PDA

View Full Version : vortex is really strong now...segmented vase

Robert McGowen
04-02-2007, 7:26 PM
First segmented turning ever! Needed something nice for SWMBO. The learning curve increased as I went along and by the time I was fnished, I was ready to see if I could cut my time in half. Some lessons learned the hard way and some the easy way:

1. a nice miter saw helps a lot.
2. small pieces and a miter saw are scary.
3. a nice disc sander helps a lot.
5. the sander is just for touch ups, not sizing the pieces.
4. Malcom Tibbett's sanding jig is well worth the time to make.
6. label the rings.
7. if two rings look the same but are not supposed to, it is because you did the same ring twice.
8. there is no such thing as too many clamps.
9. a caliper is way easier to use than a ruler.

More to be learned for sure. I am already dreaming up the next piece.

Hard maple and walnut with Danish oil and a 3-wheel buffing. Plans are off of the internet that I changed to use 10 segments per ring. Picture was without flash, the wood really catches the light, Thanks for looking. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-02-2007, 7:33 PM
Robert.........Nice first segmented HF! YOU are definitely hooked!

Bill Wyko
04-02-2007, 7:38 PM
Nice job Robert. I have to laugh because I have some extra rings laying around that were the "same size" too. Everything you said are things I experienced as well. I'm glad to see you take on the segmenting stuff. You did an exelent job, especially for your first one. Hooked now aren't cha:D I can't wait to see more from you. You might want to get the book from Ray Allen as well. In addition, Malcolm hooked me up with info on a program called woodturner studio. It is the best I've found for designing your rings and the overall shape but doesn't do much as far as angle designs or intricate patterning goes. It will give you your dimentions to the 3rd decimal point though. Again fantastic job. You should be proud.:)BTW I use a 100 tooth ridgid blade. Be careful though. If your blade hits the wood before full speed I've had mine grab a chunk of wood and stick between teeth and blow a piece of wood to bits, not to mention rattling my nerves to pieces. Definatly use a hold down stick for all your cuts.IMHO. If I can help in any way, you know how to reach me.:D SMC

Christopher K. Hartley
04-02-2007, 7:38 PM
Robert, you are fast becoming "The Man"!;) Keep going like this and a new career may be in order.:cool: It is a beautiful piece and you can be proud of it!:)

Steve Schlumpf
04-02-2007, 9:22 PM
Robert - congrats on your first segmented piece! Nice use of contrasting wood colors, great form and a nice finish! Looking forward to your next creation!

Pete Jordan
04-02-2007, 10:16 PM
I really like it a lot Robert! How big is it?

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Robert I must say that is a beauty. I like the form and finish. Nice job.

Jonathon Spafford
04-03-2007, 1:36 AM
Hey, awesome piece! Really wouldn't think that it was a first segmented form! Looks pretty good to me... I don't have the patience for segmented work right now, but it sure looks cool and I respect the people that do it! Great going and keep the pics coming!

Mark Pruitt
04-03-2007, 8:55 AM
Way to go Robert! SWMBO must be thrilled.

Paul Engle
04-03-2007, 9:48 AM
Way to go man :D . Looks good. Watch out Malcom....Bill ..... Travis ....

Bill Wyko
04-03-2007, 12:09 PM
I look at it this way. It's not competition, it's unity. Welcome to the wonderful world of segmenting. Becha can't do just one.;) Again that's a real beauty in all aspects.

Paul Zerjay
04-03-2007, 2:35 PM
That piece is a real beauty. SWMBO should be proud. But remember, if she is anything like mine, well you know.

Bill Wyko
04-03-2007, 4:39 PM
Whats SWMBO:confused: S tarted W ith M y B rothers O ldlady? I just don't know:eek: JK:D

Ed Scolforo
04-03-2007, 6:03 PM
Robert: really nice!!

Jonathon Spafford
04-03-2007, 6:40 PM
Whats SWMBO:confused: S tarted W ith M y B rothers O ldlady? I just don't know:eek: JK:D

She Who Must Be Obeyed ;) Well worth learning, I guess, if you're married ;)

Charlie Black
04-05-2007, 3:51 PM
Hey Bill - what is "Malcolm hooked me up with info on a program called woodturner studio. It is the best I've found for designing your rings and the overall shape " mentioned in your post??

Barry Stratton
04-05-2007, 6:00 PM
That is one GREAT looking vase Robert! Well done.

Joseph Peacock
04-05-2007, 6:15 PM
That is good Mr.McGowen!:cool:

Bill Wyko
04-05-2007, 6:17 PM
A mans job is never done until he's married......then he's finshed.:eek:

Chris Barton
04-06-2007, 7:48 AM
Very nice Rob! And, some great tips for us noobs.