04-03-2007, 5:45 AM
Mark, I agree.

Gordon Seto
04-03-2007, 6:55 AM
Maybe my experience is unique. Since I only own one BB tool, that is very likely. My other gouges are P&N and compared to them the BB does not hold an edge near as well. What little I used it I was at grinder sharpening very often. Plus, the handle that came on the gouge was loose and appears to not have had much glue applied. No big deal to epoxy it in, but...:rolleyes:

Mark,

Try to scratch your BB gouge with a hand file. If it can be scratched by a hand file, then your tool may not be hardened. As reported in other forums, some unhardened tools were mixed with finished products.

Gordon

Mike Lawler
04-03-2007, 9:06 AM
I have read a good bit aout qc issues with these lately. The steel hardening, missing/mismatched/loose handles, etc.

I would say, if you choose to go this route, pick a vendor that will allow for return if you are dissatisfied.

Ebay would not be my first choice.

Tom Bruce
04-03-2007, 11:37 AM
I have tried "seller disorder" and "disorder" and have had no response from ebay. Is this the name or am I missing something here?

thanks.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Mr. James, is this what you are looking for? ;)
http://www.jacquescoulombe.com/Benjamins.htm

CPeter James
04-03-2007, 12:04 PM
I think that it is "disoorder".

CPeter

Dominic Greco
04-03-2007, 10:13 PM
..... Plus, the handle that came on the gouge was loose and appears to not have had much glue applied. No big deal to epoxy it in, but...:rolleyes:

I bought some BB gouges and scrapers at PSI last year when they were having a clearance. For $10 a piece, you can't go wrong. Especially when they were M2 HSS (I checked, and they are). But I totally agree with you. The handles BITE! What wood are they made from, Balsa? I bought a 1" skew and the skew fell right out of the handle a week after I bought it. So I turned a new handle with a 5/8" brass compression nut as a ferrule. Now that baby handles JUST right. Sooner or later I'll end up replacing all those handles.

Bill Bolen
04-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Right you are CPeter, my typo. disoordr is the guy. Sorry...Bill

CPeter James
04-07-2007, 9:05 AM
I have a quote from disoorder and the saving is significant and I will be placing an order this week end after I decide on my final line up . I took my BB bowl gouge and removed and sanded and refinished the handle and buffed the steel and it looks as good as the expensive ones. took about 15 minutes. I tried the file test and the file just skated across the edge so I guess it is hard. I looked and P&N and even they are 3 times the money. I am gong to take a chance and I will report back.

CPeter

Mike Ramsey
04-07-2007, 9:10 AM
If you could skip the distributors & go straight to China you could get a
better deal I bet.

Kenny Adkins
03-18-2008, 8:49 AM
I have tried "seller disorder" and "disorder" and have had no response from ebay. Is this the name or am I missing something here?

thanks.
This disoorder on ebay is L&R Collectibles ..There great to buy from an very fast an do have lot of lathe tools ..The url for there store is http://stores.ebay.com/L-and-R-Collectibles-and-Crafts

happy turning Kenny Adkins

Dale Gregory
03-18-2008, 10:32 AM
I got one of the BB 5/8" bowl gouges... and wish I had that money back.

Interesting! Maybe there is a difference in steel quality or hardening process. For what it's worth, the BB 5/8" Bowl Gouge is my favorite. I have a 3/8" and I'll not too excited about it......:confused:

Dale

Dick Strauss
03-18-2008, 5:18 PM
I've had very good luck with my BB tools. All of them are hardened HSS. I did have a problem with a mismarked tool when I placed my order several years ago through PSI. The tool was marked as a bowl gouge but was actually a spindle gouge (based on the depth of the flute). I can't remember whether it happened on my 3/8", 1/2", or 5/8" BB bowl gouge. PSI took care of the issue and promptly corrected their mistake.

Mark,
After the way a friend was treated by a P&N representative, I decided I wouldn't ever consider their tools again. The short of the story is that my friend has a 1 1/4" spindle roughing gouge that has a large ridge of metal down the flute. This ridge obviously should have been ground away during the manufacturing process but was left behind. Because of the ridge right at the center of the cutting tip, the cutting edge is not continuous. The only way to correct the issue is to regrind the whole length of the flute. So he contacted their distributor (Greg Jensen) that sold him the tool about doing an exchange. Greg refused to do an exchange even though the tool had been lightly sharpened a few times. Keep in mind my friend had had this tool less than a month when he tried to address the issue. P&N is off my list for any future tool purchases regardless of quality.

David Pearson
03-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Has anyone tried out the PSI chucks?

robert hainstock
03-19-2008, 2:08 PM
I have several BB tools,and have encountered none of the problems mentioned. I bought most of them frpm woodturningz.com. the last a 5/8 bowl gauge directly from PSI as I needed some pen paprts and direct is the only way to get them. I expected to go to the grinder more often with them. I was sure they would be Chinese steel, and they are. For half the money, I can grind more often.If you can not, spend more money the first time. Ultimetly you will grind it up any way. :eek::eek:
Bob

Kennneth Sain
03-19-2008, 6:23 PM
I'm curious, who or what is "P&N"?

Dick Latshaw
03-19-2008, 9:11 PM
I'm curious, who or what is "P&N"?

That's Patience & Nicholson from down under in Australia, mate. Sold without handles by Lee Valley, among others. Have never tried them but they have a good reputation.