PDA

View Full Version : Finally done! A place for my Makita SCMS

Jeff Kerr
03-31-2007, 11:52 PM
Well it took me longer than I wanted but I finally got my New Makita LS1214FL set up in its new home.

I started building these cabinets last fall for this purpose but I had a different saw at the time. The Makita is a much larger footprint so I needed to make some adjustments to the receeded shelf in order to accomodate the slider.

The setup gives me about 6 feet to the left of the saw and 4 feet to the right. I still need to make the drawer boxes but this will give me a lot more storage.

The units are on casters. and I put the carcasses together with pocket screws. They are made from the Chinese Birch ply at the borg. The counter top is two 3/4 inch MDF slabs glued togther with hardboard on top. I trimmed it in pine. There is no trim across the back so I can remove the hardboard top in the future when it needs to be replaced for stains or wear.

I owe a lot of what I have been able to accomplish to the good folks here at SMC. I have learned a great deal from your posts and encouragement of each other. So my thanks to each of you. ;)

I would have loved to been able to post something as awesome as Jim Becker's cantalevered Saw station, but I just haven't mastered that level of skill yet. :D 61546 61547 61548

By the way. This Makita saw is pretty darn nice. One of the best deals I have ever gotten from Amazon. :p

Tim Malyszko
04-01-2007, 8:36 AM
Very nice SCMS station. It looks great, yet based on your description, it seemed fairly easy to make - a perfect addition to any shop with a miter saw. It looks like you just gave yourself a lot of storage and a couple of great surface areas for all sorts of work, not to mention convenient, mobile surfaces. That's a good idea to put it on casters and something I'll keep in mind if I ever get around to building one for myself.

Nice job.

Tyler Howell
04-01-2007, 8:46 AM
Every SCMS Needs a good home.;)
Well Done.

Per Swenson
04-01-2007, 8:58 AM
Nice Jeff,

Now you have to make a extended fence.

I did mine on the radial arm saw by putting threaded inserts

in the top. Made a L out of MDF, slotted the holes for adjustability.

Added some stick on tape measure, left and right.

Then crafted a movable stop.

Cheap, fast ,easy and accurate.

Per

Jeff Kerr
04-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Per,

Thanks for the tip. That is a great idea.

Tim,

Casters are great. Anytime Harbor Freight has some on sale I go get a few. $3-4 each for swivels isn't bad. Even though this thing has weight to it to hold it steady I wish I had opted for some locking casters. Looks like I am going to make a few wheel chocks. Good thing WW'ing creates scraps :p

Tyler,

Thanks for the complement. I agree. It does deserve a home and this is one nice saw.

Don Bullock
04-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Great dsign. I love all the storage inder the top. Per's idea would be a useful addition.

Joe Chritz
04-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Looks very familar. ;)

I have a fence like Per describes on the short to do list but haven't gotten there yet.

You will like that set up a lot. Mine gets used everytime I am in the shop. Now to find a good method of dust collection.

Joe

Per Swenson
04-01-2007, 11:00 AM
No problem Jeff,

Movable stop...

make a u outa MDF, (sounds godfatherish?)

use another threaded insert with a thumb screw to secure.

Set you back a buck.

Per

Bruce Page
04-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Jeff, great looking saw station! I wish I had the wall space to dedicate to my CMS. I usually just throw it onto some saw horses. :(