PDA

View Full Version : dust bleeding

Gregory Barcus
04-01-2007, 8:51 PM
I have been experimenting with putting different types of wood together when making pens. I am having a problem when using African Coral wood and Maple together. The orange dust from the African Coral gets into the Maple. Any ideas on how to either prevent this or ways of getting that orange color out after sanding? I have a picture here of what I am talking about. The picture doesn’t show too much of the orange in the Maple, but it is there when you view it in a different light.

I put a coat of tung oil on it hoping to rub out the orange dust, but that only got out about 95% of the dust.

http://diycarstereo.com/images/IMG_1223.jpg

Brian Brown
04-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Gregory,

I can't really tell you what to do, but I can sure tell you what not to do. Don't use acetone or mineral spirits. They cause worse bleeding, and provide a fluid to make the stain travel worse. You might try an artist's kneaded eraser. It may work. Let me kinow what you find out. I have the same problem

Brian

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-02-2007, 1:03 AM
Gregory, the best thing that can suggest is to fill the wood pores before you do any sanding. Most of the time, this can be done with a few coats of sanding sealer, scraped off between coats. It the wood is really prone to bleeding, then apply light coats of Deft spray. Again, do this before any sanding. Once the pores are filled, you should be able to sand and finish without too much problem. Good luck.

Bob Way
04-02-2007, 11:09 AM
I've had pretty good luck blowing the dust off my segmented pieces with an air gun and compressor. I usually do that in-between grits and just before applying any finish.

Mike Vickery
04-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Padauk (african coral wood) has a naturally occuring dye in. I only used it in conjunction with a light colored wood once (that was enough). Malcoms suggestion of using deft to seal worked best of the things I tried.

Bill Wyko
04-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Also when you sand, sand in the direction of light wood to dark wood. That will draw the light dust towards the dark wood which isn't as noticeable. Nice pen too.

Mark Pruitt
04-02-2007, 1:17 PM
All I can say from experience is that Padauk dust is like the BIL/SIL that everybody dreads. It moves into your house and it never leaves.:rolleyes:

Gregory Barcus
04-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks for all your replies on this, I appreciate it very much!