PDA

View Full Version : Stand for mortiser

Brian Keith
04-01-2007, 9:28 PM
I bought a mortiser last week and as yet havnt opened the box for lack of space. Anyone have any pics of their stands with a mortiser for some ideas? Thanks

Gary Keedwell
04-01-2007, 9:46 PM
I bought a mortiser last week and as yet havnt opened the box for lack of space. Anyone have any pics of their stands with a mortiser for some ideas? Thanks
When I moved a couple of years ago I put my mortiser on the only stand I had left. It was too short. Being the lazy guy that I am, I pulled up a chair and it was just right. I just went to measure and it is 26" from the floor to the top of mortiser table. I had a 2 hour job and it was very comfortable. I could pull the handle and see my work without any strain.
Hope I helped,
Gary K.:o

Don Bullock
04-01-2007, 10:03 PM
As soon as I get my stand finished and the mortiser installed on it I plan to post it as a gloat. I decided to use a Craftsman rolling tool cabinet that I bought on sale at Sears. I'm adding an oak plywood (scrap from another project) top to it. Once the top is finished I'll be mounting a Delta bench top drill press (300L) and a Stell City mortiser back to back. The drawers in the cabinent hold all my drilling and mortising tools. While I'd rather have a stand made from wood, I just didn't have the time to make one. Just the top is taking several weeks due to my current busy schedule.

Bruce Wrenn
04-01-2007, 10:58 PM
On the NYW, Norm built a miter saw bench. Included was a cut out that is removed and mortiser is put in it's place. He also built some supports that matched height of mortiser table.

Brad Townsend
04-02-2007, 1:41 PM
This is what I did. Simple and sturdy but relatively cheap.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/btownsend/DSCN1431.jpg

Brian Keith
04-02-2007, 3:17 PM
Thanks Brad that design works for me. What did you use for the legs?

Brad Townsend
04-02-2007, 4:07 PM
Thanks Brad that design works for me. What did you use for the legs? They are just pine 4x4s. Got a couple of 8 footers at Menards. The rest was 2x4s, plywood and carriage bolts I already had on hand. Not including the mobile base (Not sure if I'm even going to leave it on this - It slides fairly easy without one) I probably have about $25-30 in it.

Don Bullock
04-02-2007, 4:10 PM
Brad, that's a great stand. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Brad Townsend
04-02-2007, 4:50 PM
Brad, that's a great stand. Thanks for sharing it with us. Thanks Don, but I think I would really prefer your idea. Having the mortiser, DP and all the bits and such in one place sounds real nice.

Brian Keith
04-02-2007, 5:29 PM
I think Im going to build something like Brads idea bit incorporate a couple of drawers for bits and such.