PDA

View Full Version : Super Buy on Freud FT1700 2 1/4hp Router

Allen Boynton
03-31-2007, 11:36 PM
Stopped by my local Lowe's tonight to pick up a few things. Noticed that they have a 15% sale on all of their power tools. While I didn't need anything, I thought maybe there would be something that I couldn't live without. I found that the Freud FT1700 2 1/4 hp vs Router had been reduced from 169.00 to 149.00. With the 15% off it came to 126.65. For that price, I figure I can come up with something to do with it. I have the Freud 3 hp in my main router table, PC 694 2 1/4 hp in my other table and a PC 690 for handheld. I'll probably switch out the new Freud with the PC 694.

Just thought I'd give a heads up in case anyone was looking for a new router.

scott spencer
04-01-2007, 6:34 AM
Hi Allen - I've got a big MW5625 and an FT1700. I find myself plopping the FT1700 in the router table over the 5625 most of the time b/c of the above table features. If you're big router doesn't all the above table features, you might want to give it a go...it's not as powerful, but is very convenient.

Good luck with it.

Paul Greathouse
04-08-2007, 9:11 PM
Scott and Allen

At the price Allen got it for, I am thinking of buying 2, and dedicating them for table use for Rail & Stile cabinet door sets. That way I won't have to keep switching bits and can just keep the panel raising bit on my PC7518.

My question is, considering how the two of you have used yours, is their 13 amps enough power for a typical rail and stile set without bogging down? I would be running entire sets of kitchen cabinet doors at one time, not just an occasional door here and there. The PC 7518 is more than enought at 15amps so I am hoping 13amps for the Freud would be adequate.

I don't have any of the midsize routers yet. my router arsenal jumps from PC690's up to the 7518.

Burt Waddell
04-08-2007, 9:22 PM
Paul,

I have no experience with the Freud's but I believe the bosch 1617 are 11 amps and handle the rail and style bits with no problems.

Burt

scott spencer
04-09-2007, 6:13 AM
Scott and Allen

At the price Allen got it for, I am thinking of buying 2, and dedicating them for table use for Rail & Stile cabinet door sets. That way I won't have to keep switching bits and can just keep the panel raising bit on my PC7518.

My question is, considering how the two of you have used yours, is their 13 amps enough power for a typical rail and stile set without bogging down? I would be running entire sets of kitchen cabinet doors at one time, not just an occasional door here and there. The PC 7518 is more than enought at 15amps so I am hoping 13amps for the Freud would be adequate.

I don't have any of the midsize routers yet. my router arsenal jumps from PC690's up to the 7518.

I'd think the FT1700 would have enough power, but it really depends on how often you'll be doing them...it's still more demanding than a typical roundover. I don't see the FT1700 replacing a PC7518 or MW5625 for production use. Also, if it's going to be a dedicated setup with few bit changes, I'd think that'd minimize the advantages of the above table features, so why not just go for a big router there?

Paul Greathouse
04-09-2007, 7:11 AM
I'd think the FT1700 would have enough power, but it really depends on how often you'll be doing them...it's still more demanding than a typical roundover. I don't see the FT1700 replacing a PC7518 or MW5625 for production use. Also, if it's going to be a dedicated setup with few bit changes, I'd think that'd minimize the advantages of the above table features, so why not just go for a big router there?

I was mainly considering price, the big routers are going to cost roughly twice as much. With the Freud I would still be able to take advatage of the above table features from time to time. As for power, the Freud is the only midsize router I have seen with a 13amp rating. I was thinking for the price, the 13amp rating may be the best match for the rail and stile bits short of going with a the big 15amp router. I would also feel pretty safe with the Freud name.
My shops not a full blown production shop either, but I do plan on getting back into a side line cabinet business like I had done several years before. I would probably be doing 4-5 sets of kitchen cabinets a year to start. I'm looking for an early retirement supplimental income so I can stop working shift work before I'm an old man.

Charles McCracken
04-09-2007, 8:19 AM
Paul,

The FT1700VCE will do a fine job running the rail and stile bits. And it's backed by a 90 day satisfaction guarantee as well as a 5 year warranty.

Robert Mahon
04-09-2007, 10:27 AM
From experience, get the Freud.

Paul Greathouse
04-09-2007, 1:31 PM
Thank You, to everyone for the responses, I'll have to see if my Lowes store has any left...Paul

Art Mann
04-09-2007, 6:16 PM
I bought the FT1700 when they were offering a free plunge base. I like the table routing features a lot. My only disappointment has been that the edge guide is on back order everywhere and is unavailable at the moment. I had to resort to using my heavy and clumsy Hitachi M12V for cutting some mortises because of this. If you have an edge guide application right away, just be aware.

Paul Greathouse
04-09-2007, 10:34 PM
I picked up one FT1700 from Lowes this afternoon, I will be back tomorrow for the second one. I will be building my two router Rail and stile table.
These routers are great, rack and pinion level adjustment, plenty of power from the 13 amp motor. It is all I could have asked for and more in such a simple design. Thanks again for the heads up on the special pricing.

Charles McCracken
04-10-2007, 7:17 AM
Art,

Sorry about the lack of supply on the edge guides. Productions was obviously not up to demand. It looks like a shipment is scheduled to arrive at the end of this month.