PDA

View Full Version : Domino Found On Front Porch!

Jeff Wright
04-02-2007, 3:29 PM
Just received my Domino (from Bob M). All in good shape, including the container of tenons, five bits, the two accessory guides, and the Domino itself. Now on to master its use!

Jim Becker
04-02-2007, 3:31 PM
I don't see any Domino... ;)

(Congrats...provisionally)

Bob Childress
04-02-2007, 3:55 PM
I was afraid of this. Somebody got their Domi from Bob M before I got MY Domi from Bob M. :mad: Don't make me drive all the way to Florida. :rolleyes: :D

Richard McComas
04-02-2007, 4:02 PM
What took so long to get yours? I picked mine up from my supplier on 3/27/07:)

glenn bradley
04-02-2007, 4:19 PM
That's nothin' I got 9 of 'em! Oh . . . pics? Uhh . . . gotta go.

Sorry, pic police sarcasm. Enjoy your new toy!!!

Don Bullock
04-02-2007, 4:38 PM
Isn't that a strange place to play with your dominos?;) :D

Congratulations. I'm hoping to see some work from these new machines.

Tim Wagner
04-03-2007, 6:54 AM
glad you got your new tool. Is there any reason one should spend 720.00 on a domino, and not just use a plung router and biscut jointer? the price isn't just out of this world, it's out of the solar system completley.

Matt Day
04-03-2007, 8:11 AM
glad you got your new tool. Is there any reason one should spend 720.00 on a domino, and not just use a plung router and biscut jointer? the price isn't just out of this world, it's out of the solar system completley.

Please don't get them started.

Tyler Howell
04-03-2007, 8:23 AM
What's this!!!
I take a little sabbatical and the streets run wild with lawlessness:mad:
Evil doers everywhere disregarding the rules.
Let's see some pictures or else:mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

Dan Forman
04-03-2007, 4:19 PM
What's this!!!

Shoot low sherrif, he's ridin' a shetland!

Dan

Gary Keedwell
04-03-2007, 5:44 PM

:D Don't worry......Ain't saying nuttin..;)

Gary K.

Tim Wagner
04-03-2007, 6:10 PM
ROTFL:p;):D

Scott Vigder
04-03-2007, 6:23 PM
Pics = Gloat

No Pics = No gloat

So you say you got a Domino on your purported "porch?" How do we know you even have a porch?

Mike Cutler
04-03-2007, 7:01 PM
Shoot low sherrif, he's ridin' a shetland!

Dan

:D ,:D ,:D ,:D ,:D ,:D .....:cool:

Sue Wise
04-03-2007, 7:03 PM
Good Point!!!

Mike Cutler
04-03-2007, 7:03 PM
What's this!!!

"Badges... We don' need no stinkin' badges"

Get 'em Tyler.

Jeff Wright
04-03-2007, 7:26 PM

1] I can afford it.
2] It's the latest thing.
3] I just want it.
4] I have an addiction all-things-Festool.
5] It looks cool.
6] Precision-strength-speed

Tim Martin
04-03-2007, 7:53 PM
So it is out there yet or what?
I'm yet to see a pic of one!!!!

Don Bullock
04-03-2007, 8:37 PM
Here ya go:

61686:rolleyes: :D

Ted Miller
04-04-2007, 9:08 AM
Jeff, Sorry, could not help myself, went by your house and made a stop by your porch, Thank you...

Tim Martin
04-04-2007, 7:29 PM
Jeff, Sorry, could not help myself, went by your house and made a stop by your porch, Thank you...

Hey Ted, bingo! ....its alive......:D

What are the measurements in on the machine? Metric or imperial?

David Dundas
04-05-2007, 12:30 AM
What are the measurements in on the machine? Metric or imperial?

Stirrer! It's metric:) They can take it, or leave it.

Jim Dailey
04-05-2007, 2:21 AM
Dave said "Stirrer! It's metric They can take it, or leave it."

