PDA

View Full Version : Cactus Statesman

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
04-01-2007, 2:10 PM
Hi,

I am finally getting around to posting a Statesman roller ball pen I made with a resin casted cactus. I purchased the blank from a person who makes them by layering cactus ribs in the resin.

This one was clear and I painted the tube and the drilled hole with Testors Boot Black acrylic, two coats. I used epoxy to glue in the tubes.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_8167.jpg

The blank turned very nicely and the surface has a slight textured feel in places where the cactus is near the surface.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_8158.jpg

I finished the blank using MM and plastic polish.

Comments and critiques are all welcomed.:)

Joel Ficke
04-01-2007, 2:32 PM
Very cool Jim. Would you mind sharing the blank source with us? Pen is incredible!

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
04-01-2007, 3:26 PM
Very cool Jim. Would you mind sharing the blank source with us? Pen is incredible!

Thanks Joel,

Contact Curtis at www.TurnTex.com

Be sure to let him know I sent you..
:)

Thanks for the kind words about the pen..

Bernie Weishapl
04-01-2007, 4:07 PM
Wow Jim that is beautiful. Thanks for the link. Very nice job.

Brett Baldwin
04-01-2007, 6:27 PM
That is a cool effect painting the tube. I'll bet its better in person. Nice pens.

Jim Becker
04-01-2007, 6:29 PM
Curtis is an SMC member, too...
----

Another beautiful pen, Jim!

Jonathon Spafford
04-01-2007, 8:03 PM
That is the most amazing material... the patterns are really stunning! Super beautiful pen!!! The teeniest critique (which is more personal opinion than anything): I would possibly use a simpler pen kit... for me the gold band is a little bit of a distraction from the cactus pattern. It looks so beautiful that I don't think anyone else would notice it and of course everyone else might disagree! Anyway... awesome pen and keep 'em comin'! As always, I love your work!

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2007, 8:15 PM
Absolutely amazing pen Jim! Beautiful work! Great idea of painting the tube black - really highlights the cactus!

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
04-01-2007, 8:16 PM
That is the most amazing material... the patterns are really stunning! Super beautiful pen!!! The teeniest critique (which is more personal opinion than anything): I would possibly use a simpler pen kit... for me the gold band is a little bit of a distraction from the cactus pattern. It looks so beautiful that I don't think anyone else would notice it and of course everyone else might disagree! Anyway... awesome pen and keep 'em comin'! As always, I love your work!

Thank You Jonathon,

I thought exactly what you mentioned and I am glad you mentioned it. For a pen to work well I think the hardware and the material should have a visual balance. To some degree I also felt that the hardware on this pen might compete with the visual of the pen material...I will consider a different hardware kit for my next pen.

I like this combination for now, I have another one ready to go with a different Look..

Thanks for your critique:)

Curtis O. Seebeck
04-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Jim,

Beautiful pen! Nice to see it posted here. Personally, I like using the black titanium statesman trim with my cactus pens. That said, I made once almost exactly like yours this weekend. Clear blank, black painted inside, and gold titanium trim. The only difference is mine is a fountain pen.

Curtis O. Seebeck
04-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Yep, I am a member here like Jim B. posted. I am sad to say I have not had much time to post here though. I do come here daily, though to see what is going on!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Beautiful pen Jim! Beautiful!

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
04-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Jim,

Beautiful pen! Nice to see it posted here. Personally, I like using the black titanium statesman trim with my cactus pens. That said, I made once almost exactly like yours this weekend. Clear blank, black painted inside, and gold titanium trim. The only difference is mine is a fountain pen.

Thanks Curtis,

I have not cracked into the coloured blanks yet, the clear ones offer me a wide range of colour options. My model paints are coming in useful!

Thanks for the critique, I have a BI on the bench now with the next blank.:D