PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Woodworkers?

Paul Zonneveld
04-02-2007, 4:49 PM
Anyone have first hand expierience with American Hardwoods Inc on Hadley street in Phoenix? I am looking for quality of product, customer treatment etc?

Joe Jensen
04-02-2007, 5:53 PM
Anyone have first hand expierience with American Hardwoods Inc on Hadley street in Phoenix? I am looking for quality of product, customer treatment etc?

I'm just a hobbiest, but I've used a fair amount of hardwood over the past 20 years. I used American several times and I was always very happy. They are a wholesale only supplier. They may have a 100 bd ft minium, I can't remember. The quality was always good, and I found that if I chatted briefly with the guys in the warehouse I could pick what I wanted from the stack. They have a full selection of american hardwoods, and a few others like Mahogony. They also have a good selection of plain sliced and rotary cut plywoods and veneered MDF. American was the best of the wholesale yards. I didn't like Spellman at all.

Having said all that, I don't think I've been there in at least 5 years.

Dave Falkenstein
04-02-2007, 5:55 PM
I have done business with American Hardwoods on several occasions. Customer service and product are both very good. They have a huge selection of sheet goods and some common hardwoods. I have used them primarily for large orders of sheet goods. They serve the commercial market, and do not do small over-the-counter consumer orders. The last time I was there, the minimum OTC order was $250. You might check with them to see what their OTC policy is at this point.

Other alternatives for hardwoods in the Phoenix area are Spellman Hardwoods and Woodworkers Source. There is also a hardwood dealer in Chandler, but I have never been there.

Post what material you are looking for, and perhaps someone can point you in the right direction.

Paul Zonneveld
04-02-2007, 6:07 PM
I am just looking for a good domestic sheet goods supplier.

Joe Jensen
04-02-2007, 6:43 PM
Here is another choice. If you are in the west side, http://www.superiorhardwoods.com/ is very similar to American Hardwoods. Lots of sheet goods. I bought a box of Accuride slides there a few weeks ago without a commercial account, and no minimum order size was listed. I paid with a credit card.

Arizona Hardwoods by the Chandler Airport is small but their stuff is nice...joe

Carol Reed
04-02-2007, 6:46 PM
Don't know where you are, but I've used these folks. Decent prices. I don't Spellman either. :)

Timber Hardwoods 480-926-2131 935 E. Southern Ave. Suite B
Fax: 480-926-2857 Mesa, AZ 85204

Joe Jensen
04-02-2007, 8:01 PM
Timber is pretty close to me. Their quality is variable. Much smaller selection than the wholesale places, but they are set up for retail sales. Their prices are higher than the wholesale places but much still fair...joe