Just like Henry Ford... "You can have a Model T in any color you want as long as it black...( green.... ;) )"

jim

Ted Miller
04-05-2007, 8:10 AM
Tim, Stupid me, I have nothing in my shop that measure mm, well a few older wore out tapes, can't believe I got no metric thingys in my shop. Figures by the time I learn the real thickness of plywoods now I have to learn metric. Well never to old to learn something new, I am now 1790.6999999999998 mm tall...

Gary Keedwell
04-05-2007, 8:21 AM
Send it back.:rolleyes:
Gary K.

Fidel Fernandez
04-05-2007, 1:26 PM
We can use our old chisels and mallets..... :D

Is just another way to do things. It has some advantages, but there are always different ways to do things. IMO is a valuable tool, but what do I know? :D

Tim Wagner
04-05-2007, 4:14 PM
We can use our old chisels and mallets..... :D

Is just another way to do things. It has some advantages, but there are always different ways to do things. IMO is a valuable tool, but what do I know? :D

chisels and a mallet? that would be putting the craft, into the craftsman. :eek:

I suppose If I had the money I would buy one, An I suppose if I was to get a good Router, and good Biscut jointer, the cost would be the same or nearly the same. But I would want a router that I could mount under a table.

Paul Johnstone
04-05-2007, 4:52 PM
I'm not trying to put the domino down, but if one is willing to lay out that much money for a domino, why not consider the Leigh FMT mortise and tenon jig? If you already have a plunge router, the price is close to the same.. I haven't run the numbers but it's close..

FMT pros:
1. Cut basically any size mortise and tenon
2. Basically idiot proof. Wood is clamped down, you aren't at the mercy of holding a domino exactly right.
3. Very adjustable fit, lets you get great snugness of the joint
4. No need to mess with stocking dominos.. They are cheap enough, but it's a consumable you don't have to keep up with.

Domino pros:
1. Faster
2. easier than making a tenon on a long board (like over 4')
3. more portable.
4. Better dust collection
5. Don't have to add extra length for tenon

Again, I understand why the Domino is a godsend for someone like Per.
But for the weekend warrior, I'm not so sure. I guess it depends on what you make.

Again, I'm not slamming the domino. It seems like a great tool. For me, the FMT made more sense. I don't do enough M + T where speed is an issue. I only had to put a tenon on something longer than 4' twice that I can remember. I like the "idiot proof" nature of the FMT. I have trouble with a biscuit cutter consistently holding it right so that the edges are perfectly flush.. Yeah, not a huge deal to do a little more sanding, but it's sweet when everything lines up perfect.

If anyone else knows of any other pros or cons, or if I misrepresented something, let me know.

Dave Rudy
04-05-2007, 7:18 PM
I'm not trying to put the domino down, but if one is willing to lay out that much money for a domino, why not consider the Leigh FMT mortise and tenon jig? If you already have a plunge router, the price is close to the same.

Paul,

Good observation. Two great tools. Domino has a tremendous speed and portability advantage. Tenons are pre-made (or you can make your own if you prefer or need to do so). Virtually no set up time.

Although I am not a professional, time is a major factor for me. That's why I have decided to go with Domino.

Dave

Pete Brown
04-05-2007, 8:14 PM
I'm not trying to put the domino down, but if one is willing to lay out that much money for a domino, why not consider the Leigh FMT mortise and tenon jig? If you already have a plunge router, the price is close to the same.. I haven't run the numbers but it's close..

I considered the FMT and the woodrat. For me and my tiny shop, though, the Domino made more sense as I could take the tool to the work.

That doesn't rule out FMT or Woodrat in the distant future. TBD :)

Pete

Steve Roxberg
04-05-2007, 8:19 PM
I considered the FMT and the woodrat. For me and my tiny shop, though, the Domino made more sense as I could take the tool to the work.

That doesn't rule out FMT or Woodrat in the distant future. TBD :)

Pete

Same here, small size, speed and versatility were all in my favor with the Domino.

I've always wanted an FMT and will still probably get one.

