PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Questions

Glen Walker
04-01-2007, 3:31 AM
Good Evening Guys,
I reciently purchased a 8" Shop Fox Jointer, and what a beast it is. Ive checked the beds and they seem to be flat with no twist. But being new to using jointers I have a couple of questions, I was running a piece of pine thru, and noticed that when feeding it in from the infeed table side, evertime I stopped feeding and started again there would be a small notch. Should I change my technique and begin "pulling the board across from the outfeed side once its crossed the blade? Also when feeding it how much down pressure should I use, any tips and tricks that you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Curt Harms
04-01-2007, 4:17 AM
whether I'm doing it right or not. I start a piece with light pressure holding it down in front and most of the feed pressure from the back. When there's 9" to 12" past the cutter head I shift the down pressure to the outfeed table and apply only horizontal pressure to the rear of the stock. My understanding is that you don't want to push down on stock any more than necessary before it passes over the cutterhead. It will spring back once past the cutterhead defeating the purpose of face jointing. I'll be interested to see what others say.

Curt

Terry Beadle
04-01-2007, 9:58 AM
When using a jointer, I always think of it like a wood plane jointer, just powered. If you stop a hand plane mid stroke, then you usually get a little gotcha that you have to swipe clean on the next stroke. I agree with the comments regarding pressure being applied to the out feed table after getting the first third or so of a board. Just set your body so that you can do the piece with one even steady feed pressure. If the board is too long for that, I would use a longer feed block or a lighter touch. A steady even push through the entire board is what I try to do.

Practice makes perfect too so don't be afraid to use a piece of scrap to get your stroke system working for the best.

Happy shavings!

Joe Chritz
04-01-2007, 10:47 AM
It takes some practice. Long boards are much more difficult but with practice you should be able to do 8 foot edge jointing on that jointer without much problems.

Once the board is "engaged" a short distance on the outfeed hold down and push it through slow and steady. If edge jointing you will also need a slight pressure to hold it to the fence. The trailing edge, or the edge over the infeed will just float along.

Think the movements through because it is easy to get sloppy on a jointer.

Joe

robert micley
04-01-2007, 11:06 AM
the jointer to me is the trickiest machine.i apply pressure on the outfeed part after you get some length of stock through.when pushing the stock through i do not use a flat push stick because you will be pressing down on the infeed table.your infeed push stick or platform should have a hook at end to push stock without applying down pressure.it takes some practice on the faces.the edging is much easier because you just push your stock face against the fence

Craig D Peltier
04-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Since we are on jointer questions, is a bad thing to joint glued together pieces? I know its not ideal but if i remember correctly it can be done, just be smart about it.
Sorry to hijack but I think the question has been answered.
Thanks