PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail jig setup

Al Killian
04-01-2007, 5:47 PM
I just bought a HF dovetail jig and am haveing a problem with it. Sorry if I dont get the terms right. The pins that slide into the halfblind tails are not the same size. The pins seem to be about a 1/8" to big. What can be done to correct this? I figured I would ask before calling the tech line tommrow morning.
Al

Jim Becker
04-01-2007, 6:12 PM
Al...bit height is EVERYTHING when it comes to half-blind dovetails and jigs like the HF and others that cut the pins and tails concurrently. "Tighter - higher; Looser - lower"...and once you get the right bit height adjustment, make a sample to keep for next time to set up your router for that particular thickness material.

Al Killian
04-01-2007, 6:28 PM
Thanks Jim. I will go play with it in a few and see if I can get it adjusted properly.
Al

Richard Butler
04-02-2007, 12:43 AM
Absolute accuracy when setting up the router and jig is a must. Measure with a dial caliper if you have any doubt. A few months ago I bought my first dovetail jig. I measured everything with a dial caliper. Tried my first joint. It was a little loose. Raised the bit a hair and it was perfect. Went back and mesured my bit depth and found that I had not set it right the first time.