My situation was possibly unique,

1. Don't already own a biscuit jointer and always wanted one and thought I'd use it.
2. Don't own a mortising machine (Delta, General, Powermatic, etc) not because I didn't want one, but becaue the lowest end models didn't interest me so I was looking in the $400 to $800 range.
3. Don't own a tenoning jig for my tablesaw.
4. Always wanted an FMT and didn't own one.

So the Domino, though expensive for the time being replaced all of the above for me.

Bart Leetch
04-05-2007, 11:24 PM
It is probably a great tool but if it doesn't measure in inches or fractions they can keep it I wouldn't spend that much money for an electric hand tool anyway (unless I did this for business) much less one where I'd have to double think myself every time I used it. Thank goodness I just do it for a hobby. Pipe clamps F style clamps, wood clamps , glue, nail guns, pinner, biscuits, dowels, mortiser, routers & wood I got em all. Don't need no Domino.

But it sure if fun watching someone else race to spend their money. I hope you'all enjoy your Dominos.

Gary Keedwell
04-05-2007, 11:33 PM
It is probably a great tool but if it doesn't measure in inches or fractions they can keep it I wouldn't spend that much money for an electric hand tool anyway (unless I did this for business) much less one where I'd have to double think myself every time I used it. Thank goodness I just do it for a hobby. Pipe clamps F style clamps, wood clamps , glue, nail guns, pinner, biscuits, dowels, mortiser, routers & wood I got em all. Don't need no Domino.

But it sure if fun watching someone else race to spend their money. I hope you'all enjoy your Dominos.
:rolleyes:
It has indeed been amusing, huh?;)
Gary K.

David Dundas
04-06-2007, 1:53 AM
It is probably a great tool but if it doesn't measure in inches or fractions they can keep it

Bart,

Martin Luther King had a dream that the nation would live up to the words of the Declaration of Independence. In recent times his dream has been fulfilled, more or less, insofar as racial discrimination is concerned. And yet, more than two hundred years after that Declaration, America still clings to the obsolete British system of measurement, which Britain, and every other country on Earth, apart from Liberia and Myanmar, has abandoned. America's founding fathers did in fact declare the metric system to be the official system of measurement; but no government has seen fit to enforce it, since they were inhibited by the mass of people who saw no reason to change, and could not be bothered to examine whether the metric system was in fact superior.

Maybe, the numerous American Domino owners will see the light, and start a trend:) I have a dream ... , but maybe I'm dreaming.

David

Ken Milhinch
04-06-2007, 2:20 AM
OOh... you are gonna get it now !
He might be Australian folks, but I don't know him.....really :o

Gary Keedwell
04-06-2007, 7:26 AM
Bart,

Martin Luther King had a dream that the nation would live up to the words of the Declaration of Independence. In recent times his dream has been fulfilled, more or less, insofar as racial discrimination is concerned. And yet, more than two hundred years after that Declaration, America still clings to the obsolete British system of measurement, which Britain, and every other country on Earth, apart from Liberia and Myanmar, has abandoned. America's founding fathers did in fact declare the metric system to be the official system of measurement; but no government has seen fit to enforce it, since they were inhibited by the mass of people who saw no reason to change, and could not be bothered to examine whether the metric system was in fact superior.

Maybe, the numerous American Domino owners will see the light, and start a trend:) I have a dream ... , but maybe I'm dreaming.

David
Just curious......are you moving to the USA? Relevance?
Gary K. : > )

Pete Brown
04-06-2007, 7:49 AM
America's founding fathers did in fact declare the metric system to be the official system of measurement

This is OT, but I'll respond this once anyway. Your comment is close, but incorrect. This is one of those bits of internet (and pre-internet) urban legend that has been passed around forever.

The metric system came out after Jefferson's proposals for a similar decimal-based system.

