PDA

View Full Version : What a place for a bird to build a nest.

Lou Ferrarini
04-02-2007, 6:52 AM
I was off visiting my son in Buffalo a few weeks ago and when I got home I found this on my electric meter:

Lou Ferrarini
04-02-2007, 6:54 AM
After a few weeks, one of the eggs hatched and now I have this:

Peter Stahl
04-02-2007, 7:35 AM
Once the babies are out of the nest you'll need to clean it off or they'll be back. You might even have to put those spikey things there to keep them from coming back. Looks like some type of dove which like to nest on ledges like pigeons do. I like birds but not nesting on my house.

Joe Pelonio
04-02-2007, 7:54 AM
I wonder if the babies glow in the dark?

Mitchell Andrus
04-02-2007, 8:14 AM
That's a lousy way to treat a finely machined garden hose attachment. Shame on you.

But.... why would you share pictures of such careless storage of your tools with us?

Jim Becker
04-02-2007, 9:40 AM
Mourning Doves don't seem to be too particular about nesting...nor do they build a "substantial" nest. We have one outside our bedroom window on a branch of the crab apple tree. It's just a few sticks perched precariously out in the middle of the span...but they raised three clutches last summer in that spot. (A robin pair used to build a bigger nest there, but they have moved to the other side of the tree where there is more cover) But they are nice birds to have around..."country pigeons", if you will. If you get them used to you when they are young, you can likely get them to eat from your hands. We did that a few years ago with a young fledgling we named Priscilla who hung around our patio early on...

Dennis Peacock
04-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Very nice Lou.!!! With the ever increasing destruction of many of our wildlife's own natural territories, the family and I try to help animals nest/bed to grow more young when we can. We have birdhouses, squirrel feeder, ducks that we feed, wild rabbits, and the list goes on. Once the nest is vacant, you can then clean it off and get back to life as normal.

Joe Pelonio
04-02-2007, 1:20 PM
Since this thread started I've noticed a crow making at least 6 trips over my house with 12-18" twigs. I hope he's continuing on over to the trees in back and not building a nest on my house. Must be that time of year.

Dick Durbin
04-03-2007, 3:45 PM
It's interesting how so many wildlife species have figured out that they can live close to us without suffering any harm. My brother-in-law in Louisville has a mallard nesting in his subdivision backyard.

We live right in the middle of a subdivision and have had deer, foxes, snakes, possums, raccoons, rabbits, squirrels, and a bunch of armadillos in our backyard within the last year.

Lou Ferrarini
04-03-2007, 6:46 PM
I wonder if the babies glow in the dark?

Oh My Gosh... They Do..

Look At This: