PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 112 vs LV scraper

Brian Hale
04-02-2007, 9:17 AM
I see the Stanley version on ebay going for $150 and up while the Veritas is listed as $149. Is there any advantage of one over the other? I'm looking for something to use, not admire ;)

Brian :)

Frank Martin
04-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Brian,

I have the Veritas version with both the thin and thick A2 blades. It works well. Actually the Veritas version has some functional improvements (ability to bow the blade is one of them, see their website for full descrption) over the Stanley version.

I see the Stanley version on ebay going for $150 and up while the Veritas is listed as $149. Is there any advantage of one over the other? I'm looking for something to use, not admire ;)

Mike K Wenzloff
04-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi Brian--get the LV version with both blades. Flexing the thin blade has advantages for heavier stock removal and or small areas of tear-out and the thick blade for leveling. The LV works better than my original Stanleys I have had.

Take care, Mike

Brian Hale
04-03-2007, 4:18 AM
Thanks guys! I was kinda leaning toward the LV, if for no other reason than to save a few $$, but there's just something attractive about those old Stanley's ;)

Andrew Williams
04-03-2007, 8:09 AM
I use my Lie Neilsen 112 all the time. It only has the one thick blade but once set properly it does a great job. I usually finish with handheld card scrapers.

rick fulton
04-03-2007, 9:34 AM
Brian,
If you do buy the Stanley you should consider the cost of upgrading the blade to a thicker Hock blade. The Hock blade is less likely to chatter. But, if I were to do it again, I'd get a LV or LN scraper plane.
rick

Mike Weaver
04-03-2007, 3:40 PM
Hi Brian--get the LV version with both blades. Flexing the thin blade has advantages for heavier stock removal and or small areas of tear-out and the thick blade for leveling. The LV works better than my original Stanleys I have had.

Take care, Mike

Brian,
I have neither, but what Mike says jives with what I've read numerous times around the 'Net.

I'll likely go LV when I get one.

-Mike

Bill Webber
04-03-2007, 9:25 PM
The lee Valley will be a nice tool and will likely do everything you want it to do. However, the Stanley works well, too, and will likely always be worth what you paid for it. :rolleyes:

fwiw,

Bill W.