The US legalized the metric system in 1866, and we have been officially metric since then. Of course, that is only on paper :)

Proponents of the metric system in the U.S. often claim that "the United States, Liberia, and Burma (or Myanmar) are the only countries that have not adopted the metric system." This statement is not correct with respect to the U.S., and probably it isn't correct with respect to Liberia and Burma, either. The U.S. adopted the metric system in 1866. What the U.S. has failed to do is to restrict or prohibit the use of traditional units in areas touching the ordinary citizen: construction, real estate transactions, retail trade, and education. The U.S. has not made the crucial transition from "soft metric" to "hard metric", so that "1 pint (473 mL)" becomes "500 mL (1.057 pint)", with the traditional equivalent fading into smaller type sizes and finally disappearing.
Here's a quick cite:
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/usmetric.html

Pete

Bart Leetch
04-06-2007, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=David Dundas]Bart,

Martin Luther King had a dream that the nation would live up to the words of the Declaration of Independence. In recent times his dream has been fulfilled, more or less, insofar as racial discrimination is concerned. And yet, more than two hundred years after that Declaration, America still gets things done with the British system of measurement, which Britain, and every other country on Earth, were not able to comprehend well enough to keep using it. I am almost 55 years old & have seen new math come & go & other things come & go. Regular math & the measuring system that we've always had has worked fine for me I have no need to change. You are perfectally welcome to use the metric system if you want to. I can divide, add & subtract this measuring system in my head without having to learn something different. If it ain't broke don't try to fix or change it or me. There are some things I have adopted for continuous use but this isn't one of them. Yes I have used it but don't like it & yes I will use it again when & where I have to, [{("BUT ONLY THEN".)}] :D :D You'll have to pry my AMERICAN measuring tape out of my dead fingers.:D :eek: :D Before you try make sure I'm dead & that there isn't a 30-30 Winchester rifle in the other hand.;) :) :D :D Oh by the way we still have the right to keep & bear arms here in the USA, as well as use British system of measurement.:D See below my 1893 Winchester 30 caliber rifle. Still works just fine.

David Dundas
04-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Gary,

I lived in Colorado for four years during the 90's, but moved back to Australia. I enjoyed many aspects of life in America, particularly the fellowship of woodworking neighbors, and still correspond with some of them. But I am very happy that I shall never again own a snow-blower.

Relevance? Well, as someone who was brought up to use the imperial system, and then converted, I realize the logic and convenience of the metric system. The relevance to me is that when I write articles to be published in Australia, Britain, or America, I have to prepare two versions, one in metric and one in inch measurements. This is a waste of time and effort.

The relevance to Americans is that, if they used the metric system, they would not need to subject their children to the tedious and error-prone process of learning how to multiply and divide fractional numbers in order to use their measurement system effectively.

David

Gary Keedwell
04-06-2007, 5:13 PM
Gary,

I lived in Colorado for four years during the 90's, but moved back to Australia. I enjoyed many aspects of life in America, particularly the fellowship of woodworking neighbors, and still correspond with some of them. But I am very happy that I shall never again own a snow-blower.

Relevance? Well, as someone who was brought up to use the imperial system, and then converted, I realize the logic and convenience of the metric system. The relevance to me is that when I write articles to be published in Australia, Britain, or America, I have to prepare two versions, one in metric and one in inch measurements. This is a waste of time and effort.

The relevance to Americans is that, if they used the metric system, they would not need to subject their children to the tedious and error-prone process of learning how to multiply and divide fractional numbers in order to use their measurement system effectively.

David
Don't want to argue the fine points of measuring since it has been beaten to death too many times. Also, who wants to debate the wisdom of men who lived hundreds of years ago. No disrespect to them, but what was then and what is now are light years apart.
Do you want to debate the pro's and con's of Britain's decision to ship alot of their undesirables to a "penal colony?" I think not.:o ;)
Back to woodworking...alot of measurements are inconsequential anyways.
As long as the joints fit tight and square, a story stick, which has been brought up a few times, will suffice!!!
Gary K.

