PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Finished

Tim Dorcas
03-31-2007, 8:20 PM
I have finished my workbench and thought I would share. Mostly I want new woodworkers to know building one is possible. Of course once you finish it, you'll want to build another using the skills you just learned. It is my estimation that I will build a new one in couple of years once my skillset has improved. In the meantime, this will have to do.

There are some construction notes on my site and more pictures.

Ralph Okonieski
03-31-2007, 8:51 PM
Pretty nice looking workbench. Well done!

Roy McQuay
03-31-2007, 9:05 PM
Looks to me if you build another one in a few years, you will need room for 2. This one looks like it will serve you for life. Nice job.

jonathan snyder
04-01-2007, 1:29 AM
Tim,

Nice bench! I'm in the planning stage. How did you cut the dog holes, router or dado stack? Are those homemade dogs?

Thanks
Jonathan

Anthony Anderson
04-01-2007, 2:00 AM
Very Nice Tim. BTW I will take that one off your hands when you replace it:D. Great Work. Thanks for sharing. Bill

Jesse Thornton
04-01-2007, 2:56 AM
Fine looking bench, Tim. Is that spruce?

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-01-2007, 8:03 AM
Sweet bench.

I can never have such a fine bench as I trash mine regularly and It'd bring me to tears to be pounding nails and driving screws in such a lovely work.

Tim Dorcas
04-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Tim,

Nice bench! I'm in the planning stage. How did you cut the dog holes, router or dado stack? Are those homemade dogs?

Thanks
Jonathan

The Dog Holes is one of the areas I really screwed up. Keeping in mind that building this workbench was a learning experience...I had a drill press mortising attachment that I bought on sale last year that I thought would be perfect. It sucked. After two holes I abandoned this technique. Next up I tried to drill a hole and chisel out the waste. This worked better but it still didn't give the fit I was looking for. I knew I was missing something obvious and then it came to me. Dados. I was not actually creating a hole. I was actually just squaring out waste on a edge. When I glued it to the next piece I would get my instant dog hole. Routing a dado really helped clean up the mess I had already made and allowed me to finish off the rest of the holes.

And I did indeed make the bench dogs. At some point I will add a spring clamp to finish them off. However, they work really well as is. And they are really strong.

Tim Dorcas
04-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Sweet bench.

I can never have such a fine bench as I trash mine regularly and It'd bring me to tears to be pounding nails and driving screws in such a lovely work.

There is a lot truth in that. Considering I just finished it I aware of how much I don't want to mess it up. However, that's the whole reason I made it so let the scratches, dings and dents begin!