PDA

View Full Version : Bar Top Finish Suggestions

Charlie Barnes
04-02-2007, 1:01 PM
I'm finishing my basement and wanted to get some second opinions on the finish (top coat) for the bar top. It will be quarter sawn oak that I will stain using Minwax Antique Gel Stain. (I'm not crazy about using the gel stain, but it provides the color that I'm after and I've used it for a few years now.)

Anyway, my question is regarding the top coat. I normally just use several wiped on coats of poly thinned 50% with odorless mineral spirits. I've used this on some table tops with very good success, however I'm wondering if this is sufficient for bar use or should I consider a physically thicker finish?

Thanks from a frequent lurker but sporadic poster.

Steve Schoene
04-02-2007, 1:51 PM
Usually people prefer a bit thicker film for bar tops. 2 or 3 coats of heavily thinned varnish isn't very protective. When you think about a thicker film there are several things to consider. First is whether you want to fill the pores. Thick films on oak without filling the pores can look a bit tacky, though better on quartersawn than on plainsawn. This will require a couple of applications of an oil based pore filler. The pore filler will supply a lot of the color so you would have to change your routine quite a bit.

You can just put on more coats of finish to build a more protective finish, but I strongly recommend you shift to a traditional resin varnish. Waterlox is a good wipe on, or you can use Behlen Rockhard, either thinned as a wipe on on brushed at nearly full strength. If you use the wipe on you need at least 7-9 coats. This is about equivalent to 2 or 3 brushed on full strength coats.

Jim Becker
04-02-2007, 2:48 PM
I concur with Steve on Behlen Rockhard for this application.