PDA

View Full Version : Fein Multi-

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-02-2007, 8:15 AM
Any one own one?
I have seen their infomercial. It looks like it may have some value - just not so much the way they are selling it.

I've never held a Fein tool in my hand and have no information on whether that company makes trash or what.

Jim Becker
04-02-2007, 8:57 AM
I've only heard good things about the Multimaster, Cliff. If you have a job that it's suited to, the tool is a good one.

Bob Marino
04-02-2007, 9:04 AM
Cliff,

Marketing this tool aside, Fein makes some of the best power tools in the world. We in the USA get only a sliver of their offerings and not much of their top of the line industrial stuff at that. As for the MM, I had one some years ago and it is is well built and smooth. Maybe not the best sander in the world, but can't be matched for versatility.

Bob

James Kuhn
04-02-2007, 9:10 AM
As a hibitual tool abuser a can say that I've had one for about two years and it is built like a tank. After I left mine out in the rain (after not finishing one of the many projects that I start but don't finish) for almost a month I recovered it and put it back into service with a little rust, but no change in performance. Some of the attachments are more useful than others, but all in all I am very happy with it. I had a pretty snobby reaction to the big ad compaign until I saw one great result: I can now get replacement pads and such at the local hardware store (the pricing is still absurd).

Steve Roxberg
04-02-2007, 9:16 AM
Cliff,

I love my Fein MM, but have to admit that I never use it as a sander. I use the saw and scrapper all the time on home type projects.

If sanding is your main, or only interest there are probably better detail sanders, read Festool.

As a saw, and Scrapper it's awesome and I use it more often that I ever thought I would.

Al Rose
04-02-2007, 9:39 AM
I've had my MultiMaster for a few months now and I'm very pleased with it. It is extremely well made and I find that I use it a lot more than I thought I would. I originally bought it to cut out baseboard and quarter round to fit a new pantry flush to the wall. It worked great! I have since used it on every remodeling and "honey do" job around the house. It's one of those tools that makes you wonder how you did without it.

Gary Ratajczak
04-02-2007, 9:57 AM
After reading a number of posts, it seems the only slightly negative I could find was about the velcro sanding pads. It seems that the unit is pretty powerful, and the velcro pads don;t stay on very well.

The PSA (Pressure Sensative Adhesive), on the other hand, seem to stick very well.

I have a number of wood windows on the exterior, as well as trim to scrape. I'm going to buy the smallest variable speed kit, as it has all the accessories I would need.

I have read that the carbide rasp works very well also, and have paint to remove in spots on some old siding - I think it will work great for that one as well.

Check www.coastaltool.com (http://www.coastaltool.com) - last I looked, they had a special rebate. Have not checked recently, though.

Good luck!!

Mark Singer
04-02-2007, 10:01 AM
It is a very good detail sander...I often use it to remove dried glue at joints

Scott Coffelt
04-02-2007, 10:31 AM
I had one, then got rid of it and then wish I hadn't. Cause as murphy's law hit and I need that specific tool.

Dan Lee
04-02-2007, 10:40 AM
I think its a great tool. Never had a detail sander that could sand into corners and perpendicular surfaces so thourghly. Very low vibration. I think the velcro is actually very good.
I've had a Ryobi and Porter Cable that are junk compared to the MM

Brad Schmid
04-02-2007, 5:20 PM
I've had one for 2 yrs now. Had a Ryobi before that and it was junk. I originally bought it for sanding winged bowls, but soon found other uses. I've used it as a sander and cutting (door casing, baseboard, etc.).

The last project we did was to completely regrout our 200sq ft 12x12 marble tile entryway. It easily and quickly sliced out all the old grout, and here's the best part: My wife watched me do the first few tiles, said "let me try", and then did the entire entryway herself! Big bonus there:D

Norm St.Onge
04-02-2007, 8:58 PM
I don't use it as a sander but for remodeling work when you need to cut that piece of installed molding or trim without trashing the piece - or the adjoining piece or the wall behind it! - or for grinding out old grout it can't be beat.

Be sure to check out blade prices and/or the many threads on other forums about fabricating your own blades...hit a nail and you'll be dropping $60 (or more) on a replacement in a heartbeat.

Still, I only use it occasionally but on that occasion no other tool will work.

These guys had them on special not too long ago; http://www.heavydutytools.net/Scripts/default.asp

-Norm

Chris Stevens
04-02-2007, 9:43 PM
does anyone have experience with the "supercut"? apparently this is a heavy duty (heavy duty cost as well) version of the mm.

Curt Harms
04-03-2007, 6:40 PM
I have one. I haven't used it much, but it will do certain operations that no other tool will substitute for. I needed to cut the overhang off a cabinet in order to fit a new larger fridge. There was no way to get a circular saw in there and there was no room to use a handsaw. Fired up the MultiMaster and was done in a few seconds. I need to cut some window seats out and replace them-another job for the MM. It'll cut flush with a floor or up to a wall. It's more useful for renovation work than for for new work in my opinion but worth having.

HTH

Curt

Chris Stevens
04-03-2007, 8:06 PM
ok. so I'm trying to figure the practical differences between the supercut and the multimaster. seems like everyone has the multimaster and is fairly happy with it. would the supercut be overkill? I plan typical usage like cutting grout and tile joints, hardwood flooring (lacing repairs) maybe even some scraping and sanding (paint and wood). I do quite a bit of remodeling work.

craig caldwell
04-03-2007, 10:37 PM
I love my mm. I don't use in very often but when I need it I NEED IT! Difficult veneer, check. Wierd hardware, check. When you are in an ackward sitiuation for some reason it is the go to tool. Now if it could only check my speling.

Paul Canaris
04-03-2007, 10:40 PM
I have one Cliff. It has it's uses. But it's not all things.