PDA

View Full Version : DW planner snipe problem

Brian Knop
12-22-2003, 11:07 PM
I am getting snipe on my wide boards. If I run 6" or less through I get know snipe, but the 10" or more boards snipe. They will snipe on one corner going through and on the opposite corner coming out. Anyone else seen this problem? I have tried running some wood through ahead and behind. The wood is always narrower. Maybe if they where as wide it would work better. But that seems like a lot of wasted wood.

thanks Brian

Frank Guerin
12-23-2003, 9:22 AM
Just a wild guess. Sounds like one of your springs under your lead roller has broke so now the planer is pushing the board on three points. Just for the heck of it try running your board in all the way to one side and see if the snipe lessens.

Lynn Sonier
12-23-2003, 5:13 PM
Brian, are you locking the head when you get the snipe? I just brought my planer to the shop for adjustment but haven't tried it yet. Also, you might try levelling the infeed and outfeed table as prescribed in the directions.

Wolf Kiessling
12-23-2003, 6:00 PM
I am getting snipe on my wide boards. If I run 6" or less through I get know snipe, but the 10" or more boards snipe. They will snipe on one corner going through and on the opposite corner coming out. Anyone else seen this problem? I have tried running some wood through ahead and behind. The wood is always narrower. Maybe if they where as wide it would work better. But that seems like a lot of wasted wood.

thanks Brian

All of the snipe problems I have experience with my DW733 have been due to misadjustments (on my part) of either the infeed or outfeed (or both) tables. This problem does not show up on short boards where the entire board is leveled on the planer table. However, if the board rests on both the center table plus the end of the infeed/outfeed table and the tables are not adjusted perfectly, you will invariable see some sniping.

Wolf

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-23-2003, 6:25 PM
Take the time to properly and accurately adjust your Dewalt Planer down to a "Gnat's Rear Side", and you will have little or no snipe. My Dewalt Planer was pretty good out of the box, but with a little TLC and some coaxing and tweaking, I have it to the point where there is NO snipe. I know, I know, some will say that all planers snipe some, but unless you are measuring with a Micrometer, there is no snipe with my unit. I know others that have the same results as I. Just check things out closely, keep the blades sharp, and check the setup often, and good results will follow. :D