PDA

View Full Version : Long time listener, First time caller

Marc Martindale
03-31-2007, 9:06 PM
Thanks to this great forum and all the wonderful people here, most of what I have learned in the past year, I learned here.:)

I'm pretty new to woodworking and totally new to turning, and picked up the Jet mini w/chuck last summer. Yes, I already seem to be caught in a whirl of money and fun.. the Vortex.

I decided to get into turning a little more (small boxes got me started and now I have moved into bigger things such as bowls) and want to get a bigger lathe. I know you'll all call out "Mustard!" or "Mayo!", but I thought I'd like to stay in the $1000 range. That puts me at a Jet 1442 or a Nova 1624. So here's the question:

On April 14th all Jet and PM are 10% off at Woodcraft making it:

Jet 1442 $800
or
Nova 1624 $1000

What say you?

PS - I have figured out most acronyms except SWMBO??? no clue.:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2007, 9:17 PM
Marc............Welcome to the Creek!

SWMBO....She Who Must Be Obeyed..........

I can't advise you on which of the two lathes! I haven't driven either one. Still driving my Mayo Light....Jet VS Mini..........Later this fall I hope to switch to mustard. Good luck with your decision!

BTW......I turn bowls on my Jet Mini.....just a little smaller in diameter!

Christopher K. Hartley
03-31-2007, 9:18 PM
Mark the 1442 is a heavy lathe and well worth the money. In that price range it is the best in my opinion. While other lathes in that range may have additional features that are nice I still believe you get what you pay for. I have not heard any negatives about the Nova but I am really not all that familiar with it. Guess I'm just a Mayo Lite guy at heart.:)I'm sorry Marc, I almost forgot. WELCOME to the ABYSS!!:D :D

Bernie Weishapl
03-31-2007, 9:40 PM
Welcome Marc to the black hole of turning. Join the crowd. I would say either lathe would be just fine. I did get to turn on the Nova and it is a sweet machine. The 1442 has some good heft to it. Either would serve you well.

Chip Sutherland
03-31-2007, 9:46 PM
I love my mayo. I was a price shopper and bought mine for the same price as you. I was approved by SWMBO for the Jet 1642 but I knew I needed several SuperNova chucks, grinder, wolverine, tools, tools, etc. No way was I gonna get those extra purchases approved. I have no regrets at all. I started on the Jet Mini and turned 9 and half church collection bowls at 9 3/4 diameter each. Now I use the Mini for a dedicated Beall buffer but I've used it to turn finials and collars for bowls on the 1442.

Will the 1442 be my last lathe....Nope. But my next one is gonna be twice price of regular mustard. That's when I get to all the bells and whistles. But that'll be after 2 colleges and 2 weddings.

You will have years of great turnings with either one. I turned on a Nova DVR (comparable to the Jet 1642) at a Woodcraft class and had a blast on it but didn't even use any of the special features.

Neal Addy
03-31-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm a Mayo Light fan as well (own a 1442) but there are times I wish I had a bit lower-end speed. The Nova bottoms out at 215 RPM, the Jet at 450. Reverse (available on the Nova) would also be nice. And, of course, there are two extra inches of swing on the Nova.

That said, the Jet has a great, quality-built feel to it and the cast iron construction makes it rock-solid. It handles everything I throw at it. The indexing and sliding head stock features (as well as pivot) are nice. I still love this machine.

Still, if I could do it over again I wouldn't go for either lathe. I'd start with a 1642. A Mustard or Mayo would be better, but the 1642 doesn't make quite as much dent in the wallet.

Andy Hoyt
03-31-2007, 10:23 PM
Mustard or Mayo Light. Nah.

Here's some full carb all cholesterol mayo for ya. :D (http://www.oneway.on.ca/lathes/1224lathe.htm)

Jeff Moffett
03-31-2007, 10:23 PM
Welcome, Marc! In my book, you certainly win the award for the best first time poster subject line. :)

Joseph N. Myers
03-31-2007, 11:19 PM
Marc,

Welcome to the forum!

For acronyms, try the following:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27040&highlight=acronym

Regards, Joe

George Tokarev
04-01-2007, 6:47 AM
I've had the predecessor of the 1624 for two years this month. Used 3000. It's a nice lathe. Rigid where it counts, and since you can bolt on any amount of weight, that's what you want, rigidity. It has an excellent banjo design that helps you reach forward, a great rest that does the same mounted to it. Never realized how a simple thing like a non-centered post could buy greater tool stability until I used it.

The lowest speed is fine, but you'll grow a beard waiting for the next pass. It's the 360 that I like. With the degree of prep I do on a blank that's as low as I go unless it's been soaking on one side and can't be brought into balance even when circular. That and the 680 are where I work. Can't remember last time I had the speed higher, though belt changes are 30 second jobs.

Warning, should you get one and try and make the first bowl a "max diameter." They list it as a 400mm, and on mine, with the old bed, they do mean 400mm, which is 15 3/4! Teknatool has some problems in that regard. Their 75mm jaws fit a minimum 82 opening.

Rex Guinn
04-01-2007, 9:20 AM
Marc;
Check this out before you make a choice. For the money this seems like a great lathe. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/6/

Bill Blasic
04-01-2007, 9:47 AM
I do not believe that you will find a better lathe or a lathe with more features than the Nova for the initial outlay. 16" over the bed, 29" off the bed, reverse, low speed, easy belt change to mention a few things that you will find are very important till your ready to upgrade to that next level of 20 - 24" of swing. My 2 cents.

Burt Alcantara
04-01-2007, 10:04 AM
I've had the 1624 for about 3 months. It's my first lathe. Most of my turnings are in the 6" range. That's mostly a limitation dictated by the small logs that I find here and there.

The purchase price was $999 with a G3 chuck. Don't know why they dont include a hand wheel or spanner wrench but otherwise, it's complete. Does the Woodcraft deal offer include the chuck?

The Nova has taken over my life. It's all I want to do. I forget to eat, stay up too late and have forgotten SWMBO's name.

Burt

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Marc - Welcome to the Creek!! Which ever lathe you end up getting, I am sure you will be happy with it. Be sure to start posting - and include lots of pictures! Have fun!

George Tokarev
04-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Don't know why they dont include a hand wheel or spanner wrench but otherwise, it's complete. Does the Woodcraft deal offer include the chuck?

I got the handwheel in the package with my used one, but knowing what I know, I'd buy one. Can't really make one too easily, and it's very useful for aligning, inspecting, even for truly slow lathe rotation while sanding. As to the spanner, they do sell one, but I found a set of Channel locks narrow enough to fit between bearing and body of the chuck. Little grinding will protect the chuck insert from being chewed up.

Marc Martindale
04-01-2007, 1:55 PM
With no negatives mentioned on the Nova, I'm leaning in that direction. I wanted to see if anyone would bring up any problem with it so I could get the Jet on sale on the 14th. In all the searching I've done so far I haven't seen any.

The Nova seems to have all the capability I'd ever need. But I've said that so many times in the past on other things that I know it's just a justification line now..

There is no deal on the Nova right now (like free G3 chuck), but I'm pretty sure that the month after I get it, it'll be 10% off or something free.

I know that a Jet 1642 (1.5hp) is not so far away from $1000, but thought that If I ever needed to upgrade again or it fell out of use (unimaginable), I could unload this one on a family member at around half price and not feel too bad.

Thanks agin for all the comments and welcomes,
Marc