PDA

View Full Version : latest project: nightstand

Andrew Williams
04-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Just finished the drawer today, now it just needs to be disassembled and finished. This is the nightstand to match a bed I made last year. Not really a power tool piece and not really Neander. I pretty much used both.

Don Bullock
04-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Congratulations Andrew. It looks very nice. Be sure to post pictures of the finished project.

Jules Dominguez
04-02-2007, 12:18 AM
Nice job.

You might want to consider aligning the grain in the vertical direction on the side panels on future projects.

glenn bradley
04-02-2007, 8:26 AM
That's nice! I need a couple of those . .. how come I make everybody else's stuff first and my stuff still ain't done?

Ben Grunow
04-02-2007, 9:35 PM
THat is a nice looking piece and great proportion/material choice. My initial reaction to the ply sides was that they should be vertical as well but I think this actually looks nice on such a small piece (does the bed have similar detail?).

WHat is planned for finish?

Andrew Williams
04-03-2007, 7:58 AM
The reason for the sideways plywood is that this entire piece is made from offcuts from other pieces. In retrospect, I am partially glad that I did it this way as it gives a little depth to the cabinet. The bed uses very little plywood, just 3 panels in the headboard, oriented up and down (which will match the cabinet door panel). I am not certain that the two pieces will match eachother all that well. The finishing scheme will be similar to the bed, although somewhat less use of the deep red.

THat is a nice looking piece and great proportion/material choice. My initial reaction to the ply sides was that they should be vertical as well but I think this actually looks nice on such a small piece (does the bed have similar detail?).

WHat is planned for finish?

Mario Lucchesi
04-03-2007, 8:26 AM
Very nice, I like the clean lines.

Ryan Lee
04-03-2007, 8:49 AM
Looks great. Keep up the good work!

John Buzzurro
04-03-2007, 9:47 AM
Nice job, Andrew. Novice question - Looks like you used solid wood edges on the ply sides. How did you join the edges to the ply?

Andrew Williams
04-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Making the edges was a bit tricky since I was unwilling to simply glue solid wood strips to the edges of the ply. I decided that a spline type joint would be best, but wanted a thin edge, so I fabricated T-shaped mouldings using the router table, basically cutting two opposite grooves near the edge of a board, then ripping the moulding free from the board on the tablesaw. The edges were slotted with the handheld router and slotting cutter. Any variances in thickness were dealt with using the shoulder plane, and once the edging was glued on, a block plane to make it flush.

Nice job, Andrew. Novice question - Looks like you used solid wood edges on the ply sides. How did you join the edges to the ply?

Ben Grunow
04-03-2007, 9:39 PM
Only WWers will notice the sides and I am all for using what you have. Nicely done.

Ben

Charles Jackson III
04-07-2007, 9:08 PM
Thats a nice nightstand.