PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
04-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

Today, I get to be proud and say that I DID get some shop time this weekend AND I did "finish" the dresser project!!!! :) See?? I can do something besides working the day job. :D

The dresser/changing table is 32" tall, 20" deep and 54" wide. Every drawer has machine cut dovetails all the way around and full extension ballbearing drawer slides for smooth and long lasting drawer operation. Since this is for a newborn baby? I always put some EXTRA "nice" wood somewhere hidden in the project. For this one, it's Black Walnut that was glued up and used for the mounting of the "internal" drawer slides. The customer wanted this to be made as inexpensively as possible and yet sturdy and paintable. This will be painted white by the customer.

Today, I get back to work on the oval kitchen table project. This project would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing. :confused:

Spent part of this past Friday getting water out of our neighbors house. They were away visiting family in Kansas and one of my kids had the responsibility to feed their cats while they were away. Thursday night, all was fine. Feeding time Friday morning? I get a call from my son saying that the house was flooded. :eek: It was the water line running to the ice maker on the back of the refridgerator. I finally got the water shut off and we gathered up 3 wet/dry vacs and got busy getting water out of their house. The LOML called the neighbors in Kansas to break the news to them and they were grateful for us even being there for them. I tell you, it's great to serve other people in our lives, no matter what it is. :D

Played bass at church on Sunday and gotta get ready for the music for this week for our Easter Services...WOW!!! What music that's going to be.

There's more, but I'll spare you all the details.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Mark Pruitt
04-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Hello Dennis,
Nice piece of flatwork you have going there, but I don't want to speak too highly of something that keeps you away from the spinny stuff!:D :D Seriously, it's gonna look great!

My parents were here for a visit over the weekend, so we did a lot of driving around, eating out, eating at home...we're all 10 pounds fatter but it's always great to see Mom & Dad. I demo'd the Mustard Machine for 'em and sent 'em home with some of my turnings.:D Great weekend.

Jim Becker
04-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Very nice work, Dennis.

I, too, got shop time and spent most of it milling up some lumber for the next vanity projects...stuff like leg stock and thin material. Of course, all that came after a little road trip (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=55212)... I also assembled the cherry mirror that matches the first vanity, but found some minor finishing things I want to fix and will do so as the weather gets warmer.

Nastia did a little painting on her birdhouse, too.

Ted Miller
04-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Looks great Dennis. I too had a lot of time in my shop this weekend. I did some DC work to my RAS and SCMS. Relocated my Belt/Disk sander and made a spot on my outfeed table for my long 118" and the 55" Festool guide rail so they could be placed out of the way when not in us. Added a 9" quick release vise to my outfeed table where I do most of my work. And as usual I pulled an "Al" and did some cleaning, he would have been proud...

Tyler Howell
04-02-2007, 11:46 AM
As predicted,
Cleaning and cooking this weekend.
Great concert with old folkie Tom Paxton.
Wined and dined my guests in style.
Also paid off as I am the new chili cooking champ of 39XX 12th Avenue:D :D !!!
We all brewed up our culdrens of chili then went from house to house to praise and graze. Fun time.
No shop time other than to work the punch list so guests wouldn't have to see incomplete light fixtures, switch plates, and blinds.
Have a safe week.
TJH

Charles Wilson
04-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Took Saturday and put up a garage door opener.

Took Sunday, went shopping with wife and kids, cleaned garage, rested.

Chuck

Al Willits
04-02-2007, 1:43 PM
Ted, I'd be a proud papa if you were my kid...way to go...YAAAAY...:D

Andl...yes I did a bit of cleaning Sat too.
And I also cleaned up the stack of Cd's I had in the garage.
I keep bringing them out and never back to the house..

Lori worked till noon and then we went off shopping, stopped at Rockler and bought some euro hinges, the bit and guide and also a pair of 50" Jet clamps they had on sale.
Then off to order a couple of Anderson windows for the kitchen and got a $850 cost for two of them...on the way to check out we figured this wasn't close to the last bid we got so back we went, new guy at the comp and we come up with a little over $525....whew!

So with the money we saved....we went to Red lobster :D

Sunday was fun, Beasty came out and we started the storage cabinet. She helped make sure I cut everything right, and helped me cut the plywood on the TS.
She also actually did a few of the biscuit cuts and was smiling when she left....I did mention how much fun it'd be running a drum sander and she kept smiling...and said to sell the Dewalt planer and we'll see....YAAAAY...I think.

Great weekend, hope everybody had a great one too.

Al

Nancy Laird
04-02-2007, 1:47 PM
Dennis, the changing table is looking good - glad to know that the drawers quit sticking.

My weekend was spent in the car - coming home from my vacation. Did a Creeker visit with Ed Breen in Muskogee, OK on Saturday morning, spent the night with friends in Western OK, and got home mid-afternoon on Sunday, having put 2,740.1 miles on my car since noon on March 23. All by my lonesome!!! I had a ball visiting Dennis and his family, Keith Burns, Ed, and other friends and relatives. After a week or so, I'll be ready to do it again.

Nancy

Don Bullock
04-02-2007, 4:28 PM
That looks great Dennis, but I thought finished was after the finish is on.;) :D

My weekend was spent celebrating family birthdays and driving to and from the "celebrations." Very little shop time.:(

JayStPeter
04-02-2007, 5:10 PM
Well, I finally dug my shop out from the basement refinish project. No more couches or other furniture around at all. I also sold one of my lawnmowers freeing up some space in the shed. So I cleaned the shop, shed, and some of the garage. I even did some minor shop rearranging to accomodate the MFT bought during the disaster phase. I used my clean shop to prep some lumber and make some caps for the half wall in the basement. I'm down to a few pieces of trim, some trim paint, doors for the CB panel wall opening, and install some outlets and the main part of the basement will be done. Could be a weekend, but more likely 2. I'll try to save the bathroom until the weather turns, but haven't run that idea by the boss yet :eek: .

Fred Voorhees
04-02-2007, 5:14 PM
Delivered the sideboard project to our son and his fiance Friday night and enjoyed a nice dinner with them while talking over the upcoming nuptials and how the plans are going with that. Saturday found me checking out a promising new rough sawn lumber source since my steady and reliable source from the past is no longer available. The new source is a young lad who seems to really have a passion for the business and I like what I saw. He plans on purchasing/building a kiln within the next year (I hope :)) and that should further boost his supply of ready to go lumber off of the shelf. I just today also was contacted by another possible source that sounds great, and you can't beat the location, practically across the street from me. Who knew?:eek: He is sending me a list of prices and I will be checking out his operation within the next few weeks. His prices he quoted me over the phone sound really great, so that sounds like it bodes well for my lumber sources for the future.

Came home from the sourcing Saturday and continued on the finishing up of the details on the platform bed and it is now pretty much ready for finishing, which should commence Tuesday. I'll be using a polyurethane and tung oil combination in a wipe on application. Sunday was to be my first live auto racing show of the season at a dirt track a couple of hours away, but Ma Nature stepped in and threw a monkey wrench into the works. So, the usual gang congregated in the bar room for the days NASCAR race from Martinsville.

Dan Stuewe
04-02-2007, 6:53 PM
After four years or so five doors dowstairs are completely trimed! I also dirtied up the Norton stones and sharpend my chisles and irons (new experiance for me). Didn't test on wood, just hairy arms. They're still pretty hairy, but there is a thin spot or two. Can't wait to try them out on some dovetails that are in my future.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-02-2007, 7:50 PM
I batched it this weekend as Sharon went to Vancouver and Goldendale WA to get the youngest grandson, granddaughter and great grandson. So last night I got to play with little Hugh for the first time. The little 3 month old tyke smiles with his whole body! This morning great grandson and great grandpa got up at 0500 and I got to feed him for my first time.

Oh..........I did rough out several bowls from that load of maple burl I came into recently.

Eugene A. Manzo III
04-02-2007, 9:14 PM
Nice Job Dennis !!!!

I tried to tell my son why it made sense for me to purchase a Chraftsman table saw. He's 31 and very sharp and he just said "Dad
you don't need that, you should get a house first" Hmmm I hate it
when someone catches me at my internal justification game. I let the
sale pass at midnight Friday and I did not order the saw. I love my son
very much but if he keeps making sense maybe he should stay home :D .
Worked Saturday and Sick on Sunday.