PDA

View Full Version : Mustard Spindle Lock

Pete Jordan
04-02-2007, 11:15 AM
I don't know how to lock the spindle on this machine. I have to have my six year old hold the black button to help me. Do I have to build a jig or am I missing something obvious again?:confused:

Travis Stinson
04-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Pete, some have drilled a hole in the U shaped metal bracket around the button for a pin to slip through, which holds the button down. I simply removed the bottom bolt and swing the bracket over the button when depressed.

George Van
04-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Pete, I just removed the bottom screw from the lock plate, then when I want to lock the spindle I push the button in and swing the plate over the button to lock it. Works for me. Attached is another persons idea. Hope this helps.

Pete Jordan
04-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the responses. It seems like this would be an option on the machine.

CPeter James
04-02-2007, 12:13 PM
PM is fearful that people will try to start the lathe with the arbor locked and that is why it has automatic release. You will smoke the drive blet real fast and possible damage the motor and controler if you do try to start it locked.

CPeter

Mark Pruitt
04-02-2007, 1:06 PM
I'm finding on my 3520 that when I depress the lock button and apply counterclockwise pressure against the faceplate or chuck, I can take my left hand off the button as long as I maintain pressure on the faceplate or chuck. If I let off on the pressure, the lock will spring back out. I might eventually do what either Travis or George suggested but for now this method is working for me. I've heard people complain in the past about the spindle lock being spring-loaded, but what Peter pointed out makes sense and I'm glad it is the way it is.

Paul Zerjay
04-02-2007, 1:29 PM
I do the same as Mark does. All my old Jets were the same way and I guess I just got used to it. I do like the idea of removing one of the screws and sliding the cover plate over the button though.

Mike Turkley
04-02-2007, 4:41 PM
Ditto on what Mark and Paul said.

I do the same as well.

MikeT