PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know where to find?

Craig D Peltier
04-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Hello, I used a drill bit qucik release that fits into the chuck. What I liked about it was it had quick release (like a AC fitting or propane tank) but what was different about this one was it was reversible ( so it had two sides to put bits in).So say you have a countersink on one side and then just pull down fitting flip it and theres the screw bit.
I thought ryobi might of made it? The fittings are brass in color.The shank is steel.
Ive searched a few sites and only found the single sided ones. Two sided would be very handy to have.

Jim Becker
04-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Consider the Jack Rabbit. Review on my site. Very handy when you want to stick with one drill/driver for both drilling/countersink as well as driving the screws.

glenn bradley
04-02-2007, 12:05 PM
I've seen double ended bits at Mc Feely's and the like but not with the ball detent. ;-(

Jason White
04-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Any HD or Lowe's will have 'em. They're labelled under lotsa different names (ryobi, dewalt, hitachi, etc.). The bits are not tapered, however, which I prefer. I'm told they give screws more holding power than the straight bits.

I prefer the ones like the "jack rabbit." Rockler also has a similar one called the "Insty bit" or something like that.

JW

Hello, I used a drill bit qucik release that fits into the chuck. What I liked about it was it had quick release (like a AC fitting or propane tank) but what was different about this one was it was reversible ( so it had two sides to put bits in).So say you have a countersink on one side and then just pull down fitting flip it and theres the screw bit.
I thought ryobi might of made it? The fittings are brass in color.The shank is steel.
Ive searched a few sites and only found the single sided ones. Two sided would be very handy to have.

Hal Flynt
04-02-2007, 2:24 PM
I have a DeWalt one of what I am pretty sure you are describing. I looked at HD a month ago and didn't see any like mine (about 3/4" in Diameter). I did find the drill and countersink bit by Ryobi that fits my DeWalt.

I did see one like it by Hitachi at Lowes this weekend.

James Suzda
04-02-2007, 5:38 PM
Hello, I used a drill bit quick release that fits into the chuck. What I liked about it was it had quick release (like a AC fitting or propane tank) but what was different about this one was it was reversible ( so it had two sides to put bits in).So say you have a countersink on one side and then just pull down fitting flip it and theres the screw bit.
I thought Robbi might of made it? The fittings are brass in color.The shank is steel.
I've got a Craftman's speedlock drill and drive set that you can put a two ended driver in it. (I've got a countersink in one end and a bit in the other.) Some of the larger Craftsman sets have drill bits included.
You are right, they are handy if you want to drill some pilot holes, then drive the screws.
Jim

Paul Fitzgerald
04-13-2007, 11:31 AM
I have one just like you're describing and it is made by Ryobi. I bought it at Home Depot a while back. They also had different sized bits you could buy separately.

So did you ever find what you were looking for?

I recently completed the assembly of a Cedar planter and found that my Ryobi drill bit/driver combo tool didn't work with the #8 screws I was using. I didn't have the right size bit (and didn't know HD had different sized accessory bits until afterwards)

So I ended up drilling a shank hole with a standard 11/64" drill bit. Then I came back with the Ryobi combo tool and drilled the 5/64" pilot hole and countersink. That worked great, but took way too much time to chuck and rechuck and rechuck... :)

So that got me thinking... All the little combo tools I've seen only have a pilot hole bit and a countersink. Why the heck don't they have a shank hole bit built into the countersink bit. (Yeah, that sounds a bit confusing).

I found that if I just drilled a pilot hole with a countersink, the shank of the #8 screw (the part without the threads) would split the wood every single time. That's when I started using two drill bits and the countersink.

So I did some searching, and the only thing I found that looked to fit the bill was this: Makita 784832-A 13-Piece Industrial Quad-Driver Drill, Countersink and Screwdriver Set (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000224F5/ref=ord_cart_shr/104-6949155-7243930?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance). If you look real close at the large picture, the bit looks as though it'll drill the pilot hole, the shank hole, and the countersink all at once!

Should I just use a tapered bit? :) Should I just drill the shank hole and skip the pilot hole? Should I buy two more cordless drills so I can have two bits and a driver installed at the same time? LOL. The Jack Rabbit does look nice though. :p

So... Am I just nuts or what? :D

Craig D Peltier
04-13-2007, 12:48 PM
I did find the ryobi at the Borg.Its 9.97 there.I ordered a single sided quick release in the meantime and I have used it sveral times.Its nice, but it would be real nice if it could clamp drill bits as well.Unless they make a set of drill bits with hex heads not sure on that.
I have the dewalt 3 pack of countersink bits with three different size shank bits.Seems to work well so far but havent run into what you did I guess.

I have one just like you're describing and it is made by Ryobi. I bought it at Home Depot a while back. They also had different sized bits you could buy separately.

So did you ever find what you were looking for?

I recently completed the assembly of a Cedar planter and found that my Ryobi drill bit/driver combo tool didn't work with the #8 screws I was using. I didn't have the right size bit (and didn't know HD had different sized accessory bits until afterwards)

So I ended up drilling a shank hole with a standard 11/64" drill bit. Then I came back with the Ryobi combo tool and drilled the 5/64" pilot hole and countersink. That worked great, but took way too much time to chuck and rechuck and rechuck... :)

So that got me thinking... All the little combo tools I've seen only have a pilot hole bit and a countersink. Why the heck don't they have a shank hole bit built into the countersink bit. (Yeah, that sounds a bit confusing).

I found that if I just drilled a pilot hole with a countersink, the shank of the #8 screw (the part without the threads) would split the wood every single time. That's when I started using two drill bits and the countersink.

So I did some searching, and the only thing I found that looked to fit the bill was this: Makita 784832-A 13-Piece Industrial Quad-Driver Drill, Countersink and Screwdriver Set (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000224F5/ref=ord_cart_shr/104-6949155-7243930?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance). If you look real close at the large picture, the bit looks as though it'll drill the pilot hole, the shank hole, and the countersink all at once!

Should I just use a tapered bit? :) Should I just drill the shank hole and skip the pilot hole? Should I buy two more cordless drills so I can have two bits and a driver installed at the same time? LOL. The Jack Rabbit does look nice though. :p

So... Am I just nuts or what? :D