PDA

View Full Version : Pen Turners - Need help

Doug M Jones
04-02-2007, 7:56 AM
I recently purchased a Jet Mini and the supplies to make some pens. I don't have a drill press and the drilling jig I ordered has been back-ordered. I tried to drill a blank with my cordless drill and had quite a bit of slop in the hole. I went ahead and inserted the tubes and turned the pen. I had one blow up near the end of the tube and I think it was due to the void between the tube and the wood. A drill press is not in the budget until I get the bi-annual profit sharing check from work in May. Any suggestions on how to drill a better hole. I am making pen and pencil sets for the confirmation/Sunday school class I teach and using 8mm classic kits. I was going to use pre-drilled blanks but they all are 7mm or 10mm. I don't have a scroll chuck or collet chuck so drilling with the lathe is not an option at this time either.

Any suggestions on how to drill a better hole on the cheap?

Jim Milne
04-02-2007, 8:18 AM
I saw this on craigslist after a google search:
Hand Drill Press (http://columbus.craigslist.org/tls/298263765.html)

I have one somewhere in the shop that I used many years ago when I first started drilling wood/metal as a kid. Some of these can be found in flea markets/yard sales for a dollar or so. It'll do in a pinch but I would rather put that $ on a Harbor Freight drill press (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44506)

Hope this helps,
Jim

Gary Ratajczak
04-02-2007, 8:33 AM
If you are using 8mm kits, then just buy the pre-drilled 7mm blanks, and enlarge using your 8mm bit. The hole will be true, and should enlarge much easier than the new hole you are trying to drill without a drillpress.

Just my observation.

Ron Sardo
04-02-2007, 8:58 AM
Do you have a chuck?

I drill my blanks using one with a set of #1 jaws

Grant Wilkinson
04-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Doug

You could get one of the 7 mil blanks, and drill it out to 8. Given you are taking off so little material, you should be able to keep that straight.
Then, cut that blank in half or into thirds. Clamp a piece to the end of your solid blank - maybe in a vise - using the drilled one as a bushing to guide your bit and keep it square. If your bit is too short to get through the new blank, it should be long enough to get you well started at least. Then you can remove the bushing and finish your drilling.

If you have a local machine shop, you could get them to make you a bushing in steel.

Jim Myers
04-02-2007, 12:49 PM
There is always something like this

http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-36-37-Precision/dp/B00004T82L

It may not be as precise as a drill press but it will probably give you better results.

Rich Souchek
04-02-2007, 1:08 PM
Doug,
Switching to polyurathane glue (Gorilla glue or sumitomo sp? glue which expands to fill gaps, activated by water) would help the void problem if y9ou must continue with what you have.
Another option is to post some WTB adds for a small drill press. You might be able to get one for $30 or so if you look.
Rich S.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
04-02-2007, 1:19 PM
Do you have a chuck?

I drill my blanks using one with a set of #1 jaws

Same here, I do all my pen drilling on the lathe, a Oneway Talon chuck with spiggot jaws and a Jacobbs chuck...500 rpm....dead centre every time..
:cool:

Ed Breen
04-02-2007, 4:47 PM
I am getting tired of using my drill press. I never seeem to get it dead center! I think I'll try using the lathe instead. great idea.
Ed:confused:

Stan Cook
04-02-2007, 4:58 PM
Why not use 7mm kits or 10mm kits?

Mike Vickery
04-02-2007, 5:21 PM
I also drill on the lathe using #1 jaws. If you are dead set against buying a chuck you could probably jig it to drill on the lathe as longs as you had a Jacobs (drill chuck) if not they are usually only $30ish.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=52924&d=1166545962

This is a jig that I made to drill tool handles that were to long for me to drill on my mini. Obviously the design and scale would need to be modified but if I had to drill pen blanks without a scroll chuck or drill press I would make a jig based on the same principle. Probably with the v pieces on the jig having a heigth adjustment and some way to lock the blank in so that it would not twist. Be carefull though if you decided to build something this method would definately not be as safe as a scroll chuck or drill press.

Pat Salter
04-02-2007, 6:08 PM
If you are an AAW member, check with other members. If not, check with them anyhow. most are VERY friendly and helpful. We have some members who don't have complete shops and the rest of us are ususally willing to have them come by for the visit if nothing else. :)

Doug M Jones
04-02-2007, 8:03 PM
As usual, lots of good ideas. I hope to have a chuck and a drill press in the near future but I have exceeded the woodturning budget at this time. The drill guide that was backordered from Steebar came while I was at work today so I gave it a try and while the hole is still not at tight as I would like it to be, it is workable.

I probably should have gone with the 7mm kits and predrilled blanks but I really liked the style of the classic kit and they are to be presents for when my Sunday school class gets confirmed at the end of the month so I went with what I liked.

Finally, I would like to take my hat off to many of the Sawmill Creek community. In addition to the suggestions and advice, I have had a couple of gentlemen offer to drill my blanks for me so I could complete the project. Woodworkers are the best!!