PDA

View Full Version : Adhesive absorption question

John Piwaron
04-01-2007, 9:31 PM
My concern is about endgrain absorption of adhesive. I glued up a frame with 8 joints using floating tenon joinery. It appears that the long grain in the holes and on the tenons themselves are fine, it's just that I noticed the endgrain soaking up the adhesive like a dry sponge absorbing water.

The adhesive is West System Epoxy. The wood is poplar. Yes, epoxy is probably overkill, but my bottle of polyurethane adhesive went bad (imagine that), and Titebond sets up too fast.

Fortunately this is a test assembly before I commit the much more expensive wood for the real project.

So what might be better - would polyurethane adhesive be less prone to be absorbed that way? Or can I expect *any* adhesive to be taken up and plan on relying on my tenon for the joints strength and holding it together?

Jim Becker
04-01-2007, 9:35 PM
The strength of your miter joints is coming from the tenons. I'm not sure it's worth worrying about the end-grain issue. But one solution is to lightly precoat the end grain with the adhesive and let it dry. Then assemble the joint normally.

John Piwaron
04-01-2007, 9:40 PM
One solution is to lightly precoat the end grain with the adhesive and let it dry. Then assemble the joint normally.

Good idea. I'll try that.

Gary Keedwell
04-01-2007, 9:53 PM
Oh, Jim stoled my thunder. :mad: :p
Gary K.