James Carmichael
04-06-2007, 5:38 PM
[ Before you try make sure I'm dead & that there isn't a 30-30 Winchester rifle in the other hand.;) :) :D :D

You mean that 7.62mm in the picuture, Bart?:D

As for the Domino, I'll wait for someone to create a cheaper knockoff, it is just too pricey for me.

Ron Kellison
04-06-2007, 5:53 PM
How does that old expression go...

"A well armed society is a polite society?"

Orson Carter
04-06-2007, 6:34 PM
I'd like to agree with Ken Milhinch. What works for you is fine by me. I use both metric and imperial. (should see the looks on some's faces when I say I want 10ft of 32mm deep pine thanks!):D
Perhaps if writing in metric and imperial is that big an issue, you could write George Dubbya. I'm sure he'll understand and change the systems.:rolleyes:

Orson.

Steve Rowe
04-06-2007, 7:04 PM
Gary,

David
I for one would welcome the change even though it would be a major change in my job (an engineer). It costs us (both imperial and metric users) money in a global economy and is inefficient. BTW - if we all converted to engineers scales that fractional thing would be a thing of the past.

Since we purchase our lumber (timber) by the board foot, does the metric part of the world purchase it by the board meter?
Steve

Bart Leetch
04-06-2007, 7:06 PM
You mean that 7.62mm in the picuture, Bart?:D

As for the Domino, I'll wait for someone to create a cheaper knockoff, it is just too pricey for me.

I knew it measured out to that size but just couldn't bring myself to call it that. Just sacrilege thats all just sacrilege. I just could not bring myself to badmouth such a treasured antique. I have two of the old boxes of ammo for it too. This weapon has been in my family for over 40 years. I sure would like to know all the history behind it.

Gary Keedwell
04-06-2007, 8:50 PM
I for one would welcome the change even though it would be a major change in my job (an engineer). It costs us (both imperial and metric users) money in a global economy and is inefficient. BTW - if we all converted to engineers scales that fractional thing would be a thing of the past.

Since we purchase our lumber (timber) by the board foot, does the metric part of the world purchase it by the board meter?
Steve
I worked for a company as a machinist and later as chief floor inspector who signed off all the work before it went into production. This company is the WORLD leader in this product that has very tight tolerances. You name the country....we sold them our product. We averaged between 30-40 million in sales every year.
I have worked every day with at least a dozen engineers,and not one of them ever complained that we were working in Imperial and not one of them wished we were working in metric.
China, England and almost any country you can think of... buys our product.
As a matter of fact, I never had a conversation with anybody in the company, which employs over 200 people,about the use of the metric system. The subject never comes up. Period.
There.....I finally got that off my chest!!!!!
Gary K:o

David Dundas
04-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Steve

Steve,

We buy our timber by the cubic meter. 1 cubic meter is 423.7 board feet. Working out volume in cubic meters is very easy in this era of the pocket calculator: you simply multiply together the three dimensions of a board in millimeters, and then divide by 1 billion (10^9). So a board 25 x 200 x 2400 millimeters (roughly 1" x 8" x 96", or 5.333 board feet) is 0.012 cubic meters. Most Australian hardwoods cost AU$2000-4500 (US$1600-3600) per cubic meter, but we pay around AU$7000-8000 per cubic meter for top-quality foreign timbers like cherry and walnut.

David

Ken Milhinch
04-07-2007, 12:50 AM
OK, I'll buy into this one now. I was brought up with the Imperial measurement system, and have since converted to metric when the rest of Australia did. Personally, whilst I understand the mathematics are simpler without fractions, I still think (and measure) in imperial. They could scrap the metric system tomorrow, and I would be very happy - it's not going to happen though.

Ken Milhinch
04-07-2007, 12:52 AM
Steve,

We buy our timber by the cubic meter. 1 cubic meter is 423.7 board feet. Working out volume in cubic meters is very easy in this era of the pocket calculator: you simply multiply together the three dimensions of a board in millimeters, and then divide by 1 billion (10^9). So a board 25 x 200 x 2400 millimeters (roughly 1" x 8" x 96", or 5.333 board feet) is 0.012 cubic meters. Most Australian hardwoods cost AU$2000-4500 (US$1600-3600) per cubic meter, but we pay around AU$7000-8000 per cubic meter for top-quality foreign timbers like cherry and walnut.

David

Good luck finding a pocket calculator which can handle billions !;)

Tim Wagner
04-07-2007, 1:52 AM
Well I know when working on cars now and days that most fasteners are measured in the metric. but as with the rest, I was taught and raised inches, feet and miles. Oh, and Farinhight.

David Dundas
04-07-2007, 2:32 AM
Good luck finding a pocket calculator which can handle billions !;)

Ken,

Mine does; it is a Texas Instruments solar scientific one. But anyway, with metric, it would be easy enough to do the calculation in meters, instead of millimeters, so a 1" x 8" x 96" board is 0.025 x 0.2 x 2.4 meters = 0.012 cubic meters.

David

Ken Milhinch
04-07-2007, 3:35 AM
Ken,

Mine does; it is a Texas Instruments solar scientific one. But anyway, with metric, it would be easy enough to do the calculation in meters, instead of millimeters, so a 1" x 8" x 96" board is 0.025 x 0.2 x 2.4 meters = 0.012 cubic meters.

David

Solar ? Good thing you are in sunny Qld David, they don't work in Melbourne in winter. :)

Steve Rowe
04-07-2007, 9:01 AM
Steve,

David

Thanks David. It sounds like you guys pretty much get the same thicknesses that we do. It is interesting the price differential between the Australian hardwoods and cherry/walnut. For obvious reasons, it is reversed in the US. Maybe it has something to do with that northern vs. southern hemisphere thing and the way vortexes form in the drains. :D
Steve

Steve Rowe
04-07-2007, 9:16 AM
OK, I'll buy into this one now. I was brought up with the Imperial measurement system, and have since converted to metric when the rest of Australia did. Personally, whilst I understand the mathematics are simpler without fractions, I still think (and measure) in imperial. They could scrap the metric system tomorrow, and I would be very happy - it's not going to happen though.

Interesting. I was also brought up and trained with the Imperial system. When I started using the 32mm hardware system, I converted to using the metric system for anything less than 100mm (4 inches) and anything greater than that I use Imperial. :confused: I find the metric system much easier to use in the smaller dimensions since when I want to find the center of a piece of ply 19mm (lets see - that is something like 23/32" thick) it sure is a lot easier to do the math. I realize this is pretty convoluted but, I actually like Metric but have difficulty visualizing metric dimensions beyond about the width of my hand. I am absolutely positive this is a familiarity thing and am sure someone well versed only in the metric system would have a hard time visualizing something that was 29-3/4" high.
Steve

David Dundas
04-07-2007, 6:40 PM
Steve,

I went through much the same process as you in converting to metric; but it sounds as though you are almost there. If you just remember that 1 foot is close enough to 300 mm (304.8 mm, to be exact), that is all you need to visualize the larger distances in woodworking. But your method sounds a good compromise when you have to work from plans with inch measurements.

David

Jim Dailey
04-07-2007, 7:11 PM
You say "Barbie".....

We say "BBQ"....

But when it comes to be called to the table...

Either of us would get along well in either system!!! ;)

jim

Jim Becker
04-07-2007, 7:20 PM
You say "Barbie".....

My daughters say that a lot...like in Tar-Zhay this afternoon. Oy! More Barbies than you can shake a, well...burnt, pointed stick at around here...:o

Interestingly enough, they are both learning metric and Imperial in school, so at homework time it gets interesting. (Not to mention the Farenheit and Celsius thing...:rolleyes:) My observation is that life would be easier with metric...fractions seem to be a tougher concept to these two for some strange reason. Professor Dr. SWMBO uses metric in her research work; the pediatrician measures things like weight and height in metric...and then converts them to pounds and inches on the papers they show parents (now that's productive!) and so forth. I'm thinking that one of these days I need to do a project or two totally in metric and see how it goes. My major tools offer metric scales already...