PDA

View Full Version : Built in work bench ideas, please.

Jim O'Dell
04-01-2007, 11:30 AM
I'm looking for some ideas on building a quick/cheap workbench. This will be built in to an "alcove" of sorts in the shop, and therefore not the typical stand alone woodworking work bench that has stock and tail vices. This is where I'll have my 2 Snap-On wall boxes with hand tools mounted. This area is for building small things, or working on non-woodworking stuff, like rebuilding a lawn mower engine, to hand drilling, to radio pre-installation assembly, etc. Not for fine woodworking per se. I will have my small shop vice mounted on top, probably on the left end.
My initial thoughts were to use MDF doubled up for the bench top. But the more I think about drilling into it, the more I think I should use something else...maybe 2X4's on edge? The back outside legs will be some doubled up 2X6s with 1/2" OSB between them that are left over cutoffs from some headers. The front legs will be 4X4 Douglas Fir. If need be, I will put in 2 middle legs of 2X4 or some more 4X4 DF. Each of the legs will have heavy duty adustable feet mounted to them to level the bench. I may also secure the bench to the walls, once leveled...haven't decided on that yet. I'll use 2X6 for top stretchers. Will I need bottom stretchers? or will built in shelving between the legs serve for this purpose?
Thanks for your help! Jim.

Ben Grunow
04-01-2007, 2:20 PM
My shop surfaces are all 3/4 CDX and they serve me fine for what I do. PLus they are flat and cheap to replace if they get oil soaked or too many holes/gouges etc..

I started with a 2x4 cleat on the wall (4" screws, 2 per stud) set level and worked from there with no real plan. The attachment to the walls keeps them from miving so no strtchers are necessary but they are nice for shelves and resting the feet. The cleat is continued across the front, in 2x6 (with a 2x4 inside of the 2x6, but held down 1 1/2" so 2x4's on the flat can be laid over the whole top) and double 2x4 legs go under the wall cleat and the front apron of 2x6/4. Then, after the 2x4's on the flat goes the layer (or layers if you wish) of plywood. No finish for me but that is up to you.

I also added a 2x2 on the front for a little overhang to allow clamping, etc..

Plenty strong, reasonably flat and cheap/quick. Its nice to have a bench you dont mind putting a nail or screw into now and then.

See...

Ben

Jules Dominguez
04-02-2007, 12:31 AM
I'd think a simple 2x4 top frame with 2x4 legs and a 3/4" plywood or MDF top would provide adequate strength and rigidity for the work you describe. If you want to beef it up, double-thickness the top. If you want to beef it up more, make each leg out of two 2x4's planed and glued together into an L cross-section.